Backyard Race Horse (book)?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:30 pm

Kristie,

I would pick about half a dozen (if you can find that many) trainers that you like how their horses perform. I would then call them up and make appointments to visit their barn and talk to them about training your horse. Figure out what is most important to you, i.e., the soundness of the horse, the type of people that bring out the best in the horse because they understand that each horse is different and requires different things to perform at its best, etc. Then figure out what trainer would be the best fit for your horse. Take time to really check things out. You really want a trainter who puts the horse's health & soundness above all else. But, be sure and let him/her know, you want to SEE some results or you won't hesitate to pull him out of their barn. But, when all is said and done, be prepared to be realistic if your horse continues to act like he really doesn't want to be a racehorse. Get some referrals from people you trust (if you have friends who are TB horse owners).

I'd look for a trainer that does well with less than one that does well with more, if you know what I mean. Best to have him home, in the field, doing a little maturing, then having his head and attitude twisted by someone who either can't figure him out or doesn't care to.

Best of luck to you & Mighty Unbrakeable! But most of all, enjoy yourself along the way.

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:31 pm

Thanks BJ. I've already selected a trainer, based on 5 years of observation. She's not a world beater, but she's honest and lets the horse tell her where he/she belongs on its merits and not based on who Mommy or Daddy was. Has basically the philosophy I'm looking for - pretty much good feed, vitamins and careful training - doesn't use steroids, or potentially long term crippling joint injections. Her horses seem happy and well adjusted. L.D. (stable name) will go to her in Bowie when he's ready to begin speed work. she'll be the first to tell me if she doesn't think he has any talent. She's the one who recommended the training farm he's currently at, as she's received horses from them that are well adjusted, used to a track routine and well behaved working in company. She has a colt currently being broken at the same farm. If L.D. wasn't such a s__t, I'd have done the intitial jogging and legging up here myself (which is why I picked up a copy of the backyard racehorse! :) ) I'm hoping my yearling filly will be a little more cooperative and easier to manage. and yes, win, lose or whatever, I'm enjoying myself each step of the way.

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:25 pm

Kristie,

Okay, he's a gelding. That should help with his attitude.

Is he training on a farm or is he at a training center? Sounds like he might do better learning the basics on a farm. Racetracks/busy training centers with horses galloping and breezing can be way too exciting for youngsters just starting on getting legged up. What was it he did when they tried to take him to the track?

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:46 pm

He's on a farm. They've changed him from the first shift to the second shift, with some turnout time in the pasture first to take the edge off. He's responding better to this routine. From what I understand, he was throwing his head pretty violently, bucky bucky and just totally a.d.d. Just not ready for that much stimulation. He's still got a lot of growing up to do and I'm hoping the next month will help him turn the corner and develop more of a work ethic. I'm pretty sure he'll be worth the time spent on him, but it's a good thing there's plenty of L'oreal on the market, because if I wasn't gray before, I'd be silver overnight living through all his shenanigans. :roll: :roll: :roll:

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:49 pm

If hes throwing his head violently you might want to check his teeth they could be bothering him.

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:58 pm

teeth were floated last October and wolf teeth removed and floated again in May. He just doesn't like anyone "in his mouth".

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Backyard Racehorse

Postby henthorn » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:39 am

I read the book and went to one of the seminars by Janet de Castillo many years ago. I was naive and learned a lot. It's useful for reminding the owners that they can do part of the work at home and can watch for problems from vet and trainer bills that might be costing money or harming the horse.