Backyard Race Horse (book)?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

SummerLand
Weanling

Postby SummerLand » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:44 pm

Has anyone read the book Backyard Race Horse by Janet Del Castillo? I saw it today in Books-A-Million and I was intrigued, but did not buy it (as I was just window shopping for my mother's birthday not spending money). However, after reading the back of the book I was curious and considering purchasing it at a later date. However, I wanted to know what other Thoroughbred enthusiants thought of it :)

If anyone has read it, can you tell me what you think of it? Good parts, bad parts, etc. Would you consider a waste of money or an interesting read?

Thanks! :D

LC
Maiden Special Weight

Postby LC » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:48 am

I've not read the book but, as a fan of the sport that lives in the Tampa area (as the author does), I am familiar with it and the author/trainer. While I'm sure she knows far more than most "backyard" trainers, her training record isnt' real good. I'm thinking she must be living on proceeds from the sale of the book and training fees because she isn't making much in purses.

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

backyard racehorse

Postby Kristie » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:35 am

I've just recently purchased the book, but have not had time to do more than scan it a little. For those of us who are financially challenged, I'm looking for a way to get the preliminary training done and this book looks as though it's got a pretty good basis. I've already paid for 3 months of breaking and 1 month at the training track and my colt hasn't gone past jogging in the field as of yet. They tried to take him to the track to jog and he got stupid, so he's back to pasture jogging. I've spent over $4,000. and he's not even at the track?????? So I'm looking at about 4 more months at the training center at $27.00/day plus vet, farrier and various assundry charges and then another 60-90 days at the track getting the speed work at $50./day plus. So it'll be a minimum of another $8,000. and we have no idea if he'll hit the boards. I'm definitely looking for a cheaper alternative! Can't ascertain yet how good the information is, but it definitely looks like a good read. And btw, my cold DOES tend to be a little obnoxious! :D :!:

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:07 am

Kristie,

Take away the horse ASAP from whoever has your horse. They are taking your money plain and simple. E-mail so we can talk.

[email protected]

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:11 am

3 months of breaking a horse i would of fired this person on the spot

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:00 am

I have that book, it is a good read... there is some good information in it, especially about conditioning. However, there are some things that don't "travel" well, ie: the author was in Florida, had orange groves to gallop in, a pond to swim horses in, etc. We are building a nice gallop around the farm that will be about 3/4 mile long; the "outside lane" will be for race horses, the "inside lane" will have our cross country course.

Anyhow, the book was written many years ago, and is a "personal experience" book. I use some of the information. I don't use Western saddles (much prefer English, also have an Australian for the goofy 2 yr olds). I have track exercise riders who will come work some on the farm for me. I have big hills to gallop up. But when I want a real work, I can take the horse over to Churchill and work it there. We have a "do-it-yourself" training center about 11 miles away where I can get a stall for $5 a day (there are several but that is the closest one) if I want to get a horse a gate card. In the winter, there is a good conditioning farm over in Indiana that has an indoor track and is $25 a day. We are building our indoor arena this fall and will include an indoor gallop around the outside.

I break the young stuff myself (or my farmhand does, old bronc riding cowboy type) and send it wherever it is going with brakes, turnsignals applied and the buck gone. It takes us about three weeks of trail riding and just general once-a-day for about 1/2 hr a day to get a 2 yr old ready to jog and start galloping on the track. But there are some hard-case horses that take longer and are much tougher. I send those over to the cowboys near me, they charge $125 a week and when you get your horse back he Will Be Broke.

There are other books regarding these topics. But the bottom line is, if you break your baby, trail ride him/her for a month or two, can get the horse to stop, turn, jog/trot, maybe canter without propping or flipping up their butt, etc., you can condition the horse yourself pretty much anywhere, up to a point. If the horse is up to jogging two miles, you have saved a month of "training". If the horse is up to Galloping two miles, you have saved way more. We trail ride; we ride on the farm but we also trailer to big parks with big trails. I believe this is great experience for the young horse. Getting on the trailer; off the trailer; saddled, bridled, ridden; tied to the trailer; lunch is a bucket of water and a haynet. Younger stock can be trailered in too, and then ponied around the park, and put back in the trailer until it is time to go home.

