Cometes update

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Roguelet

Cometes update

Postby Roguelet » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:26 pm

Well, I took Cometes in for his "three day scope" today... there was a little swelling of the flaps, which the Vet said to expect, but not much at all; and the flaps are staying put under the epiglottis where they belong. There was no blood or fluid, and now I have more pictures to add to his portfolio! I have more pictures of the inside of this horse than I do the outside! He has become wise to me coming at him twice a day with the long tube, so I have to twitch him to get the throat spray done, which I HATE to do, but it's important that he get the medicine, so I do what I have to do.

He should be a little happier now, because when I took him to the vet I also picked up our weanling that has a full leg cast on and must be stall-bound for two weeks... so they are side-by-side and have eachother for company. He was getting pretty miserable being alone in the barn.

They say things happen in threes... between his Entraped Epiglottis, the weanling's leg problems, and the mare with the recto-vaginal tear that we'll be repairing in about two weeks, I hope that's my "three" major vet bills for a while... Geesh!

Karie
Grade III Winner

Postby Karie » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:36 pm

Yikes! My mare had a recto-vaginal tear last year... What a terrible situation! I had my mare repaired at Michigan State University. Its expensive wow... ! They did a great job, She actually gained weight while she was there and came home covered in dapples! But she didn't get in foal this year :cry: Good luck with you mare!

I had 3 big vet bills last year.. I had a foal in neo-natal intensive care (Recto Vaginal tear mare's baby) then my stud had an ulcerated cornea, needing a graft on his eyeball and then the repair of the Recto-Vaginal tear. It was $8,000+ in vet bills for the year. Sad part was they were our only 2 horses at the time.... Now I have 6! Hopefully that will never happen again.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:55 am

Wow! Luckily, our foal that caused the recto-vaginal tear is fine... a very healthy, gorgeous, athletic little thing. We're weaning now, with plans to take the mare to Purdue for the repair in mid-October. I hope they can get the repair done in one stage... the vet bill will be large enough without having to do it in multiple stages. They said there would be plenty of time for her to be totally healed before breeding season, the plan is to put her under lights in December and hope for the best. I figure, if you have a year like this where you spend, spend, spend, you should be good for a while. I hope anyway...

The filly is doing fine this morning, we have to check her all the time so she doesn't get cast in her stall... if she lays down too close to the wall, she can't get up since her RH leg is completely immobilized with the cast. She's got a good outlook, good appetite, etc... and so does Cometes, and the mare is great health-wise, so hopefully this will all be over soon and life can get back to normal.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:05 am

Ouch! Glad your horses seem to be doing well, but you've definitely had your share of vet bills lately!
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Good to hear about Cometes

Postby Denise » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:54 am

Roguelet, I'm glad he's doing well. Hearing about your other vet bills made me wince and chuckle: that's the thing no one ever warns you about when you get romanced into the horse business. Hopefully, it ends at 3. Here's our weekend:
Our 4yo. maiden still has a blown up ankle after a turf race Friday at Pimlico where he lugged out in the stretch to finish 4th by just a couple (after leading for 3/4ths of the race, a long one), so we're waiting on those films. Our in-foal mare got kicked in the vagina by another evil mare, and bled pretty badly (scared the heck out of the farm manager who thought she slipped her foal), but it turns out to be just a flesh wound. My first question was "Is she still turned out with that mare?" Hate to think about her reprisal kick, because she's very witchy and vengeful. So that means if your theory is correct, we're bound to have one more of "something" in the next day or two. Yikes.
Our yearling colt is on the van to the breaking/training farm as we speak.
Hopefully, it's an uneventful ride. He'll be turned out with some other babies and our 7yo. gelding, the babysitter, who only likes other grey horses. He's extremely pushy and dictatorial to the browns and bays. Fortunately, our yearling is grey, but he probably will get an indoctrinating shot or two from the gelding just to show who's boss.
Ah, the horse business.