Rogue thoroughbreds, mares and colts

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Rogue thoroughbreds, mares and colts

Postby kezeli » Thu May 10, 2012 6:50 am

Ok, I started the stallion thread and it seems to have fizzled a bit. What I am looking to do is get some good first/second hand tales of PITA types. How they are/were delt with and so forth. Let's get started :)
Genuine Risk LOVED to dump her exercise girl in the same spot DAILY, looked like she was tickled to do it.
Thats not espessialy mean just smart.
I'm sure others have noticed the tough ones are the smartest.
I wouldn't want to be the person to start Zen's colt LOL!! Don't be put off, most people in the industry have heard who's nasty and who is just plain savage so have at it, we need some more HORSE CHAT!!!

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Thu May 10, 2012 9:39 pm

I currently train a filly who has been the bane of vets around the state. She hates needles. We have found a way around her, after a year of bumps, bruises, cuts, and swellings (on us, not her, btw). Sh rears straight up at the sight of a needle and syringe, or really even just a syringe (doesn't like oral meds, either) and pivots so the handler is right in front of her. She will also throw her shoulder on you as she goes up if a syringe is present. Spent $20 on the little plastic "bit" to give oral meds with, never got it closer than 8 feet from her, lol. She isn't mean, is actually very sweet as long as you don't do one of the things on her list of Things You Are Not Allowed To Do. That list includes needles, oral meds, clippers, scissors, and braiding. I actually love the hell out of her and appreciate her intelligence, she has made me a better horseman, that's for sure! She loves racing and training, has won 3 races in her first 11 months of running, missed 3rd in a Stakes race by a half a nostril, and is a doll in the paddock and gates. One of the smartest horses I have ever been around, if not always compliant :lol:

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Fri May 11, 2012 7:29 am

photofinish wrote:I currently train a filly who has been the bane of vets around the state. She hates needles. We have found a way around her, after a year of bumps, bruises, cuts, and swellings (on us, not her, btw). Sh rears straight up at the sight of a needle and syringe, or really even just a syringe (doesn't like oral meds, either) and pivots so the handler is right in front of her. She will also throw her shoulder on you as she goes up if a syringe is present. Spent $20 on the little plastic "bit" to give oral meds with, never got it closer than 8 feet from her, lol. She isn't mean, is actually very sweet as long as you don't do one of the things on her list of Things You Are Not Allowed To Do. That list includes needles, oral meds, clippers, scissors, and braiding. I actually love the hell out of her and appreciate her intelligence, she has made me a better horseman, that's for sure! She loves racing and training, has won 3 races in her first 11 months of running, missed 3rd in a Stakes race by a half a nostril, and is a doll in the paddock and gates. One of the smartest horses I have ever been around, if not always compliant :lol:

How do you get the meds into her? Darts?

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Fri May 11, 2012 8:04 am

I had one like that years ago, for a while I could hide her meds in O.J. till she saw me mix it in one day, after that she went without. Hope she never got sick!!

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Fri May 11, 2012 4:23 pm

docjocoy wrote:
photofinish wrote::lol:

How do you get the meds into her? Darts?

No darts, those are actually regulated, believe it or not, average everday vet can't get 'em. I can't give up my trade secret on her until she is done racing, then we'll let ya know. Her reputation allowed me to safely run her last out for $5,000 and get her Starter eligible, gotta keep that one under my hat for a bit :lol:

cissiny
Yearling

Postby cissiny » Sat May 12, 2012 9:09 am

Well... English is not my first language, the horses I described are "a little bit too intelligent", does not at all fit in the category "rogue". I want to apologize for posting where I should not have done that, I've deleted my post.

Sorry :oops:

Best wishes,
Cissi in Sweden
Last edited by cissiny on Sun May 13, 2012 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat May 12, 2012 9:41 am

I once had a big, beautiful Moscow Ballet mare who was just a brute. She simmered through palpations, ultrasounds, etc., barely tolerated folks, but once she had a foal she would just Take You Out. My husband, with good intentions, opened her stall door the morning after a foaling to put in some clean straw and she reared up and struck at him with both forefeet, lunging. He got the door slammed shut in time. Another time after foaling, my son was tasked with leading her and the foal out.. the foal got a couple of feet behind, lagging - the mare whirled up in the air, struck him on the shoulder with both forefeet, and then spun and kicked, double barreled, his thigh. God bless my kid, he still didn't let go of the rope. The only time her eye ever softened and she stood for anything resembling bathing, grooming, etc., was if she was sick or in pain.

