Best sprinter in the world?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks for all the links Arga, it really puts things into perspective and lets North American fans know just what a serious animal she is.To see hundreds of fans show up in Federation Square in the middle of the night to watch her run at Ascot ,then to win in distress beating a fantastic runner from France was incredible. Long ago I "strapped" a Newmarket Hcp winner for Bart called Elounda Bay and know very well what a great historic race it is so when I realised that this mare had won so easily and smashed the race record then it hit me just how special she was.! She has nothing left to prove and I know that Moody would never start her unless she was ready so let's wish for ordinary luck for an extraordinary horse.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:10 am

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=1038349

Well, what more to say, she broke the track record..what a special mare she is, great for everyone who is involved: trainer, owner jockey, what a reward you get.

Arga, you must be so proud!!!!
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:43 am

Really??? She is 7 yrs old and smashes another record with ease,these things just don't happen do they?

arganaut2
Starters Handicap

BC

Postby arganaut2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:31 am

She did it again!

23 straight and shaving .08secs of the track record which stood since 1988.

Group 1 No.13.

Her third Gr 1 Lightning Stakes (1000m) and this time the race named in her honour.

It would be a fitting way to bow out should she be retired.

To come back after a trip halfway around the world and a narrow victory seven months ago at Royal Ascot to return in such devastating fashion puts another exclamation mark after the word 'Champion'.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:01 am

INCREDIBLE!!!
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Strategic Maneuver
Starters Handicap

Postby Strategic Maneuver » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:58 pm

There just aren't enough adjectives to describe this wonderful mare. She's one of the all time greats!!

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:31 pm

It was another remarkable feat by the greatest living thoroughbred horse.

She has nothing left to prove, I hope they retire her before she gets hurt.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Blowing the doors off everyone she hooks looks like alot more fun than being a broodmare to me Jeff. Maybe ask Rachel's opinion of just how enjoyable and relaxing she's finding motherhood.

Let the people who know her best take care of her, they seem to be doing a good job.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:58 pm

She's beaten Zenyatta's record, granted a different distance but I like the fact they are still running her as long as she is healthy and willing to go.
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

arganaut2
Starters Handicap

BC

Postby arganaut2 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:11 am

Where it all began - video of Black Caviar being sold as a yearling

Note the auctioneer's (Peter Heagney) prophetic words - 'Think of the residual value of this filly at the end of her racing days, the pedigree she's got, that's after she's won a Group 1 for you!'

Black Caviar passed A$7million in prizemoney yesterday with her 13th Group 1 win.

http://www.inglis.tv/gg8y/black-caviar- ... ling-sale/
Last edited by arganaut2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

arganaut2
Starters Handicap

BC

Postby arganaut2 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:16 am

The latest on where she may or may not run next

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/racin ... NID=271134

...and although she broke the track record set in 1988 by Special, Timeform still rates her 2012 Lightning Stakes win over Hay List as superior

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/racin ... NID=271144

Here is last year's race - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJJAjdYhFhA

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:54 am

Hey thanks Arga especially for the video of her passing through the Inglis Sale. I have not seen Peter Heagney for years but I knew him well when I was in Adelaide and his dad "Bluey" was training and used the same stripping sheds at Morphettville. Leon Corstens was apprenticed to Bluey who had the mighty Tobin Bronze early on. Peter's words certainly were prophetic.

Touchy
Weanling

Best Sprinter in the World.

Postby Touchy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:49 pm

I was there the day that SPECIAL set the record up the straight at Flemington, that day the wind was blowing straight down the straight, not across it like on Saturday. Luke Nolan eased her, but kept her mind on the job the last 50 metres. Her time of 55.42 seconds now is the record.
If you take into consideration that if the race was 1200 metres she would have run that in 1 min 6 seconds and 50/100 of a second, and the 1100 metres in 60.00 or 1 min and 96/100seconds. Both these times are world records on turf I am lead to believe.
7 Years old and still the best and I will say it BETTER THAN FRANKEL.
I can recall a horse called NINE CARAT, which came to Australia running a very quick time over six furlongs, but that was in a race longer than the six furlongs he was timed at.
Proud to be an Aussie.
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of man." W.Churchill.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:13 pm

She certainly has got the record of racing to be the best. What is IT about her that makes her so great I wonder?? I wonder if they will try to bring her over for the BC this year. Can you only imagine, she would be the horse racing story of the year if she came here. A lovely mare as well, very well put together and a gorgeous face.

She'd really have to get used to the time difference though, how many hours are they different from us. Quite a few I'm sure. Still, a win for her for the BC Sprint would be great!
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

arganaut2
Starters Handicap

BC

Postby arganaut2 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Highest honour in Australia to be bestowed upon Black Caviar later this week - going to be Inducted into the Australian Racing Hall of Fame - this honour usually only reserved for retired or former thoroughbred greats from yesteryear.