Rubiano as a broodie sire

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Domino
Suckling

Postby Domino » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:53 am

I bought a Rubiano mare in November last year in foal to Silver Ghost, which we're planning on sending through November this year. Really nice foal, great muscle definition and size. I do chalk some of that up to Silver Ghost, as he has a rep. for throwing a good foal. Personally think he's another underrated sire, not commercial, but great for those who breed to race. Overall though, I'm very pleased with this mare- great temperment, good bone, correct, and it seems like Rubiano could be a solid broodmare sire. Being from the family he's from certainly can't hurt. The interesting thing about this mare is that she's got a balanced 3x3 inbreed to Nijinsky, which has seemingly resulted in her foals being able to go a route of ground, but not have much, if any, speed early on. We're focusing on sending her to some sires who were very quick, or who are known for throwing quick horses. She's infoal to Officer right now, and currently the plan is to send her to Successful Appeal next year. It'll be interesting to see how having Nijinsky up close in his pedigree affects the racing tendency's of his daughter's progeny. My thoughts are that it won't really show itself unless it's doubled close up, like in our mare.