The GR I Pacific Classic

Post and discuss your picks and selections here.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, K~2

TJ
Darley line

The GR I Pacific Classic

Postby TJ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:47 pm

After a lifeless performance in Arrogate's last start and a pre-race work which found his rider needing to ask him to switch leads...all eyes will be on Arrogate Saturday. Hopefully it was the long layoff which caused his lack of interest in his last start...or could the fact he didn't switch leads (without being urged) indicate he's got a problem brewing? Looking forward to see how he does and hope he has a speedy and safe trip. TJ
Arrogate's work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2lESmfLVWE

8th Race. (C10) The 27th Running of The Pacific Classic (Grade I)
Purse $1,000,000 Guaranteed One Mile And One Quarter
FOR THREE-YEAR-OLDS AND UPWARD.

1 ROYAL ALBERT HALL (GB) (L) '12 G 124 Nakatani, C Tachycardia Stables or Twilight Racing, LLC Mulhall, Kristin
2 COLLECTED (L) '13 C 124 Garcia, M Speedway Stable, LLC Baffert, Bob
3 ACCELERATE (L) '13 C 124 Espinoza, V Hronis Racing, LLC John Sadler
4 SORRY ERIK (L) '14 C 118 Desormeaux, K Big Chief Racing, LLC Desormeaux, Keith
5 HARD ACES (L) '10 H 124 Gonzalez, S Hronis Racing, LLC John Sadler
6 DONWORTH (L) '12 H 124 Gutierrez, M Reddam Racing, LLC O'Neill, Doug
7 CURLIN ROAD (L) '13 G 124 Prat, F R3 Racing LLC, Calara Farms or ERJRacing, LLCO'Neill, Doug
8 ARROGATE (L) '13 C 124 Smith, M Juddmonte Farms Baffert, Bob
Click on Arrogate: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatc ... ummary.htm

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Re: The GR I Pacific Classic

Postby skeenan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:00 am

Assuming Arrogate doesn't run away with it... who do we see as the next logical challenger? Accelerate? Or was his win just a fluke? :?
The boys have been so inconsistent this year, I have no idea...

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:14 pm

skeenan wrote:Assuming Arrogate doesn't run away with it... who do we see as the next logical challenger? Accelerate? Or was his win just a fluke? :?
The boys have been so inconsistent this year, I have no idea...

Hi Skee,
Still have to look over the form...but Accelerate seems to be a much improved horse after the rider change and the addition of Blinkers. His numbers went up considerably....though he is no Arrogate. Baffert's other horse, Collected, demolished Accelerate last time they met...but he didn't make the two changes in that race. At the 1 1/4 mile distance I think Collected will be the horse to beat....BUT, if Arrogate does not easily beat this field, I'd have to think his racing days could be over? TJ

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:14 pm

I'm under the impression Collected is a 8-9 furlong horse. He's certainly looked the part in his wins, but unless Arrogate is truly off-form/unsound, or whatever, I believe Arrogate is s better horse, especially at 10 furlongs.
I'm going :
Arrogate
Donworth
Collected
Accelerate

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Arrogate
Collected
Sorry Erik
Accelerate

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Sorry Erik has been scratched. :?

I like the same horses, Cree... guess we'll see if Arrogate shows up today.
The betting public seems to think he will. I just hope he's OK, health-wise.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:32 pm

skeenan wrote:Sorry Erik has been scratched. :?

I like the same horses, Cree... guess we'll see if Arrogate shows up today.
The betting public seems to think he will. I just hope he's OK, health-wise.

Hi Skee,
Thanks for the heads up:>)...I think I want a stranger in there somewhere. Especially if Arrogate wins it, So I'll try Curlin Road for the exotic $ booster:>). TJ
Arrogate
Collected
Accelerate
Curlin Road

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Here's the finish...
Collected...still undefeated over a fast dirt track, handles his slightly improved stablemate.
Arrogate...the champ is not the same...but if he comes out of this OK, he will make the BC Classic.
Accelerate...3rd
Curlin Road...rounds out the superfecta.

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Nice, TJ! :D
Bummed about Arrogate... no idea what's going on with him. He's lost his mojo... :(
But great win for Collected!

Is it just me, or is Donworth a beast? He looked huge in the post parade.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:22 pm

skeenan wrote:Nice, TJ! :D
Bummed about Arrogate... no idea what's going on with him. He's lost his mojo... :(
But great win for Collected!

Is it just me, or is Donworth a beast? He looked huge in the post parade.