Occasionally I get in 2 yr olds; we charge $600/mo to work them with ours.

Just my two cents.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:23 pm

Someone said they would fire the trainer/farm for 3 mos of breaking.

First, I think the terminology the original poster used MAY be incorrect.
Second, I would highly recommend, after the initial 2-3 weeks normally required for breaking, that the horse is then jogged and worked up to galloping (on a training track, including "in company") for a minimum of 30 days after that. We did that with our filly (at our instruction...partner is former trainer) and it did wonders for her physical and mental health. Then we turned her out for almost 90 days. She is back in training now and doing great. Then again, I am a firm believer in taking it slow with babies, to give them the best shot possible at a successful and sound racing career.

Third, IF the horse is paddock or field jogging, I would put a stop to that immediately. That is a real good way to hurt the horse, IMO. But then again, I have never heard of that kind of training for a racehorse. Usually fields are uneven and very hazardous for a horse to be jogged with "weight on its back".

Whatever may be bothering the horse that causes it to misbehave on dirt, (feet, ankles), needs to be checked out and fixed before doing anything further with the horse. If nothing physical is found, the horse needs patient working with to determine and fix the "issues" it thinks it has.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:26 pm

Correction to my post above: We jogged and galloped our filly for an additional 90 days after the initial breaking. We breezed her once, then turned her out for 90 days. She will train for 5-6 months before starting in her first race.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:47 pm

I happen to have had some conversations with the poster who mentioned the 3 months of breaking, and she has told me that her young horse did indeed have "behavioral issues" before he went to this training center. I wouldnt be too harsh on the place that has the colt now as they did receive him with some issues that while she never went into detail with me I assumed were temperament related, since she bred him, is an excellent horsewoman, and has had no other issues with her other young horses. Some horses are more hard headed and challenging than others... I have 2 three year olds that I bred and raised together, both by the same sire. The mares were neither one alpha mares but between the two of them they had enough courage for one horse, they were quite funny. The foals however are both extremely different. The mares, both maidens, were bred and conceived 12 hours apart (Fri pm and Sat am). The foals were born 5 weeks apart, Sunny was one week early and Freddy was one month late. Freddy was the size of Sunny (5 weeks his elder) when he was born, and quickly assumed the "boss mare" role of the bunch. Sunny is even tempered and laid back (probably my daughter's future pony club mount), the gallop boy would occasionally be funny and ride him back from the track sidesaddle early on in his training... I have pics of gallop boy Chris standing on him (yes STANDING on him) http://community.webshots.com/photo/153 ... 5293TiWJEv. Freddy, on the other hand..... is extremely smart but everyone is leary of him. He isnt led anywhere without a lipchain. Evan my Darlin Darren leads him with a lipchain --- and Darren handles ANYTHING with no problem. http://community.webshots.com/photo/168 ... 2767ABbzer
Freddy isn't mean or evil (well I dont think so, but some do hold that view of him lol) but he is DEFINITELY "challenging." My pregnancy and the recent rash of hurricanes (and the resultant bad weather and flooding at training center) have set him back from being at the track, however he has been ridden 40-50 times at the training center. Plans are for him to head to "remedial school" Oct 1 for 2 weeks then to the track. Well...... his line were late maturers anyway LOL.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:33 pm

Trust me people it does not take 3 months to "Break" a horse. Whoever is breaking your horses fire them immediately.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:00 pm

Ageecee,

Again, I think the word "breaking" is perhaps being used "incorrectly".

In any event, each horse and each situation is different. It doesn't sound like this person is being "duped" into keeping her horse in a "program". It sounds like the colt might need a little "turn out time" to mature or wind down. *Something* has got his head twisted. Best find out what and what to do about it before spending any more money trying to train him.

