Mating suggestions please

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Mating suggestions please

Postby 3nutmeg » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:10 pm

Looking to breed to race in NY. Can you suggest a stallion for this mare Wheely Pink. She's a little on the light side @16h. Stud fee range $2,500-$6,000. What would go with this pedigree if not in NY, what stallion in PA, KY? Thanks so much.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Re: Mating suggestions please

Postby dublino » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:35 am

Posse has a G1 winner from an Unbridled Song mare ROLLING FOG.

Alpha is another good option but unproven AP Indy/Unbridled cross has multiple G1 winners, Dirt Turf AWS.

Giant Surprise a "proven" option.

They would be my top 3.

Why has nobody bred the winning half sisters to your mare who were better runners than her?
No offence just a question....
Edited by Moderator

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 3nutmeg » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:39 am

I've been trying to find out about her half sisters, but can't find any info about what happened to them.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:41 am

I echo Posse and Giant Surprise.

Unproven:
Al Khali is $2500. Foal would be inbred to Damascus.
Micromanage is another by MDO, priced at $5000. That would also be Damascus inbreeding.
(I have no idea if MDO/Unbridled has been done)

Two Tapit boys - Normandy Invasion and Honorable Dillon - are at $5000. Normandy Invasion was always kind of slight horse, don't know about HD.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:59 am

I have a top shelf one month old Posse on the ground here and am booked back to him. Deals are available and I wouldn't hesitate to use him.
I have also used Bellamy Road this year, and - if you look around you can find LFSNs to him for 5k. With Land Over Sea, Bellmentary, Constellation out there this year - pray for a filly.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:18 pm

Giant's Causeway/Storm Cat does well with the Unbridled line and also with Damascus. Your mare has two close relations by a son of Gone West (Western Expression) and both of them were extremely useful, money-earning runners. If you can negotiate into your price range for Frost Giant, use him. This late in the season you might find a farm to cut you a deal. Heavy Breathing is bred on the same cross and cheaper, but not proven and has a marginal race record. Golden Ticket is bred on the reverse cross (via Speightstown) but I can't see $7500 for him....yes he won the Travers over a bunch of "who?" horses and never won at graded level again. That's a lot of money to pay for getting lucky and without it he would be a $2500 stud.

The best runner of your mare's siblings is by Thunder Puddles, who is by Speak John. There's a love affair going on with Unbridled's Song and descendants of Speak John (Hold Your Peace, Meadowlake) that is worth trying with Wheelaway given your mare's family. Majestic City has City Zip speed, Meadowlake as a broodmare sire, and was a graded stakes horse every year he raced. Unlike Golden Ticket, most of his wins were against horses whose names I recognized and who were legitimate racehorses.

Posse is a straight-up sire of racehorses.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon May 02, 2016 7:20 pm

don't know if you've pulled the trigger, but for what it's worth, I think Friesan Fire has a lot of upside.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

3nutmeg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby 3nutmeg » Wed May 04, 2016 5:06 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It gave me a lot to look at. I really love Posse and Majestic City. I hope I'll be able to get to Posse before he leaves for the southern hemisphere.