Name Shame ? - Galloping Grocer (and other crazy monikers)

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:48 pm

Who says it has to?

See, that's what I DON'T like. If you can come up with something GOOD, then I don't have too much of a problem with looking to incorporate the parents name into the horse, but I would MUCH prefer you come up with something original. To me, relying too heavily on the parents for inspiration shows a distressing lack of imagination most times.

Nope, didn't mean the name has to mimic the parentage -- the example of Periscope is an excellent example. You can be creative and still hint at the parentage. IMHO, I just thought the double "storms" in this particular individual's parentage would make for all kinds of naming ideas -- Storm Bank, Gale Force -- but Giant's Causeway? For the life of me, I can't figure out how they came up with that.

A couple of other strange ones that came to me today are Lemon Drop Kid (c'mon, for a racehorse?) and Black Minnaloushe (say what???). I have no idea what a "Minnaloushe" (sic???) is. Only mental image it conjures up for me is Snydley Whiplash's moustache. (And if you're not an old Dudley Do-Right cartoon fan, you have no idea what I"m talking about. LOL)
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

camohn
Starters Handicap

Postby camohn » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:42 pm

Worst TB names I have seen: Retard and Dishwasher. Retard was a show horse / saw that at a show where I worked the registration table. They could have picked a new show name at very least!!! "and now we have number 42.....Retard......on deck...." GAAAACK! Dishwasher was a horse at Finger Lakes when I lived up there. "And it's Dishwasher chugging up the backstetch..." A mare we have now My Kickin Cass had the barn name KickAss with her last owner. (Didn't kick much a$$ with a 7 (1-0-0) record....but she jumps well :wink: . We call her Cassie.) Finally the Worst Ever name goes to a QH my hubby just got. Was a track pony at Penn. His name is Hombre, which isn't too bad........until you see his full registered name on the papers. A Fist Full Of Hombre. EWWWWW. The AQHA has NO pride!!!

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:53 pm

I thought I read somewhere that "Black Minnaloushe" was a name from one of T. S. Eliot's cat poems (the source material for the Broadway musical Cats). Can't be absolutely sure since I haven't read much of Eliot's work.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:12 pm

Mahubah wrote:Well, I never thought much of the name Kissin Kris either -- given his ability, he should have had a name with a bit more of a ring to it. But looking at the names given to the other foals of his dam Toes Forward, it would seem her owner wasn't particularly gifted in coming up with ideas. The one really good name in the lot was At Attention (by Lt. Stevens).

Smirk

It was cute for what it was, but I could never figure out where Mr. Franks (or maybe Alta, I'm not sure who named him, but he's a Franks homebred) got the Kissin part of the name from. I'm not sure I would have been as enamoured with him -- hell wouldn't even have taken much notice of him -- if it weren't for that name, but yeah, I've heard better.

I let it slide on that one because I kind of like the names like that -- Seattle Slew, Kicken Kris, Roman Ruler, etc -- even if they don't have a top ring to them.

"Bush Won" is the one that irks me from his sibs .. that's only because I REALLY don't like either Shrub ... and now it looks like good old Jeb is next in line. Kill me now.

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:21 pm

Mahubah wrote:I thought I read somewhere that "Black Minnaloushe" was a name from one of T. S. Eliot's cat poems (the source material for the Broadway musical Cats). Can't be absolutely sure since I haven't read much of Eliot's work.

W.B. Yeats, actually. The Cat and The Moon

http://www.poetry-archive.com/y/the_cat ... _moon.html

I was never much for Yeats (Eliot, either really ... Poe was more my style). I only remember it because I remember the story about Black Minnaloushe when he was running.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:47 pm

Mahubah wrote:I thought I read somewhere that "Black Minnaloushe" was a name from one of T. S. Eliot's cat poems (the source material for the Broadway musical Cats). Can't be absolutely sure since I haven't read much of Eliot's work.

BM may not have been from Eliot, but plenty of Storm Cat foal owners have raided 'Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats' - witness Macavity, Tumblebrutus, Bustopher Jones, Jellicle Cat, and Old Deuteronomy. Then there's Skimbleshanks and Mungojerrie, both by Tale Of The Cat, and Mistoffolees, by Tactical Cat. :)

Love the poems. Hated the play. :roll: :wink:

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:12 pm

I can't recall all of the story about Galloping Grocer, but it is either named after the owner or one of his friends, who are in the food business. I remember when I heard the story it actually made some sense.

Monica, Sam is a nice guy and I know him well from Saratoga.

ckaye
Yearling

Postby ckaye » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:53 pm

Does anybody remember the nice looking gelding on CANTER named Horrible Hairy Hog? Poor guy.

I own the mare Yodar, which I've always thought was pretty bad, too.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:19 pm

Speaking of CANTER horses....there was one at Suffolk recently named The Big Ugly.....dreadful name, but I loved that mare! I have her picture on my computer wallpaper. :)

Alibhai's Alibar
Yearling

Postby Alibhai's Alibar » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:12 pm

the march of the "Stinky"s:

STINKY STEELE 1988 by PITCHING WEDGE out of MAMZEL DESARAE
STINKY 1987 by PRIZE RING out of PATAPSCO PARK
STINKY LOVER 1989 by LE DUC DE BAR out of ANGEL'S SKY
STINKY DINKY 1991 by JUDGE SMELLS out of DARBY DINKY
STINKY MINK 1994 by BOLGER out of RAVAH'S MINK
STINKY TOYS (FR) 1994 by ROI DE ROME out of SILVER CONCERT (FR)
STINKY 1997 by JUDGE SMELLS out of CODE'S BLOSSOM
STINKY WHO 1997 by YOUMADEYOURPOINT out of WHO AM I
STINKY TWINKIE 1999 by PROSPER FAGER out of CAREER QUEST
STINKY WINKY 1999 by JUDGE SMELLS out of WINK AND A SMILE
STINKY SECRET 2000 by SECRET CLAIM out of CRIMSON LUCY
STINKY PETE (AUS) 2000 by GOLD FEVER out of AIN'T SHE A DAISY

Bogataj
Suckling

Postby Bogataj » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:07 am

Did you hear about JAFEICA?

It comes out of Just Another F*** Expense I Can't Afford...
Borut

Sam

Postby Sam » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:17 am

Bogataj wrote:Did you hear about JAFEICA?

It comes out of Just Another F*** Expense I Can't Afford...

Smirk

I always liked "Mom'sferrari". Kind of figured "mom" wanted a car and "dad" wanted a horse ... dad won the coin toss so mom got to name it.

TEXAS
Maiden Special Weight

Postby TEXAS » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:30 am

Becareful when you translate this one

Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN

and whatever you do... don't do a google search on that name... and never watch the suggested video...

this mare has been racing at Lone Star this past year... laughing texas...
I STARTED OUT WITH NOTHING...
AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT...

monicabee
Allowance Winner

Postby monicabee » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:41 am

Joe, well, feel free to name a horse Save the Bugler then! It might be a while before I have that privilege. For those of you who haven't met him, Sam lives for the Saratoga season, where he is the roaming entertainer far above and beyond the call to post. Any conversation that suggests a theme to him becomes a musical performance. I even saw him playing the call to post into a cell phone for some woman's husband who couldn't make it to the track!

The name of the horse I couldn't recall yesterday to contribute is:

HALL LASS - say it fast....

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:02 am

LOL, Monicabee, who is Sam?
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!