Earthly Del1ghts

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:36 am

which one breaking out of the gate was ED? Those three certainly had good competitive spirit coming out the gate, them boys was trying! :D

Thanks for sharing, between my morning coffee and that little bust out the gate, I'm woke up now :D

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:46 am

The one who looks like the previous pictures :wink:

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:42 pm

Coming along nicely, I can't even shave without resting my shoulder once or twice so I know how you feel.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:59 am

He breezed this morning, much too fast..... 36.2, a full second faster than eight days ago. I think he'll have a different breeze partner next time which is probably going to be in 10 days since he went faster than we all wanted.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:56 pm

A colt that can't run faster than 37 secs. in 3 furlong should go home before I waste time, effort, and treasure, so the 36 and change would make me a very happy owner.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:46 pm

My opinion is the exact opposite of Jeff's.

This looks like a pretty nice horse but he's still a baby. The last thing I'd want is to push him to fast, to early... this was only the horses second official work and he sure does not need to be close to being the bullet work at this point.

As I see it, I'm risking way more than I'm gaining by going that fast. It's easy to put the speed into a talented horse just before he runs, not so easy to deal with speed crazy babies that still need their gate cards or come out of the 'too fast' work with ouchy shins.

Sounds to me like you are looking out for your horse and that can never be the wrong way to go.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:22 pm

Jeff, a fast work won't prove a thing on race day. Given a choice, he'd probably run as fast as he can as far as he can but that's not what the game is about. He needs to go slow early and finish fast, not go at three quarter speed for three furlongs and run the fourth at half speed. The work was reported as a half in 49.4. His breeze mate's work was reported as 36.4 to EB. I did not record the last eighth of a mile so I can't say how close that reported time was. When there are over 100 horses who breeze in a day you are lucky if your time is even within a half second of what you clock them yourself out.

His speed is the least of our worries. I was told months ago he was very fast which doesn't mean a hill of beans until he goes out and proves it when he enters the starting gate for his first start. I definitely did not breed him to be a sprinter....

He's on the inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qcDLBKcfJo

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:04 pm

Tap, has he been galloped on turf yet? Just curious if the aptitude is there for racing choices.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:18 am

I was told when I asked in FL that he gets over the dirt track so well that there was no need to gallop him over the grass. I was told that he should be good on all surfaces though, but that he's probably going to prefer running short, or at least shorter than a mile and a quarter. He has two relatives who are sired by Roar who have been running out in CA and neither have gone further than six furlongs. They are Obsess and Tasty Treat and they are out of a half sister to GiGi's dam. It's funny too because he's not built the way Babs is and she's the one who is bred to be a grass loving miler.

Watch the Langfuhr turn out to be the one who wants the distance....

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:20 am

Happy camper

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:55 am

Yes he is.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Showing his ancestral roots before his breeze. Slow breeze but a great gallop out. He wants to run in a big, big way. I told him soon.....

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Great pictures, love the 'Happy Camper' photo. ED looks great.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:16 pm

Half mile breeze from the gate tomorrow. Getting closer to a start. Hopefully when he's ready there will actually be a maiden race for two year olds at Monmouth Park.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:11 pm

We needed to castrate him the other day as there was some "pinching" going on that caused him to shift his weight to the front, thus causing some minor shin problems.

While I can't relate to that feeling, I'm sure there are some members of this forum who can.

He's back to jogging and should be ready to resume galloping this week. Apparently, it's not a matter of what can bother a horse in training, it's just how much it's going to set them back.