MEDINA SPIRIT is dead

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

jellac
Grade I Winner

MEDINA SPIRIT is dead

Postby jellac » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:40 pm

MEDINA SPIRIT, Bob Baffert's controversial Kentucky Derby Winner dropped dead shortly after the wire, completing a 5f work at Santa Anita this morning. Cause of death is thought to be a heart attack, but blood, hair, urine and tissue samples were taken almost immediately for detailed analysis along with a thorough necropsy on his body. No matter what you think of his post-Derby drug positive and consequent ban of his trainer for 2 years from Churchill, he had proved himself a top racehorse and was in training to race on at age 4.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Re: MEDINA SPIRIT is dead

Postby geowarrior » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:41 am

I was very sad to hear this. I thought he was an improving horse and was looking forward to his 4 yo campaign. I feel sorry for the breeder and for the owner of the sire.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:17 am

So very sad. Bad test in the Derby and now this.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:00 pm

Yeah, none of the bad stuff was the horse's fault. He deserved better.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

steward
Allowance Winner

Postby steward » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:36 am

?

It seems as if the science has confirmed that Medina Spirit was treated with a common topical ointment in order to relieve him of a documented ailment. Here are the truths known so far.

1) The horse's affliction was photographed and the veterinarian's activities were carefully documented.
2) The amount of residue present was almost infinitesimal.

Where is the scandal? The chemical is a common one used to treat pet dogs. Are we going to deny racehorses the same humane treatment because of purists? Isn't it is ludicrous to think that this application created a competitive advantage at such minor amounts within a 1000 lb animal? Moreover, the science is evolving so rapidly that masking is becoming nearly impossible. That's a good thing. In this case there is no such suggestion that masking was the goal.

Criminy. I ask again ... so where is the scandal, other than in vivid imaginations?
Last edited by steward on Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

steward
Allowance Winner

Postby steward » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:58 am

I'll add some more information. All I want is to get to the truth.

On December 4, I responded to Byron King after his Bloodhorse article about this latest lab testing development.

Here is what I wrote: "Could you check the statement by Baffert's attorney that 'Only betamethasone acetate is addressed and regulated in the rules of racing in Kentucky.' That seems to be the legal crux of the matter. It's the specific chemical compound that counts, correct? And not whether it was contained in an injection or a cream or an ice cream cone? I would like to see a followup article that clarifies it."

His response: "I appreciate your email. I agree with you that this merits a deep dive into regulations and rules."

I further followed up by urging him to seek out KY lawyers versed in state horse racing laws. So far, nothing has materialized on Bloodhorse. Frustrating.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:01 pm

Steward -

I think you have hit the nail on the head, so to speak. The science of testing and screening blood/urine, etc. for drugs is now capable of detecting infinitesimal amounts of drugs AND distinguishing between the 'illegal' form of a drug, given as an injected fluid with the goal to enhance that horse's race day performance and another version of that same 'chemical' used as a fungal itch relieving ointment or salve on the horse's skin, with no thought that it would 'enhance' the horse's performance, simply make him more comfortable. I am all for the level of testing and monitoring that it takes to assure those who wager on horse racing and those who pay to participate as fans of horse racing AND those invested in the individual race horses themselves are assured of a level playing field assuring a safe and fair contest.