Update on My Hard Keeper..

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Update on My Hard Keeper..

Postby Marli » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:59 pm

Wanted to share -

Remember my messages regarding my stallion and the suspected ulcers - well, after having done bloodwork, teeth floating, and scoping as well as treating him w/GastroGuard for 4 weeks (always kept wormed), I seriously considered changing his diet totally. I chose this as my last option and from discussions w/2 different trainers and a friend who suggested I take him 'back to basics'.

Since the scoping wasn't able to determine with certainty the possibility of ulcers (it didn't reach far enough), he was treated regardless w/the GastroGuard. All during this time I had done extensive reading, different articles on ulcers, diets conducive to less irritation (steering clear of molasses based feeds/lower fat/higher fiber).

Finally four weeks ago I decided I had nothing to lose and if anything, some weight gain on this fella. I went to my local feed store and purchased Crimped Oats, Alfafa Cubes, Beet Pulp Pellets, Corn Meal and Wheat Bran. Did lots of reading to make sure I'd get the portion of each properly and alas, began to feed this mix.

The rest of my brood are easy keepers although I opted to place them all on this mix - since I have to mix it anyway I figured what's fixing it for all of them. I am extremely happy and pleased to report that he is gaining weight, and weight gain that I can [b]see![/b]

Honest to goodness, if I had known this back in the Spring, something as simple as getting him off the mollasses based feed (had been feeding Triple Crown Complete) would produce the weight gain I could've saved myself some vet visits! As for the 4 weeks of GastroGuard, I'm really not sure that it did anything at all for him, at the end of the 4 weeks he was still looking the same and I hadn't seen any difference weight wise.

Twice a day I go out and sit on a bale of hay and begin making up the 11 portions for each of my horses, takes me an hour, but I'm amazed at how much they LOVE it! I have to admit, once I combine it all it really does smell good, resembles a tub of cereal mix. I know they're definately hydrated well as the alfafa cubes and beet pulp pellets are soaked.

Go Figure!

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:23 pm

I worked for an "old timer" who mixed his own feed every single day. Well, his foreman did it, he didnt! Mixed it in a wheelbarrow, layering in oats, corn, bran, pellets, beet pulp, vitas & minerals, etc and mixed it with his hands. Smelled to DIE for good.. like granola.

So glad to hear your horse is relishing his new diet........ as I am sure they all are!

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:46 pm

Thats what we do Jessi we mix it at every feeding.

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:50 pm

Wow Ageecee, so I guess there are still some folks that mix their own. All I know is it's working!

And it really does smell good, especially since the horses eat before I have my own breakfast! :roll:

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:52 pm

Wow Ageecee, so I guess there are still some folks that mix their own. All I know is it's working!

And it really does smell good, especially since the horses eat before I have my own breakfast! :roll:

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:52 pm

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:57 pm

8) I quit using molasses based feed a month ago, mostly because I had some horses that had a bit of diabetic reaction -- stocked up hind legs and/or peeing/drinking excessively, looking ribby, etc. So I found a grain supplier who delivers and got in a couple of tons of oats, which I have been mixing with Macauley's Alam.

Marli, what are the ratios for your mix?

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:15 pm

Madelyn-

Here goes-

My scoop is 57 oz., stainless steel (for comparison)

Soaked Alfafa Cubes- I shred them up and they're each getting 2 full scoops.

Soaked Beet Pulp Pellets- the hard keeper gets 2 full scoops, the rest of the gang gets 1 full scoop.

Cleaned Crimped Oats- 2 scoops

Corn Meal- good 1/4 scoop and I've been told that as colder weather approaches I can up it to a 1/2 scoop.

Wheat Bran- good 1/4 scoop

For my hard keeper, I am still feeding him the Hard Keeper Supplement, 1/2 scoop 2 x's a day.

After placing all of this in their buckets, I mix it all up by hand (I've been wearing disposable gloves, too difficult to get it out from under my nails!). I make sure it's all mixed well and I can't tell you how appealing it smells and even looks! As you can imagine, a 5 gallon bucket is nearly 3/4 full with this type of feeding (shredded alfafa, shredded beet pulp take up alot of space). They're getting it 2 x's a day and they're doing wonderful! I can't believe it! :)