Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Opti-Mate
Weanling

Thoughts on these matings

Postby Opti-Mate » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:36 am

Yes It's True / Sweet Carolina by Deputy Minister
Medaglia d'Oro / Mum's Gold by Goldlust

Thank you!
Breed a true racehorse, not an expensive pet!

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:17 pm

Opti Mate

Yes It's True is an absolutely grand looking stallion. A very big horse.

But take a look at Successful Appeal at his new home...Walmac. He looks like a prototype athlete...balanced...strong...beautifully proportioned; he has a lovely head and intelligent eye and is clearly the most outstanding son of Valid Appeal I have ever seen...he is very special...regardless of who he is by.

It is clear when you see him on the end of a lead shank that he had the physical ingredients to really run...and he did.

He was one heck of a race horse and was a graded SW at 2, 3 and 4 (which Yes It's True was not)...

and he also won at a mile (which Yes It's True did not.).

Successful Appeal has been absolutely astounding (thus far)...and although some peg him as a sprint sire...he has already sired a stakes winner going a mile (Punch Appeal won the Ky Cup Juvenile Fillies basically in wire-to-wire fashion) as you probably know.

I believe he is the "real deal." Not only does he get runners (and a significant number of stakes-winners; 4 already [including 1 graded] from less than 40 registered foals)...but they have explosive speed and a definite tenacity/toughness about them. And he's already proven a mile is not a problem.

I look forward to hearing your comments about him...

Regardless...Yes It's True is a very nice horse and Medaglia D'Oro was a "monster."

Best

Respectfully

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Successful Appeal

Postby Bill from WA » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:28 am

Hi

It was nice to get a physical description of Successful Appeal. I did a conduit profile on the guy, and he does have enough stamina influences to sire more than just sprinters. His conduit mare is Addenda, a half sibling to the great mare Pretty Polly. His profile is: 8-3-5-6-4 (11/10) with an index of 1.26, tilting toward speed. He might just get an individual with classic potential with the right mare.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:13 am

FOS I think you should get paid extra from Walmac as being Successful Appeals personal "press agent." :lol: :D :lol:

FOS
Freshman Sire

Hi Jessi P

Postby FOS » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:55 pm

Hi Jessi P,

As you know I have thought highly of Successful Appeal for a long time. I thought he was a cinch for success (despite being ignored by prognosticators) but I must admit that what he's accomplished thus far is more than I could have imagined. He has convinced me and continues to do so.

When his daughter Punch Appeal won the Ky Cup Juvenile Fillies (going a mile) in basically wire-to-wire fashion...I was frozen in a moment of silence.

Put it in perspective...If Giant's Causeway or Fusaichi Pegasus had accomplished (to this point) what Successful Appeal has...you would have heard endless commentary as to the greatness they are destined for.

And when you consider the fact that SA's 2 year-old crop is barely a fraction of the size of either of those fine young stallions...it is even more amazing.

What Successful Appeal has accomplished thus far is nothing short of sensational...from very limited opportunity (including a book of mares that might be described as average or a cut below) he has catapulted himself to the status of North America's Leading Juvenile. Not just the Leading Freshman Sire, but also the Leading Juvenile Sire.

His offspring are approaching the $1 mil in earnings mark...with 4 stakes-winners (including one graded) thus far, from a foal crop of less than 40 registered...I am amazed...he is special.

Best to you.

Respectfully

louis finochio
Darley line

Successful Appeal

Postby louis finochio » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:00 pm

I love his (Fair Play) sire line. Successful Appeal is producing the goods, and carrying the torch of (Fair Play) on to stardom. In Reality (Fair Play) sire line mare's are golden and they cross or nick well with the (Phalaris) sire line, giving the (Phalaris) sire line a much needed outcross.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:42 am

Sweet Carolina's full sister Stolen Beauty has her only stakes winner from a Seattle Slew son (Capote), so this may be a direction you want to look at. I wasn't really thrilled by a Matty G/Sweet Carolina cross, but Chief Seattle/Sweet Carolina looks interesting and has the Icecapade/Northern Dancer cross that the Yes It's True mating also provided; the one hesitation right off the bat would be pairing two parents with such little racing history between them.

I have to view the Medaglia d'Oro/Mum's Gold pairing with caution. This is an unproven sire with an unproven mare whose dam also has a pretty limited produce record. Mum's Gold also isn't quite of the caliber her black type and earnings might suggest since her stakes wins/placings were all in restricted races, and her immediate female family is all right but not execeptional. $35,000 for an unproven sire for this mare? Even assuming you know how to negotiate a better deal, I'm not sure this is a great gamble unless the mare is a splendid physical specimen and you are hoping for a yearling sales hit with a first-year sire.

Given that Mum's Gold is sired by a Mr. P son who traces in his t/f line to So Chic -- a full sister to Glamour, whose son Poker is Seattle Slew's broodmare sire -- a Slew-line sire seems to be a natural here, and the obvious bargain choice is Slew City Slew if breeding to race, especially since this mating picks up a sex-balanced 5x5 cross to Hail to Reason. Matty G may also be worth a look. Chief Seattle/Mum's Gold really looks pretty nice on paper but also comes under the unproven sire caveat.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis