Preview of The 149th Running of The Belmont Stakes

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Re: Preview of The 149th Running of The Belmont Stakes

Postby skeenan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

TJ wrote:Of interest on the under card is the return of Songbird in the GR I Ogden Phipps (5th race).

I am SO excited to watch her run! LOVE her! :mrgreen: I still think one of the best races last year was watching her duke it out with Beholder, neck and neck in the stretch. What a race!

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:23 am

Well, there is quite a few things going on with the Belmont Stakes, lots to worry about, and the comments ...
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -treatment

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:05 pm

Georgerz wrote:Well, there is quite a few things going on with the Belmont Stakes, lots to worry about, and the comments ...
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -treatment

Hi George,
What a mess this is turning into. Thanks for the post. The only reason I can figure Epicharis' wasn't scratched all ready is they are hoping the extra bute in additional to the bute allowed pre-race, will hold the pain? Doesn't seem like they have the horse's best interest at heart? I was also surprised to see they allowed Senior Investment to receive acupuncture before the race. I thought that would be against the rules with 2 days out from the race? TJ

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi, TJ: I am wondering if there has been any pressure from the NYRA to not scratch Epicharis, as quite a few millions in bets are riding on his back. Maybe if he is scratched at the starting gate, the bets would still be coming from Japan, even if not for him?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Georgerz wrote:Hi, TJ: I am wondering if there has been any pressure from the NYRA to not scratch Epicharis, as quite a few millions in bets are riding on his back. Maybe if he is scratched at the starting gate, the bets would still be coming from Japan, even if not for him?

Hi George,
I would hope that isn't the case...but it wouldn't be the first time they left a name horse (or in this case a large mutuel wager from outside of the US) in a big race only to scratch out of the race late. The thing is he would have to be scratched in the morning when the vet comes by to examine him. If he isn't scratched then, he most likely isn't going to scratch. I just don't understand how a little bute will help a lame horse...unless this is something the connections are aware of and have been through before? But it certainly puts a black cloud over this horse and I wonder if making the drugs report available is helpful. If you like Epicharis, many might feel reluctant to take a chance now? If they are going to make the vet's report available....then they should update what IS the horses actual aliment and if such an ailment will alter the horses performance for better or worse? In the case of Senior Investment...getting acupuncture 2 days prior to the race could actually help his chances. Just more confusion to add to a race that's all ready hard to figure out:>) TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:55 am

Latest report on Epicharis...right now they expect to run? TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/epicharis-walks ... ll-belmont

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:32 am

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:55 am

Hi George,
Why they didn't have the vet do the talking is beyond me...especially since the vet treating him is not one of the best vets on the grounds. He works for NYRA and is a pre-race examining vet that assures the horse is sound enough to run. Seems like a conflict of interest...but then again this vet will be on the line to make a competent decision, since it would look bad if the horse pulls up or gets injured in the running.
That being said (and from what I can gather from these reports) seems to point to the fact (especially if he was recently shod) that a nail may have been driven incorrectly slightly hitting or possibly too near the painful sensitive white laminae of the hoof....causing undue pressure or puncture pain in that very sensitive area. This is the only injury that could be rectified in time for the horse to be sound enough to race after removing the shoe and applying a nail-less glue on shoe to the affected hoof. If this is in fact the case....the horse could possibly be ok to run....but why not let the betting public know what is going on. TJ

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:57 am

Epicharis has been scratched this morning. I am glad the horse is safe and hope will recover soon, and maybe race in one of the upcoming races for 3 yr old.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ont-stakes
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... d-belmont/

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:42 am

Georgerz wrote:Epicharis has been scratched this morning. I am glad the horse is safe and hope will recover soon, and maybe race in one of the upcoming races for 3 yr old.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ont-stakes
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... d-belmont/

Hi George,
Yes I am glad to see him exit as well. I would still like to know if it was a nail prick or he is developing an abscess? I think you were right all along...NYRA just trying to get some of the Japanese handle into the pot after they opened yesterday's advanced Belmont wagering. Verderosa had to scratch the horse given the circumstances (and any other vet would have advised it way before the morning of), but he is on the NYRA payroll which adds to the conspiracy theory:>) TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:53 am

Georgerz wrote:Epicharis has been scratched this morning. I am glad the horse is safe and hope will recover soon, and maybe race in one of the upcoming races for 3 yr old.

I'm relieved, too... safe is better than sorry.

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:36 am

There is this tidbit in the Bloodhorse, may give some idea why the scratch was only made this morning:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... l-in-place

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:49 pm

TJ wrote:Irish War Cry worked in company this morning (6/3), with Ascend (winner of the Henry S. Clark Stakes in his last race). They went 3/4's in 1:14 at Fair Hill Training Center. After this solid move, I'd expect Motion to announce his long awaited decision concerning Irish War Cry's Belmont Stakes status? TJ

Does anyone remember this work...I noted his workmate was Ascend, who just now won the GR I Manhattan Stakes on the turf for Graham Motion at odds of 27-1....one race before he sends out the Belmont Stakes current favorite Irish War Cry....what a consecutive double win that would be if he pulls it off with his two workmates in GR I races!. TJ