Broodmare Opinion

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

newby
Suckling

Broodmare Opinion

Postby newby » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:29 pm

I recently acquired a mare and would like some opinions relating to her pedigree for breeding or should I completely pass on the idea of breeding her?

Social Way

Thanks!

parlo
Grade I Winner

Postby parlo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:23 am

How can you dare to acquire an unraced "FB"-mare after all those stuff with which our dear Louis has tried to indoctrinate us of some 6 years by now?

(:shock: :? :D : Of course, this is a joke! Never mind. :wink:)

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:19 am

parlo wrote:How can you dare to acquire an unraced "FB"-mare after all those stuff with which our dear Louis has tried to indoctrinate us of some 6 years by now?

(:shock: :? :D : Of course, this is a joke! Never mind. :wink:)

I'm surprised Louis hasn't already been here forecasting DOOM, sure and certain DOOM. 8)
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Newby,
Congrats on your new mare. The previous 2 posters are referring to another poster you may have read a thread with a page or 2 (or 700)..

Anyway, your mare was unraced and her family is mostly regional check-getter racehorses. There isnt a lot of stellar talent in the pedigree.

Personally I wouldn't breed her, and just keep her a nice riding horse.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:59 am

Female line goes back with DARK STAR as a broodmare sire. Don't see that much and he really wasn't a very good producer in NA or EU. Nothing jumps out at me as far as potential although Social Way's mare had a good runner by DEVIL HIS DUE.

Breeding her appears to be somewhat of gamble, but if you are adamant about breeding get some "serious" professional advice with second opinions. As you know everything involved in horseracing is a "gamble."

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:22 am

I would have to agree that this mare has absolutely nothing going for her, she is unraced from an immediate female family that has not produced many, if any, superior runners. I would not breed her, but it would not be the first time that an unraced mare from a less than average family produced a superior runner, it does happen, but like Shammy said, it would be a very large gamble. Good luck with what ever you decide to do with her.

DDT

newby
Suckling

Postby newby » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks for your opinions! I'm not going to breed her. But I also have a filly by Invasor. Definitely not of age to breed, but I'm trying to decide what to do with her. What's your opinion on her pedigree?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/la+bailadora4

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:22 pm

You have an interesting pedigree here loaded with some very good sires throughout. No problems with the tail male. The tail female line 1-n is known for Wrack, Swale, Shadeed, and Genuine Risk but in the last five generations hasn't produced a whole lot. For all her racing talent, Genuine Risk only produced a couple of live foals and I don't even think either made it to the track. All the mares (four back) were winners but there are no Blue Hens back to 1900 and the last three mares have only had a few successes at stud. Once again nothing jumps out at me but, as DDT noted previously, like just about every one else I've got a couple of mares here that I like and I'm sure no one else would take notice of them. You need to search out a stallion that will give this filly's get a boost or you are holding a dying pedigree. Why don't you see how your filly does on the track and go from there.

As an aside, most "mare and filly" pedigrees come up looking short on production anyway so that is not necessarily a death sentence for future progeny. Only 3% of each NA annual foal crop become stakes winners. It doesn't take much to do the math. It looks to me that just over 1000 mares each year would be considered stakes producers. If you take the figure of 20% of an annual foal crop becoming a starter that puts the number of mares with a chance of producing a winner at 7000. Out of an annual foal crop of 30K plus or minus a few thousand, the odds are dismal.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:23 pm

One of the most interesting coments from brogers (on another thread) talked about the studies looking at the interaction between mtDNA and regular chromosome DNA.

I'd go looking for the best stallion from the same mtDNA family. Get a better chance of matching up chromosomes that work with the mtDNA your mare is going to hand off to her foal.

Free advice, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi

Not a bad female family. The first dam, Fapindy, was a winner (router) and a half sibling to the the $146,570 earner Amanda's Winner, and to the minor stakes placed winner Hallowed, and also to the stakes winner Silver Lace. The 2nd dam Aroz was also a winner at route distances and was a half sibling to 8 winners, 2 stakes winners (one G3 placed) and to 4 stakes placed winners (2 graded). The 3rd dam, Round the Rosie, was a winner and half sister to the stakes winners Bosun and Thorn. Another unraced half sister, Ukala, by Swaps, was the dam of the stakes winner Kiss Me Darlin. This is the family of the conduit mare, Skyscraper, also the conduit of the St Leger winner, High Chapparral and the sires Matty G, Adonis, Reneged, and Smoke Glacken, etc.
I see some upside if she is well put together physically, and astute judgement is made in selecting the right match. Good luck with her. Shammy, as usual, put forth some excellent advice.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:56 pm

Hey Bill, I was wondering wherre you were hiding. It's so great to hear your thoughts on these pedigrees again. Hope all is well with you.

Xfactor makes a great point about finding a stallion with the same MtDNA. "Breeding back" to renew a waning pedigree is just about all that is available, other than taking a chance on an outcross and the odds are high for that. The only stallions of any significance I could find from 1-n were Alphabet Soup and Disco Rico in NY. I'm sure there are more. Doesn't look like we'll run out of 1-x stallions anytime soon.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 am

Hi Newby

I think you've got some good opinions here. Not all is negative - but as with genetics I would focus on the positives and hope to emphasize/reinforce.

Couple of observations -

- Farma Way as a broodmare sire was ranked 12th by BMSPI of Ky bred turf runners in 2011 (ahead of some real top notch turf sires) He was 12th in 2010. BMSPI calculation gives a chance to a sire that has not been bred to the best. But his overall BMSPI is less than 1 (not good), so I would run with the turf affinity

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/breviewr ... PI&dir=Bms

- This article on Einstein has a few rabbit trails for you about Spend a Buck. (Breeding to him would be perilously close - but he's a great looking son of a gun) Spend a buck line might be more potent than heretofore believed, just have to have the right affinity.

http://sidfernando.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... stein-brz/

As the more experienced above opinions attest, it would be a gamble for the track. On the other hand, if you're a person who would be able to work a foal into a second career yourself if the races weren't his game, its all the more appealing. Mare's conformation, temperament etc real important of course. Let us know which way you go.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:16 pm

Newby asks about a mare she just bought and the first two responders start bashing Louis and ignore newby's question

Hell, at least give him a chance to make a statement you don't like before you start in on him.. .

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]