California rendezvous?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

jellac
Grade I Winner

California rendezvous?

Postby jellac » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:07 pm

ALL - I'm going to be in Los Angeles this weekend and would enjoy getting to meet some of you who have helped/encouraged/educated me here on the Board. I'll be staying with/visiting family - both Hollywood or Santa Anita are easy enough to get to from their home (near USC). I also have friends that live high in the hills of Altadena and will try to go by there for a visit if I can, so again S.A. is not too far away (actually, you can watch the races from their back yard on a clear day with binoculars!). Will be there from Fri am thru Mon pm and would enjoy the chance to introduce myself to the West Coast contingent of this Board if timing and geography will allow for it. Let me know if this might work and any of you have an interest in putting a face with a fellow Message Board poster - I know I'd enjoy the opportunity to introduce myself.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:26 pm

Sorry, Jellac, I live in Northern California and won't be going south until the Barretts sale on October 5 (my birthday!). The Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita doesn't open until Wednesday, Sep 29, so the only SoCal racing you'll be able to see is at Fairplex (Pomona), the county fair. It's the largest in the state and a lot of fun.

The next time you visit California please have the decency to come only during the BIG race meets! LOL and have fun.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:50 pm

Well darn, Michael was hoping to get to meet you. Happy B-Day in advance - hope you buy (or sell?) a really nice horse as your best possible present at the Barretts auction Oct 5th!

This is actually a spur of the moment multiple B-day celebration/visit: my BIL & niece's shared B-day, plus a belated celebration of my nephew's and who knows, perhaps a few strangers' B-day celebrations thrown into the mix. I understand that we are all going to a Mexican restaurant just over the crest of the Hollywood Hills for margueritas/dinner one evening - after first riding there on horseback at sunset. Twil be interesting to see how my podner manages a wicked equine of the rent-a-stable variety negotiating those rather steep trails - he of the loathing for heights and little enthusiasm for riding horses (he'd much rather have one in an exacta than under saddle!). The last time I participated in this sort of adventure I had the bad fortune to get put aboard a daring sort with seeminly little instinct for taking care of itsself......liked to tread at the very outer-most edge of the trail with nothing but brush and loose rock, scratch n'tear type plants falling steeply away to my right......I had concerns that it might have suicidal tendancies, but perhaps it was a horse with a penchant for the distant view. Oh well, maybe it will be too smoggy or foggy for podner to realize how far down it is....I am thinking mas margueritas may be in order for the dear man once we get there & before we saddle back up to go home, entirely downhill, with all the lights of LA spread out below and the equine penchant for charging home......! Sorry you can't join us - another time.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:01 pm

Sounds like great fun! You'll find out what those old caballeros were carrying in those canteens as you ante up and down the hills. They weren't that daring, only drunk! Spectacular views, and the sunsets are most spectacular when the ozone levels are at their highest. You're likely to get exactly that in the last weeks of September. Say hello to my alma mater, USC. Thats where I got my BS degree. LOL.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:19 am

Hi Jellac,
I have the weekend open and would love to hook up with you and the podner. Email me, [email protected]

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:40 am

I think I know the Mexican restaurant you are talking about and, if so, it's down the street from me. Email me at [email protected] and let me know when you are around.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:05 pm

Diane/Sysonby -

I've sent you both an e-mail and will definitely try to make arrangements to meet while we are out in Los Angeles this weekend.

[email protected]
Maiden Special Weight

Postby [email protected] » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:58 pm

Hi Jellac...I know you will have a great time in So. Cal. I too am in Northern Ca. now, Redding/Red Bluff area. It is so great when you can meet up with ones you corresponde with on these "boards".

Two weeks ago, "cyber horsey friends" Appaloosa breeders from Australia, came to the US to visit family and purchase a new stallion. They stopped in and visited with me for a couple of hours! Pat

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:30 pm

We're meeting at Dukes in Malibu at 6:30 Saturday eve if anyone else in SoCal neighborhood wants to join us. Sysonby? Louis? BJ?

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:58 pm

Jellac,

It would be fun to meet up. Unfortunately, after a long, busy week, Saturday morning (6:30 a.m.) we drive 100 miles roundtrip (south to Rancho Santa Fe) to visit the filly (and all her friends) and watch the filly breeze. Then, after we have unloaded (personally) about 10 lbs of carrots (maybe more) into the mouths of almost all the turned out horses, we drive back home, where partner collapses and anxiously awaits the start of the USC game. People could die around him and he will not be disturbed.

Arcadia/Santa Anita is about 80 miles North of me.

Sure hope you can come out this way again soon. Our filly will be starting at Santa Anita after Xmas or in January 2005. I'd make it up that way for sure, on pure adrenalin! :lol: Anyway, hope you have a great time while you are here!

Michael,

Are you selling AND buying at Barretts? Or just selling? I'll be there to check out a couple.

Diane

Dukes Saturday night

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:56 pm

http://hometown.aol.com/cicuinicu1/Hors ... iends.html
Nice time had by all. Jellac,Sysonby,Diane,EdaSelro :D

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:39 am

Oh, very cool! Thanks for sharing! If anyone's ever out toward Indiana, let me know!

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:04 pm

BJ,

Just selling...if the price is right. I don't want to start the old argument about putting reserves on horses, so I'll just leave it at that.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Rendezvous was a blast!

Postby jellac » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:30 pm

I really enjoyed getting to meet Sysonby, Diane, Eda Selro first hand, spend an evening of good food and good horsey conversation - plus the setting was classic Malibu coastline view! Just sorry that Michael, LOUIS, BJ and others on the W. Coast couldn't make it.

Good luck at the Sale/Oak Tree Meet to all..will try to rendezvous again next trip out....(and thanks to Diane for taking/posting the photo!)