Chrome priced at $40,000

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Chrome priced at $40,000

Postby Cree » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Thoughts? I think that is fair.

CherryDavis
2yo Maiden

Re: Chrome priced at $40,000

Postby CherryDavis » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:42 am

Based on earnings and performance yes, but he's going to be a tough commercial sell because of his sire. He appears to be a lone super freak for his dad. As a commercial breeder I think he's a bit too risky to invest in because buyers are not going to be very forgiving.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:15 am

His female family doesn't inspire either.
It's too bad that he has an unattractive pedigree because he's sound, he's fast, and he's got stamina - something we need more of.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:32 pm

I think that at that price, some people will be willing to take chances that his early youngsters will be athletic and sell well. The people who've bought into him up to now have every incentive to try to help make him as a sire by sending him good mares, and while his pedigree isn't stellar, it has some significant depth to it with those Phipps and Claiborne lines close up. He'll get a fair chance; the rest is up to him.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:51 pm

He's a great horse no doubt as a racehorse. As a sire.... another Secretariat perhaps?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:05 pm

too high. Smarty Jones-esqe

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:14 pm

Madelyn, more like another Free House.

brogers
Allowance Winner

Postby brogers » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:55 pm

CherryDavis wrote:Based on earnings and performance yes, but he's going to be a tough commercial sell because of his sire. He appears to be a lone super freak for his dad. As a commercial breeder I think he's a bit too risky to invest in because buyers are not going to be very forgiving.

Were you talking about Tiznow? :D
Byron Rogers
Performance Genetics
http://performancegenetics.com
Keen Ice...Verrazano...Fontiton...Divisidero...Breaking Lucky...Hoss Amor...

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:58 pm

He'll get plenty of initial action and every opportunity. Like Secretariat, SOME of that talent has to show up SOMEWHERE in his progeny. Maybe too as a broodmare sire. Just a fine race horse that one. While most decry his shot at Ascot I like the idea in principle, problem was the way they went about it.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:44 pm

BRogers, not quite the same....

By the time Tiznow first entered the starting gate, Gourmet Girl was already a Gr-1 winner, Budroyale was a Gr-2 winner, and Theresa's Tizzy was a Gr-3 winner.

Lucky Pulpit has had some success other than Chrome, but nothing even close to Cee's Tizzy at the same point in their careers. He's more like Smokester...a good CA sire, has a major breakout horse (Free House) and a couple of others that can hold their own in graded company.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:56 pm

I could wish Chrome would be as successful as Secretariat in the stud. Secretariat couldn't live up to the expectations placed on him, but over 8 percent stakes winners from foals isn't bad. He was also the American champion broodmare sire of 1992 and has had quite a bit of influence through his maternal grandsons.

Re Chrome/Tiznow, let's not forget that horses have two parents and that Cee's Song was also much more successful than Love the Chase has so far proven, with three other stakes winners (two of them Grade II winners) and two Grade I producers among her progeny. If one considers only the parents' record as breeding stock, Tiznow has much the better parentage. Chrome, though, has more depth of quality bloodlines behind those parents, so we'll see how things work out in his case.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:54 am

I think $40K is too big a risk given his pedigree. His own talent cannot be denied but whether or not he can throw that needs to be proven.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:18 am

Well now they've announced he will continue to race so perhaps they tested the waters and did not get the kind of response they wanted?

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:18 pm

madelyn wrote:Well now they've announced he will continue to race so perhaps they tested the waters and did not get the kind of response they wanted?

The Pegasus in January was in the game plan to be his last race. Did you see something that says he'll race beyond that? (I didn't notice anything in DRF, Paulick Report or Bloodhorse online.)

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:32 am

Lists some of the mares going to Chrome:

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/arti ... ud-career/