Royal Ascot - Tops

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Royal Ascot - Tops

Postby Joltman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:09 pm

I've been watching the Royal Ascot coverage - a little on TVG, more on NBCSN. I've been very impressed. They're taking much of it from the International feed with a few US interest features by Nick Luck. His summaries are spot on and the whole thing speaks to something lacking terribly in the US racing scene - CLASS. Of course it helps requiring people to wear top hats and tails and the like, but the dress code sets the tone for behaviors, and of course it helps that Her Majesty shows up in the carriage daily, and is probably more of a horsewoman than anybody in the house. But there's an intangible - it's not celebrity dress up fluff like the Derby. These people actually have class and behave like it. In fact, even the fluff stories are more fun, better written and actually say something (fashion and hats)

A few other things strike me about the coverage:

- it's evokes emotion, but they don't 'play on emotions' with sob story pieces. They let the story unfold and speak.
- It's great to watch superb turf racing, race after race.
- The commentators on the ground know the game and don't try to be cute, (despite the fact that a couple of the lady commentators are stunning)
- Wesley Ward has figured it out over there and the punters know it
- The bookie boards look like fun
- Scat Daddy is making a killing - five or six winners this meet (what a loss)
- Root for Her Majesty's charge tomorrow. Just do it - she's north of 90 for goodness sake. Amazing woman, I think the horses keep her going.
- Long routes at over 2 miles are not boring, but strategic, at least on the turf. (Message to NYRA - Turn the Jockey Club Gold Cup back to a Real test of stamina again)

NBC can take a lot of lessons from this - and up there game for the Breeders Cup. Work Nick Luck into more of a major role - he can carry it.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Royal Ascot - Tops

Postby Joltman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:29 am

So there's a race at Royal Ascot that is restricted to the progeny of sires who have won at staying distances. Now there's a concept! Sprinters need not apply. Get a few quality stakes/graded stakes of this sort and breeders might take notice.

jm

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:32 am

I agree it certainly is a prettier more civilized looking event; however. As a former Brit and a commoner the messier and more common Derby is an everyman's day whilst the Royal one is only for those who can get in. Which will I go to? The messy one since after all I really am a commoner.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 am

Yes, but Mott's $1500 yearling who has risen through the ranks just losing a big one in Dubai, is running with the top hats - and yes can take them all. So there is room for the lowly, who seek to excel - and succeed. Of such is the wonder of the game. Take on the royalty and the sheiks, and give it a run. Then again, you need a really good horse....

jm

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:59 am

I must have overlooked that one - which is Mott's horse?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Long on Value took on G1 company in the Diamond Jubilee. Ran a credible effort - didn't seem really settled. I think Mott may be back again though.

Marilyn, you may have been a commoner, but ya got class! And you never know. A lady in our church looked up her nondescript pedigree online and found out she had some REALLY royal blood a half dozen centuries ago. And from what I read today, Prince Harry wanted to bale out of the Royal Family because its too much stress - so the Royalty thing is not all it's cracked up to be! But Royal Ascot makes for a great show one week a year.

jm

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:15 am

I watched some of the racing over the weekend, and saw the Queen's horse, Dartmouth, get beaten by Idaho. Barsanti came from the outside and made a heck of a run for second! Maybe it's just me, but I find the TBs across the pond are so dreamy to look at. Just beautiful! They're always turned out so smartly, with brushed patterns on their hindquarters and banged tails, etc.

I am not one for dresses or fancy clothes (give me jeans and paddock boots any day!), but it would be fun to get all dressed up to go to an event like that.

I can't agree more with your summary of the coverage. It has meat to it and puts the focus on racing, with a more serious tone than NBC's.
I also love the camera angle—like Dubai—where they follow the field. NBC's is so far away, I'm always squinting at the TV. :roll:

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Ditto on the camera work. Their moving car allows a close up that keeps the race more engaging. With technology today. The could do it with something very small or even a drone. They don't switch views too often either, which the Americans do.

Part of the attraction of horse racing are the aesthetics - which are hardly what you see when you go to a lot of the dumps which they call the 'grand'stands. It's why Keeneland, Saratoga and Del Mar have something special about them, including their limited meets which keeps them special.

jm

Taffy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Taffy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:51 am

They don't show the drunkenness among the wanna be upper classes.
Check the pedigree of the Queens horses and strike rate....not good