Preview of The 149th Running of The Belmont Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

Preview of The 149th Running of The Belmont Stakes

Postby TJ » Sat May 27, 2017 11:11 am

With just 2 week left before the Belmont Stakes, looks like we're going to have a full field. Much of the reasoning is when the cats away the mice will play:>) Looks fairly certain the Preakness winner, Cloud Computing will pass the event (though Brown has not yet officially ruled him out?) but Always Dreaming is definitely out of the running. Here's an article about AD's withdrawal from the Belmont Stakes. Actually seems like a wise move if you look at the picture from the article recently taken at Belmont Park. His coat and eye seems dull and he looks tired and drained...guess the fact he had a hard time turning off his engine after he got to CD, finally took a toll on him...even though it was hard to see it in his training...it looks like it caught up to him now. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ont-stakes
That being said, Classic Empire looks to have no such regression and is back in training pointing to the Belmont Stakes....along with a long list of probables who will jump at the chance to win a TC race, while the Derby and Preakness winner look elsewhere. Below is a tentative list of probables and possibles (?) looking to run in the Belmont Stakes. Early listing in order of most likely runners first....will edit in changes to the field as they come in. Confirmed and probable runners (barring any problems between now and the Belmont Stakes) will be in bold text. TJ

Classic Empire...Probable
Epicharis...Probable
Lookin At Lee...Probable
J Boys Echo...Probable...now a confirmed starter.
Senior Investment...Probable
Twisted Tom...Probable...confirmed
Gormley...Probable
Tapwrit...Possible?...now a confirmed starter by Pletcher.
Meantime...Probable, he is now a confirmed starter
Multiplier...Possible...now a confirmed starter.
Patch...Possible, confirmed.
Irish War Cry...Possible...confirmed!

Conquest Mo Money...Out of the Belmont, will run in the Woody Stephens Stakes on the undercard.
True Timber...Out of the Belmont Stakes
Irap...Out, will point to Ohio Derby.
Last edited by TJ on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:06 am, edited 11 times in total.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Preview of The 149th Running of The Belmont Stakes

Postby Georgerz » Sat May 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Tapwrit and Patch worked today towards a start in the Belmont Stakes, per the Bloodhorse.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun May 28, 2017 11:30 am

Per DRF:
Cloud Computing is OUT
Twisted Tom is confirmed in

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Well I was a big supporter of J Boy in the Derby (in other words, I lost a ton of money on him that day!), so I am not going to jump ship just yet ...
I also suspect Gormley is coming up to a big one soon, so he would be my second pick at this very early stage, but a lot can change over the next two weeks.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun May 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Odd to think people were questioning Gormley's ability to go 10 furlongs, and now he will go 12.

I am rooting for the New York boy, Twisted Tom. :-)

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon May 29, 2017 7:10 am

Cree wrote:Odd to think people were questioning Gormley's ability to go 10 furlongs, and now he will go 12.

I am rooting for the New York boy, Twisted Tom. :-)

Hi Cree,
Yes, Twisted Tom was the one Chad Brown won the Tesio with. Remember the race was a win and your in for the Preakness...but Chad opted to give him more time and more distance. So far his race placing has been on the money with his 3YO's. He does have quite a few this season with great ability and so far has kept them all away from each other. He decided against the Derby for Cloud Computing after his 3rd in the Wood and opted to wait for the Preakness. He decided to run Practical Joke in the Derby and after he ran, passed on the Preakness and said he will change plans and race him at shorter distances. Remember Chad's Timeline we spoke about??...after he won in the Peter Pan, he decided not to run him in the Belmont Stakes and race Twisted Tom (who ran 4th in the race) in the Belmont instead. He said he will point Timeline to the Haskell Invitational as he thinks the mile and a 1/2 doesn't help him. Of interest is Meantime, who ran 2nd in the Peter Pan for Lynch...he worked well recently for his "probable" try in the Belmont Stakes. So Brown has been making all the right moves so far with his solid 3YO stable. The Belmont is shaping up into a good handicapping race. TJ
PS...I will edit in the changes you mentioned, thanks.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Tue May 30, 2017 12:56 pm

For what I have seen in several places, it's very likely that there would be a full field for the Belmont Stakes. Classic Empire is not scaring away anyone, seems to me.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 30, 2017 1:07 pm

Georgerz wrote:For what I have seen in several places, it's very likely that there would be a full field for the Belmont Stakes. Classic Empire is not scaring away anyone, seems to me.

Hi George,
Agreed, with no Derby or Preakness winner in the field, the Belmont is up for grabs. There's room in the gate for 16 horses to be entered, so we may get some surprises yet with 11 days to go:>) TJ
Last edited by TJ on Tue May 30, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Tue May 30, 2017 1:12 pm

This is the list from Horse Racing Nation:
Classic Empire
Lookin at Lee
Irish War Cry
Tapwrit
Senior investment
Epicharis
Gormley
Twisted Tom
Conquest Mo Money
J Boys Echo
Patch
Multiplier
Meantime
True Timber

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:27 am

Conquest Mo Money will pass on the Belmont Stakes and will run in the Woody Stephens Stakes going 7 furlongs on the Belmont under card. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:57 am

Epicharis arrived at Belmont Park yesterday...he is under isolation/quarantine for 36-48 hours and is expected to clear quarantine tomorrow. He is scheduled to breeze over the main track at Belmont Park June 6 or 7. Here's a short video of his arrival...he's a nice looking colt, bred and to stay. If he handle's "Big Sandy" in his upcoming work...he could be a real player. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyuXL3FP4uM

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:19 am

Here's a video of Chad Brown's Twisted Tom galloping yesterday at Belmont Park. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHyj3WISjhk

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:22 am

Senior Investment galloping at Belmont Park. TJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND1xiwiMBrc

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:40 am

True Timber, spikes a fever...will miss the Belmont Stakes. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:11 pm

Classic Empire had his final breeze for the Belmont Stakes going 50 seconds flat for a 1/2 at CD.
In addition, Patch And Tapwrit worked 5/8ths in company this AM at Belmont Park while finishing on even terms going in 1:01.45. Tapwrit was previously confirmed as a starter and after this morning, Pletcher is 99% sure he will enter Patch as well...so long as he comes out of the breeze OK.
That leaves just one "possible" yet to confirm....Irish War Cry, though after 3 defecting...and the Derby and Preakness winner both out, we might see a couple new names show up late to the party:>) We currently have 11 ready to go...Irish War Cry could make it 12....still have 4 spots to fill in that 16 stall gate, any suggestions?:>) TJ