Kristie,

$27.00 a day is way cheap compared to what I pay (where I am in CA)! We pay $63 a day plus vet & farrier, etc., to get our filly ready for the big time track. $27.00 a day was "turnout" pricing. Unless you are prepared to train him yourself, looking for a bargain, (unless you get really lucky with some decent relocating trainer looking to pick up clients) you aren't likely to find anyone *good* at bargain prices. I haven't read the book you talked about, but I would certainly look to the person's level of success as a guidepost for how well what he/she says will work. I think I'd look for something that gives insight on working with troubled or "obnoxious" horses (as you say yours is).

Where are you located?

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

RE: Backyard Racehorse

Postby Kristie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:53 am

Hello everyone. I'm in Virginia and $27./day is pretty much standard for training centers. I sent my colt to be broke in mid-March and he was there until June 8. I'd hoped he'd be far enough along to go to the track at Colonial and see the sights and jog around the track once or twice and then come home. Person who had him didn't have time to take him to the track and so he just came home instead. No, I was NOT happy that he wasn't further along during that 90 days. When I went through the daily schedule, there were 35 days where nothing was done with him due to weather or help not showing up or the trainer shipping other horses to Charlestown to race. He is, however, well broken. Brought him home and threw him out to pasture for 2 1/2 months to grow up a little more. He's a June baby, a little growthy and definitely not mentally mature yet. And though not mean, he is definitely a brat. He tests every day to see who's in charge. I had figured since he was already well-broken, that he would progress faster at the training center. He was well-behaved the day I went to see him last week, but understand he was obnoxios the day before and had a spanking. The day I was there, rider whacked him once and he shaped up. I'm chewing my fingernails at the slow progress, but don't know if my expectations were unrealistic as I've never done this before. But if it generally takes this long, sure don't know how they get these 2yearolds in training ready for the sales. Must start with them when they're 6 months old! :D If they can ever get him focused, I think he'll be a good one. Everyone who's seen him has liked him. I'm definitely open to any and all advice. Kristie

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:13 pm

Kristie,

Two things immediately come to mind: is he still a colt? That wanting to test you stuff usually gets much worse. Have you considered gelding him?

Did the training center keep you in the loop on the 35 day vacation? I'm thinking that they are taking your money ($27/day is cheap, by the way) but training your horse is taking a back seat. Your guy can't make any progress if they aren't working with him.

Good luck!

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:34 pm

Kristie,

From your posts I am under the impression that you are intending to race him yourself. If that is the case, you want to take it slow and give him every chance to be fit and know & like what he is doing. If you were just going to sell him, then they would be mostly concentrating on getting him looking fit and sassy for the sale. But training him to race, you want an animal that is fit and sound and willing. That, unfortunately takes more time & patience and money. You might consider taking on a lesser partner, to defray the costs but someone who would have little or no say in the decision making. I also take it you CARE about his longterm future.

What is is name & breeding?

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:03 pm

The little sucker came "out of the chute" needing to be gelded! :lol: and yes, he no longer has his kahunas. He's by Mighty Forum out of Unbrake my Heart by L'il Fappi. Personalitywise, he takes after his Mother who if you gave her an inch would just walk all over you. Other than the fact that they're both very strongwilled, they're also very affectionate. Before I sent him to the training farm, he would run up to me for a scratch and a pet before he went to eat his grain. (Now when I go see him, if he's in the pasture he doesn't even lift his head when I call his name. How quickly they forget!) The 35 days "off" were not consecutive, it was a couple days here, 3 days there, a day here a day there, but over the course of 3 months, he was still off 35 days. I didn't send him back to that person because she had so much going on I didn't feel he was getting the attention he needed. Yes, I intend to race him myself, so long as the funds hold out. If he ever gets the idea, I think he'll really enjoy his occupation. He needs to be entertained. Don't know how fast he'll be, but he's very athletic and has the potential to be an excellent 3 day event horse if he doesn't hit the boards. Yes, I care very much about his longevity. Hope he has a long and useful career and comes home to be a pasture pet when all's said and done. I'd rather not take on a partner if I don't have to, but the thought has crossed my mind. If he doesn't have any major setbacks and have to be laid off and brought back, I should be o.k. I'm hoping he can start by late April, early May and with any luck at all, race at Colonial Downs in June. All fingers, toes and eyes crossed. Kristie