Stanley Jechura Memorial Handicap-Heard of It?

Ask members to help you find horse pictures, past performances, past owners/trainers, or tracks where a horse won it's last race.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy, Diane

tackroom
Suckling

Stanley Jechura Memorial Handicap-Heard of It?

Postby tackroom » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:06 am

I'm looking for historical information pertaining to the Stanley Jechura Memorial Handicap race:

When was it started, and by whom?
What are the conditions to enter a horse in the race?
Where is it run?
What is the typical purse for the race?

Any help would be appreciated in finding the above information or any other information somebody may be able to offer about the race.

I know Stanley Jechura helped build Raceway Park in Toledo, Ohio, so I tried contacting the Ohio Thoroughbred Breeders Association, but they replied that they have never heard of this race. However, if you google the Jechura name a number of T-bred horse's sale catalog pages come back saying they were nominated to the race. Does this race still exist?

dion1701
Newborn

Stanley Jechura Memorial Handicap race

Postby dion1701 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:31 pm

If interested I could ask my grandfather about this race? He is Sylvester "Shake" Jechura and may have some insite into your querry.

LaTroienne
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: Stanley Jechura Memorial Handicap-Heard of It?

Postby LaTroienne » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:10 pm

All I could find:

The 1965 MSW filly Frederick Street won it, as did another 1965 filly, Bill and I.

I also found it under the name "Stanley Skip Jechura H." It's the same race: the 1997 filly Jim's Gold finished 2nd in it; the 1968 horse Quarraling Pro won it; Prominence finished 2nd once.

tackroom
Suckling

Postby tackroom » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:46 am

LaTroienne thanks for the info you found, i found similar types of information about the race, but nothing substantial.

dion1701, i look forward to hearing from you. I think alot of people might be interested in not only learning about the Stanley Jechura Handicap, but in hearing any old track stories Shake Jechura could tell about Raceway Park, as it is rumored to be on the verge of closing it's doors of business.

dion1701
Newborn

Shake Jechura

Postby dion1701 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:06 pm

Sorry I took so long to get back. Stories? I have so many stories about my grandfather Shake Jechura and Raceway Park it would fill a book. Plus growing up around and eventually working there I have a few stories of my own. Let me know if you are interested.

Dion