Off Topic but cool

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Off Topic but cool

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:38 am

Ooh, there's a Great White Shark sighted in the waters here. Its supposed to be 15 feet long, about 2000 pounds, just off Naushon Island. I went over to see what the helicopters were all about, and there's a bunch of TV crews standing over by the National Marine Fisheries docks, guess they are going to do a piece on it. It was sighted and tagged for research a day or two ago. The copters seem to be circling, they must be over it. The interesting thing is, its hanging out just a few miles from Menemsha, the town on Martha's Vineyard where Jaws was filmed. There are a bunch of smaller islands just off Woods Hole, where I am, curving out to the Vinyard, and its swimming around through the straights between the islands, I believe.

I'm sure nobody really cares, but its cool to be here. Here's a link to a small blurb with pics, to the right of the page. http://www.turnto10.com/news/3757947/detail.html

Cheryl[/img]
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:46 am

Hey Cheryl.............

DONT.
GO.
INTO.
THE.
WATER.

:lol: :D :o :lol:

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:48 am

Da-DA, Da-DA, Da-DA, Da-Da [increase tempo].... :lol:
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:51 am

LOL!

Too late! I didn't hear about this until today, and apparently that sucker showed up earlier in the Week. Earlier in the week, I was swimming in the unusual surf, all by myself. Had a ball, big waves, ultra warm water. Couldn't figure out why no one else was out, and I'm not kidding. No one. Now I know. And it did occur to me that some sharks could be out, what with the storms having churned everything up, Great Whites I guess are much more a coastal fish than deep water, so it makes some sense.

THey aren't seen, or noticed, anyway, very often, around here, though. Very odd.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:09 am

Well, I for one would like to meet the brave soul that tagged the shark. Perhaps he could be looking for a safer job, say as a stallion manager....

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:15 am

Supposedly he used a six foot long spear, and tagged him in the dorsal fin - from a boat, I am assuming!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:19 am

Well, still, going after a great white in a boat small/low enough to be able to tag a shark... didn't they show the movie "Jaws" in your neck of the sea? Still sounds more dangerous that manhandling a 1200lb stud on a shank near a mare in standing heat....

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:35 am

Honey, they FILMED the movie "Jaws" in my neck of the sea! Jaws was filmed on Martha's Vineyard, just offshore from my livingroom window, in another tiny little fishing village called "Menemsha". I was going to High School at the time, in a town in Connecticut, and our school just happened bo be called "Amity High". A bunch of us went up to the location, up here where I am now, wearing our school jackets, and alot of the kids that did that got to be extras in the movie. Not me. I didn't have such a jacket. Hey, it was the early seventies. I didn't believe in anything that smacked of "conforming". Missed out on more than a few things in my life because of that sentiment, but that's another tale for another time.

Cheers, Cheryl

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:46 am

.........Still sounds more dangerous that manhandling a 1200lb stud on a shank near a mare in standing heat....

Well, you have to understand, this town is headquarters for the Woods Hole Oceanographic, the MBL (Marine Biological Lab), National Marine Fisheries, NOAA, USGS, Coast Guard has a station up here, Sea Grant, National Science Foundation, probably more...there are an awful lot of ocean wranglers roaming around these narrow streets. On a given day there are two or three huge oceanography research vessles in port, the Alvin (submersible which found the Titanic) is home, here, someone may have dragged a russian trawler into port, found within the 300 or whatever mile limit of US waters, and until a few years ago Bob Ballard his own self <I should genuflect, I guess, in case I'm being watched> called this port home (now he's headquarted at Mystic, CT). This is actually one of the big world headquarters (there are others, but it IS the oldest) for marine science in the world. So there is alot of swagger, and a general emptying of the labs lining Water Street, on a day a Great White swims up to their door.

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:32 pm

Annoying - the Shark Attack copters are over my house. I hope the shark didn't swim into Eel Pond - that's right off my doorstep (salt water inlet).

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:36 pm

Heh, Heh.

I should go throw some hamburger out off my sea wall.

Heh, Heh.

Alibhai's Alibar
Yearling

Postby Alibhai's Alibar » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:14 pm

madelyn wrote:Well, I for one would like to meet the brave soul that tagged the shark. Perhaps he could be looking for a safer job, say as a stallion manager....

or John Henry's farrier- lol :lol:

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:59 pm

Or as ANYONE who has to deal with John Henry. There's been a persistent rumor that he died a few years back and was replaced by a lookalike...one weary Horse Park employee shot back to that one, "If that had happened, don't you think we'd have replaced him with something NICER?"
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:48 pm

Hm. I have not heard about John Henry, although it seems I have heard something, back in my recesses. Particular horse, was he? I'll google him, and find out about him. <grin>

C.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:31 pm

Hey Cheryl -- if you've got your TV on, may want to flip over to the Weather Channel. Apparently, they're about to put up something about that Great White in Cape Cod Bay.