Never seen so many semi flaxen tails in a Keenl Sept. Sale

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Jorge

Never seen so many semi flaxen tails in a Keenl Sept. Sale

Postby Jorge » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:46 pm

Wow, never seen so many semi-flaxen tails in a Keeneland September Sale. Are these for real?

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:53 pm

Jorge, do they seem to be from a particular bloodline? I wonder if there's a pattern to it.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:17 am

Jorge, I agree with you, I saw many too. And no, Laurie, I wasn't able to find a pattern. I'm also seeing an unusual number of bay yearlings with predominantly gray tails (like the stallion Jazz Club has).

Tairaterces
Grade III Winner

Postby Tairaterces » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:35 am

Could it be that they are enhancing with lemon juice for that sun-bleached look??

T
:wink:
"and Secretariat let no one down on the unforgettable afternoon of June 9, 1973, when he ran a hole in the wind"
~Bob Ehalt~

Avatar: Istabraq (Sadler's Wells x Betty's Secret by Secretariat) Champion Hurdler

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:41 am

Is there a feeling by the sellers that flaxen is "hot"? If so all the flaxen manes & tails may be enhanced with lemon juice or Hydrogen Peroxide.

hurleynyc
Maiden Special Weight

flaxen tails

Postby hurleynyc » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:34 am

Some of these tails may be "enhanced," but for the most part they are probably natural. Some bays, and even dark bays, have flaxen-looking tails while they're still babies and yearlings. Gorgeous, aren't they? The tails do turn to the classic bay "dark point" tail as the baby/yearling grows older, and usually the tails are dark by the time the horse is a 2 yo. It's sort of akin to young children with blonde hair - blonde children often turn out to be non-blonde as the child matures, especially when the parents both have dark hair and probably passed down the genes for darker hair. Has something to do with the body's increased ability to make melanin as it matures - the level of melanin (or eumelanin) determines the color of hair.

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:36 am

I'd be surprised if flaxen was currently considered "hot". Though I find it very pretty, I know there are lots of horse people who hate that coloring. There was a Storm Cat colt last year that sold very well--he might have been the sale topper--that was a very flashy chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:41 pm

The cited Storm Cat flaxen tailed colt sold last year for 2.6 million was initially named PEARSE, but later his name was changed to INDIGO CAT. Very beautiful colt indeed. I don't know what effect the stamp of this colt had in this year's Keeneland Sept. Sales but all I can say is that many people are still talking about his good looks. This year's flaxen yearlings made again news.

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:41 pm

I'd like to add another flax to the bunch. Will's Wonder - Will's Way x Tiny Watch is a beautiful chestnut with a wide white blaze and four white anklets to go with his flax mane and tail.
Nu

Alibhai's Alibar
Yearling

Postby Alibhai's Alibar » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:47 pm

i've noticed that Alphabet Soup has sired a few light chestnuts with almost-flaxen manes and tails.

Abbondanza, by Alphabet Soup:

http://www.finalturngallery.com/album656/edit50

and Saint Ballado sired Paddington and Flame Thrower, both flaxen.

and Ted, sired by Deputed Testamony:

http://www.finalturngallery.com/United-Nations-Handicap-and-Random-2003-Monmouth-Park-photos/aas

judi
Allowance Winner

Postby judi » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:18 pm

I have to think they are doing something to get that pretty flaxen mane. Strangely enough, none of them that I saw had flaxen tails.
Jorge, don't know if you were watching the end of the sale today. I though of you when hip# 3972 went through the ring. It was a Storm Creek named Slick Scene. He was a beautiful dark bay, with striking white stockings. Definitely a sabino.
Judi