A quote from Joe Taylor's book

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

Roger
Grade I Winner

A quote from Joe Taylor's book

Postby Roger » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:47 pm

I love this book because its so practical!

"In terms of genetic influence, it is more interesting than helpful to research the pedigree of a horse beyond the fourth generation. An isolated ancestor beyond the fourth generation is unlikely to have much effect on the next generation. Then, too, there is the matter of the hank-panky that went on with the Stud Book back before we had blood typing. Prior to the advent of blood typing, I believe the Stud Book is only about 85% accurate."
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness
Try it you will like it.

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Re: A quote from Joe Taylor's book

Postby Hold Your Peace » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:12 pm

Roger wrote:I love this book because its so practical!

"In terms of genetic influence, it is more interesting than helpful to research the pedigree of a horse beyond the fourth generation. An isolated ancestor beyond the fourth generation is unlikely to have much effect on the next generation. Then, too, there is the matter of the hank-panky that went on with the Stud Book back before we had blood typing. Prior to the advent of blood typing, I believe the Stud Book is only about 85% accurate."

I love this book too.

Among many useful quotes "Follow the trends. You'll go broke before you set your on trend".

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:04 am

I'm surprised he puts the percentage as high as 85%. What with hanky panky, honest mistakes, and mares exchanging foals (two mares exchange bay fillies--perhaps by the same sire--that sort of thing) Plus some well known historical questions about who sired who, it wouldn't take much to throw the whole stud book off kilter.

For example if Eclipse was actually sired by Shakespear not Marske, just about all the pedigrees would be wrong.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:31 am

Could you post the title of this book? I want to get a copy.

Roger
Grade I Winner

Postby Roger » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:10 am

Bohemia wrote:Could you post the title of this book? I want to get a copy.

"Joe Taylor's Complete Guide to Breeding & Raising Racehorses" Its a must read book. I don't know if its still in print. The Russell Meerdink Company is publisher
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness

Try it you will like it.

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Postby Hold Your Peace » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:03 am

Roger wrote:
Bohemia wrote:Could you post the title of this book? I want to get a copy.

"Joe Taylor's Complete Guide to Breeding & Raising Racehorses" Its a must read book. I don't know if its still in print. The Russell Meerdink Company is publisher

I found a used copy for a friend (I wasn't giving up mine) by searching on Amazon one time.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:30 am

Currently, there are 18 used copies on Amazon priced at $4.89+ and three on eBay from $14-20.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks, Madelyn!

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:50 am

Thanks, Madelyn!

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:02 am

Roger, you should read RACING HORSES by Bill O'Gorman. Here is a fragment of a paragraph from his thoughts on pedigrees.

"On the pedigree front we should be very flexible. There is an enormous amount of pedigree expertise available, but it is noticeable that much of it seems to be provided by thoses who have not themselves been outstandingly successful as owners or breeders . We need to remember that basically our purchase will be unable to call on his relatives in his (her) hour of need . . . "

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:39 pm

I think my favorite quote of Joe's is something to the effect that "You will run out of money before you run out of opportunities to buy a good horse." I used to write that in the front cover of my sales catalogs whenever I went to the sales as a buyer.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:33 am

A little off-topic, but I was able to buy this book through Amazon for less than $5, and it was an autographed copy by Mr. Taylor, to boot, signed in 1995. Looking forward to kicking back with it over this long weekend.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:32 am

Me too! Got it for myself as an early Christmas present. I wish I'd read this five years ago.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....