Hi Skee,
He's always been a big good looking horse...Graham Motion had Donworth as a youngster and loved him. Couldn't get what he expected from him and sold him to O'Neil.
Don't worry about Arrogate...Collected ran a great race. No one realizes he's undefeated over a fast dirt track. Arrogate should have no trouble improving off this start for a good chance to win the BC Classic. Just has to come out of the race OK...looked to me like he switched leads OK today?
I could not believe $196.80 payoff on the Super in a short field like this:>) TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:56 pm

TJ wrote:I could not believe $196.80 payoff on the Super in a short field like this:>) TJ

Pretty sweet!! 8) Curling Road was at 50-1, so that had to help?

I agree, Collected ran a great race... but would "last year's" Arrogate have finished second? After watching the Dubai replay, it's like watching a different horse. Baffert has to be perplexed... and disappointed.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:42 pm

Haha. I guess Collected can go 10 furlongs.
I am starting to think Arrogate did not come back from Dubai 100%, which is a shame.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:39 pm

skeenan wrote:
TJ wrote:I could not believe $196.80 payoff on the Super in a short field like this:>) TJ

Pretty sweet!! 8) Curling Road was at 50-1, so that had to help?

I agree, Collected ran a great race... but would "last year's" Arrogate have finished second? After watching the Dubai replay, it's like watching a different horse. Baffert has to be perplexed... and disappointed.

Hi Skee,
I'm starting to think the difference between last years Arrogate and this years was his fitness level. Arrogate lost his first lifetime start (going 6F) while playing catch up after having shin issues. He came back and stretched out in about 6 weeks or so for his 1st win, then back in 19 days to win again, another maybe 6 weeks later another win...steps up 23 days after that and wins the Travers in his 1st Graded stakes try. Approximately 9 weeks later he won the BC Classic. Again about 11-12 weeks after the BC he takes the Pegasus World Cup and less than two months later wins the Dubai World Cup. That was a lot of racing he had and certainly took a toll on him. It was almost 4 months when they ran him in the San Diego Handicap...the longest layoff between races he's ever had (other than in his career debut where he was also beaten). So I expect it will all come together for him and will be at the top of his game in the BC Classic....considering he will train up to the Classic, as he did for the Pegasus World Cup...with approximately the same 11 week period between starts (which he had between his BC win and the Pegasus). The BC Classic will also be run at Del Mar...so the stars are starting to align again for the Champ:>) Just up to Baffert now, to keep him happy, healthy, sound and fit. TJ

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:16 am

I definitely hope you're right, TJ! I know the public puts a lot of pressure on for perfection; Facebook was not nearly as kind, people were blaming Mike Smith, saying Arrogate has fallen from world's best, etc. Pretty brutal, actually. Baffert and even Haskell batted around some pretty big words (Bob even saying he is the best he's seen, after training AP), I guess once a horse has hit the heights Arrogate has, one does not expect a mere mortal performance. Same when it was California Chrome and after AP's second place finish in the Travers, which for me, was like watching a repeat with Arrogate. Any other racehorse, an owner would have been happy. I'd love to see him kill it in the BC, then retire on a high note.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:13 pm

skeenan wrote:I definitely hope you're right, TJ! I know the public puts a lot of pressure on for perfection; Facebook was not nearly as kind, people were blaming Mike Smith, saying Arrogate has fallen from world's best, etc. Pretty brutal, actually. Baffert and even Haskell batted around some pretty big words (Bob even saying he is the best he's seen, after training AP), I guess once a horse has hit the heights Arrogate has, one does not expect a mere mortal performance. Same when it was California Chrome and after AP's second place finish in the Travers, which for me, was like watching a repeat with Arrogate. Any other racehorse, an owner would have been happy. I'd love to see him kill it in the BC, then retire on a high note.

Hi Skee,
The truth is, Baffert made one mistake with Arrogate...he entered Collected against him who is at the top of his game, while Arrogate wasn't quite there. Off this race Arrogate should be ready for the BC Classic...provided he stays healthy. Collected received a lifetime high beyer speed figure getting a serious 115!! So the race that looked to be a good one for Collected also added up in the figures.....that also gives Arrogate a good number being just 1/2 a length behind, so I'd have to say Arrogate is back. Not sure their plans for him and the breeding shed....but if he's sound enough he could win the BC Classic, The Pegasus World Cup and the Dubai World Cup and leave the stage with some chunk of cash:>) TJ