Name Shame ? - Galloping Grocer (and other crazy monikers)

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:51 am

They had a shocker in Ontario in the 50's called York Hunt,she was a full sister to the mighty Kingarvie.

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:10 am

Any football half time fans? How about Janet's Shield out of Bubbi Prize?

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:17 am

At Hawthorne:

Interesting Prune
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Denise » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:33 am

The most revolting name for a thoroughbred I've heard this year is SUGAR BOOGER. :roll:

One of the best names I've ever seen was for our trainer's homebred filly, by Tricky Mister, from Bates Gal (Bates Motel): MOTEL TRICKS.
Still can't figure out how they got it past the JKC.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a name we submitted a few days ago for our yearling filly will get approved.
Unbridled Jet, ex. Cozzy Rhythm: MILE HIGH CLUB.
:lol:

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:58 pm

Denise wrote:The most revolting name for a thoroughbred I've heard this year is SUGAR BOOGER. :roll:

One of the best names I've ever seen was for our trainer's homebred filly, by Tricky Mister, from Bates Gal (Bates Motel): MOTEL TRICKS.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a name we submitted a few days ago for our yearling filly will get approved.

That one won't get by. We tried it last year and it came back rejected as it is "offensive". Good luck though. Maybe you'll get them on a better day. :)

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Denise » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:06 pm

I actually wanted to name our first foal from this combo that, but was pretty sure it would be red flagged. We'll see.

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:56 am

Denise wrote:The most revolting name for a thoroughbred I've heard this year is SUGAR BOOGER. :roll:

The JC is so arbitrary sometimes... I mean if they let through Blowhard and Blow Hole, well pot meet kettle when there's something of yours they find offensive..

Try Mile High Times...it's a play on words and takes it up a notch in the naughty department without their necessarily catching it... mile high club + high times as in the you know what magazine.... Unbridled Rhythm, Unbridled High, Unbridled Show, Unbridled Dance and Unbridled Jazz are actually not taken. Rhythm Method might also be amusing though might be kicked out. Invisible Jet gets you a Wonder Woman reference and the jet in there. Bicoastal Baby, Play Me Off, For Her Pleasure, Jetted, Girl in Every Port, Bombshell Blues, Cozzy Cockpit, Miles Above, Sexy Stewardess.. I'm riffing.. if you get yours great but I'm here if you want any more...those last ones are me being a bit silly but hey, I figure you started it with Mile High Club. ;) They've allowed names with the word 'sexy' in there so one of those might make it.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Denise » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:30 pm

Thanks, Heidi. Some fun suggestions in there! Mile High Times is great.
Unbridled Rhythm has been on my list since the first foal, too. This yearling is a big, strong baby, so she needs a moniker that fits her size and scope. We have a long list of possibilities, so we'll work our way down and see what gets through.

skywatcher
Maiden Special Weight

Postby skywatcher » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:39 am

my Mare's name is "Wig"... such a horrid name for such a sweet old girl

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:37 am

Ofcr. Sheila T Rex . . .
Liver
Isitingood
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.

----Arrested Development

justinnich
Maiden Special Weight

Postby justinnich » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:36 am

Gotta give some credit to Caesar Kimmel, who had a real talent for this...don't know if any of these came up but here are a few he had:

Flat Fleet Feet (solely to mess with the track announcers though not a bad horse)
Peony's Envy
Short Hair
Honor an Offer
I'm a Hellraiser

And the most ridiculous of all, a filly out of Nite of Fun... I Love The Organ

My dad was partners with Caesar (his initials made up the "ran" in Kimran stables) for years so you can blame us for letting him get away with some of his names. Most of these weren't with us but he had others too.

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:51 am

I love the name Flat Fleet Feet. In a sea of boring names, that one stood out and you have an excuse since she is by Afleet. :)

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:53 pm

I recently came across a clever name that I was surprised hadn't been immediately rejected as patently offensive.

The sire was Housebuster, the dam was Honest And True. Their filly was named Polly Adler.

Polly Adler was a notorious whorehouse madam who wrote a book titled "A House Is Not A Home".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polly_Adler

Obviously "offensive" is in the nose of the beholder!

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:22 am

I remember I Love The Organ. I guffawed the first time I saw her name listed in the entries.
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:34 am

BargainBlueblood wrote:I remember I Love The Organ. I guffawed the first time I saw her name listed in the entries.

hehehe I didn't think you could take a filly to church. ;)