EEE in NH

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Crystal
Freshman Sire

EEE in NH

Postby Crystal » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:33 pm

I know just a few of us are from New England. The Eagle Tribune had a article about 2 horses in Kingston, NH contacting Triple E.. One died, and the other is recovering (it's only recovering because they vaccinated for it the day before). So heads up to all.. It is in our area. Dump your water buckets when they are not in use, birdbathes, water tubs should be double checked for their level more often. Any standing water should be emptied. Also stay away from doing too much in the early morning and late night evening hours, thats when quitos' feed. Wear spray too!!

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Re: EEE in NH

Postby Sam » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:37 pm

Refresh my memory, please.

"Equine Encephalitic ???"

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:40 pm

Eastern Equine Encephalitis I believe, as opposed to WEE, or Western Equine Encephalitis.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/arbor/eeefact.htm
http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/equine.html
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3155.htm

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:46 pm

Thank you, ma'am.

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:46 pm

This is new, or, at least, a "return". EEE hasn't been around here in years. Just a couple of years ago, my vet from Tufts told me not to worry about EEE hadn't been seen in eons. As with all viruses, and like lifeforms, they go in cycles, where they become dormant and then reappear, sometimes in a slightly more virulent form, but they go in surges. They are probaby always around, laying low, but then they rear their ugly heads and get ready to blow - its the same old story.

Meanwhile, its sad to see (sped)EEE active again.
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:19 pm

It has reared it ugly head in Mass a couple times this past summer. FOX 25 said a guy died from it last month on the south shore. We vaccinate for both Eastern/Western 2x a year anyway. I require it in my barn because we live near a heavily wooded area. It would be a shame to loose any horse to a mesquito bite!

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:40 pm

Oh, ugh. I should qualify and say that my vet always said to vaccinate, just told me the stats at the time were that it hadn't been seen. Ugly to see it is appearing again.
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!

Nancy T
Allowance Winner

Postby Nancy T » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:04 pm

This is NOTHING to mess with, wear repellent if you are outside. I am one of the lucky people who survived this. I had the severe headache/fever/swelling of the brain and a spinal tap (the worst thing I have ever encountered) confirmed EEE. I am lucky that I got to the hospital early enough to recieve treatment before I suffered perm damage.

monicabee
Allowance Winner

Postby monicabee » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:46 pm

There were also a couple of cases in Monticello, New York (horses) earlier in the month.