She finally left here on a trailer last year - someone really wanted her - and I was not at all sad to see her go..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Sat May 12, 2012 10:48 am

I once had a horse that was pretty tough (actually a lot of them) and he passed it on to his offspring. This horse was undefeated as a 2yo and set a track record at Hazel Park, his only defeat as a 3yo was at Oaklawn to a horse that set a new track record. You could not use a stick on him if the jockey was to make the mistake of hitting him the race would be over and the rodeo would begin. I got him after he had bred a few TB mares (very few) and some QH’s. He proved to be a very good QH sire in his first crop. He had absolutely no breeding as far as TBs go (Thermos - Chance Pleasure, by With Pleasure) but Thermos was a pretty hot QH sire at the time. Since QH people were the only ones that had any interest in him we AI bred everything except TBs. When training him to be collected from a dummy he would scare you to death just with his body language when going to the dummy or returning to his stall his ears would be pinned back flat and his neck would be in a low arch like a snake. People who saw him always thought he was the meanest animal alive. He wasn't mean - just tough. You couldn't put a twitch on him because if you put a little hurt on him he'd put a lot on you. That was back in the days before good paste wormer, so we tube wormed him with no twitch just finessed the tube down his nose.

His foals were all just as tough; trainers hated them - except the trainers that knew how to handle them. If you could ever get the buck out of them and get them pointed the right direction they would all run as fast as they could every time. Although he was a fairly obscure horse as far as fame goes he was probably the best sire - just from appearance of his get of any horse I've seen. They say the sign of a good sire is that he marks his foals - maybe he marked them too well.
There are many men of principle in both parties in America, but there is no party of principle.
- Alexis de Tocqueville

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Sat May 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Madelyn's mare reminds me of a broodmare we had when I managed a TB farm in IL. Truth be told, her mother should have been spayed, but the owner loved them and the original old sow got in foal every year of her life. One of her daughters was by Info and was a weaving heifer and none too friendly at the best of times. When she had her first foal she adored him. BUT, as soon as she heard the stall door latch release she would push him into the back corner and begin firing double barrels at the door way. Ever have to rope a mare, from behind, in a stall doorway?? 'T ain't easy :shock: The following year I stayed up all night with that mare and foal and "imprinted" the mare when she was good and tired. Then I could catch her and handle her, but no one else.

Another witchy mare double barreled a vet tech out her stall door. Thankfully THAT mare aborted the following year and the owner sold her (yes, the new owner was warned of her evil nature). When she loaded on the van to go to KY WAR EMBLEM was on there, headed to the KY Derby after his win (and subsequent sale) in the IL Derby. She jerked the lead from the handler and tried to attack War Emblem! When the rumors came from Japan, after he retired to stud there, that he would not breed "certain kinds of mares" we all nodded and figured it was dark bay mares he wouldn't go near! Poor guy, she made a lasting impression on him!

MBFoley
Suckling

Postby MBFoley » Sun May 13, 2012 10:46 am

Hey all, I''m new here (first post :D).

One of the farms I was doing seasonal nightwatch on we had this one mare who I was told had been bought at the November sale and was a maiden. I gave her lots of leeway on her nasty behavior on the assumption that maidens can be funny and she had recently changed homes so she had reasons to be defensive and unsure of her surroundings, she was always lots of fun to catch in the stall with charging the door, spinning and kicking, she was fun. After she foaled (of course the night of the hugs ice storm that shut down the Lexington area in 2003) she got a hundred times worse. Catching her was usually a two person job - one armed with a weapon of some sort (I didn't have too much problems during the night because her and I had come to some sort of understanding about acceptable behavior, this is just what I heard about from the day crew and observed when I was still around in the mornings holding horses for the vet). I later found out she had lived on the farm for a while and had had several foals before, had a history of bad behavior and had hurt the nightwatch the year before when he was tending to the foal after foaling. Fun fun fun.

The first farm I did foaling at we had one mare who was an older mare, had lived on the farm most of her life and was sweet as could be - except for the first 24 hours after foaling. She was usually tranq'd lightly immediately after foaling for the safety of all involved in doing post natal care. The first day after foaling one specific person was always the first to enter her stall, get a hold of her and then the day could proceed as normal. After 24 hours almost to the minute from foaling, it was like a switch flipped and she went back to her old sweet ways of always wanting to be loved on, you could do anything with her or her foal, etc. It was like a whole different horse. I remember the person going in to catch her let her guard down for a split second and lost a chunk of hair off the top of her head for it.

Lots of fun stories on the track lol.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun May 13, 2012 1:26 pm

welcome to the PQ Michelle. Thanks for your contribution.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Mon May 14, 2012 6:06 am

Please share them all!!! Mares, colts, "too smart" and just plain common :) Lets get on with it, this is great!!!