X-Factor - Large Heart

Understanding pedigrees, inbreeding, dosage, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, Lucy

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Re: X-Factor - Large Heart

Postby Jeff » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:10 am

Follow the money honey. Follow aspartame, artificial sweetener studies that claim that zsro calorie soft drinks make people fat and guess who pays for these 'scientific studies'? The sugar industry! Diet soda costs the sugar industry $billions in lost sugar sales a year, so if they can convince us that diet soda makes us fat, then we'll switch back to sugar sweetened soda. Now wasn't that easy.

So now we're suppose to believe that there's a scientific study that let's us breed a horse with the 'speed gene' if we'll just cough up the $ for the study. Considering 2 seconds or less difference in time between the first place and last place horse in any given race, I'll pass on that one. Generally ALL thorougubred race horses are fast and have a 'speed' gene, just some faster than others. What can't be measured is a horses spirit, his willingness to try harder, his determination to be the first, to be at the head of the line and not at the back of the line, his heart. A living spirit, a God-given life. Can't map that on a chart.

Shetland pony study? Give me the crooked legged shetland pony with 'heart' and I'll bet he can outrun the shetland ponies with good knees.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:30 pm

No pony with crooked legs due to skeletal atavism could ever outrun a normal pony. That's a devastating condition, in no way comparable to slight imperfections in conformation that can be overcome.

A fair degree of skepticism is always a wise approach to novel findings from scientific research, especially as distilled and reported by popular media, but it's meaningless unless accompanied by a well-informed, unbiased, rational mind.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:26 pm

I defer all the shetland pony expertise.

aethervox
Allowance Winner

Postby aethervox » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:39 pm

I just ran across a chart on 'The Matchmaker's' web site: http://www.members.shaw.ca/thematchmaker/ (you have to scroll down to see it).

He states:
Buckpasser is easily the most influential thoroughbred sire in today's pedigrees when attached to the female line.

I'll let you read his reasoning.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:34 pm

Thankyou for the link Aethervox.