Bad news for me...

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Indychase
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Indychase » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:10 pm

Flintridge:

www.flintridgeridingclub.org

Couldn't find website for Arroyo Seco or Eaton Canyon (do they still have a stable there?).

Los Angeles Equestrian Center:

la-equestriancenter.com

I grew up in Arcadia. CalTech is a very cool place. "Real Genius" w/ Val Kilmer was filmed there (probably dating myself). I lived in Pasadena on Calif. Blvd. near Lake for a while before I moved to Nor Cal. It's a great area. Congratualations!

Nerd
Allowance Winner

Postby Nerd » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:49 pm

So how was prefrosh weekend? Was the sun shining? Did they have that ridiculous fireworks show? Was the t-shirt lame? Did you go on a tunnel tour? Did they do that demo in physics class where the ring hits the ceiling? :lol: :lol: :lol:

RuffianT21
Allowance Winner

Postby RuffianT21 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Just got back yesterday from pre-frosh weekend; it was awesome!!! Weather was nice, although to a Chicago native, most anything's nice! Yes there were fireworks, although I'm not a big fan of loud noises. The t-shirts were ridiculously lame! You had to write your hometown, area of academic interest, favorite color, and what you do for fun on it, which made it the type of shirt you can't really wear anywhere without getting odd looks.

I definitely went on a tunnel tour!!! It was one of the best parts of the whole weekend! We went in a smaller group with one of my new friends' host, so we got a more involved tour that also involved roofs. :D

I never made it to a physics class; the two I went to were a robotics class and a planetary science class. I tried to go to a chaos theory class, but the class never showed up, so it was just a room filled with pre-frosh. Someone had a laptop, though, so one guy just went to wikipedia and looked up chaos theory and lectured us off that, which was pretty funny.

In all, I really loved it. I'm quite aware that the academics will kick the s*** out of me, but I think it's worth it. I am very stubborn and not afraid of hard work, so I think I'll survive. Plus, it'll keep my ego low, being surrounded by people that brilliant.

Nerd- I'll be PM-ing you with more questions/opinions/etc quite soon!

JimbleBrimble
Starters Handicap

Postby JimbleBrimble » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:04 am

Ruffian,

It feels a tad too late to inspire you this way, but I think you should (be reminded) that the specifics of "your college choices" matter the most only beFORE you have any of the other small details, wonderful friends, and specifics that fill up your days and eventually your college years.

If you are remotely able to study in a field which suits you then the specifics of college choices and preferences are secondary to the randomness which chooses an effective and suitable path for you.

Of course you can't anticipate just exactly who will fill the role of that ever-lasting friendship you'll forge during sophomore or junior year at whatevercollegeyougoto, until that time arrives. It really doesn't mean as much as high school seniors like to THINK it means when they don't get into their top preference.

It remains a great combination to have a love for horses while also being well-suited to math and statistics at the same time.

Now you get the fun of arranging your life and mind for the idea of southern California weather and close proximity to Santa Anita, etc.

It's kind of like a romance... where you sit back and dream or anticipate random specifics unTIL someone shows up in your life with his/her own random distribution of specifics. Then you just allow your mind to start admiring his "specific randomness".

You'll do fine in school, and I hope you get your horse situation worked out. It would be great if you could find a private family to lease the horse to, perhaps for a teen girl early in her high school years.

Good luck!

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:47 pm

I used to think when I was a kid that if I went to a famous university I would be famous (don't ask me why I wanted to be famous - I've no idea). I never let go of that dream and somehow by the skin of my teeth got into Cambridge University in England.

That's a long time ago and I find that occasionally people are impressed by the 'Ivy League' or British equivalent, but more often than not they don't care - they care about you, your character, the way you approach your job, your ability to think critically, and to be open minded and adaptable to the continuing changes that technology tends to force on many areas of employment.

CalTech is a great school and the sting of not getting in to Princeton will be forgotten in the long run.

Although acquiring a university education is time consuming and it's true you may not have as much time for your horse as you would want, simply grooming and being around a horse can help relieve much of the stress that builds up during the academic year. Having a horse can help you stop and smell the roses in a sense. So I'm hoping you will find a place to board and at least be able to hold on to a half lease on your horse. I do realize that a great deal depends on what he needs by way of exercise as well as what you need. But try to keep some level of access to him if you can. A lot of students (particularly in the sciences, computer science and engineering) don't realise that if one goes and does something different for a while, a difficult idea, concept or problem can be solved in the back of your mind while you are loving and brushing your horse.

I teach at a university which is fairly stressful and obviously some of the environmental aspects in terms of a campus life are similar to what you may experience although the tasks of professor vs. student are a little different. Nevertheless I think that it's worth pointing out that I have a retired racehorse, and yes I don't spend as much time with him as I would wish (although that has partly been weather related this year). However, I do think that he has been a real godsend in terms of keeping me fit and helping me focus at least a little of my attention away from campus life, which can be all consuming.

Whatever you decide - the very best of luck to you in your educational endeavors.

BELLARINA
2yo Maiden

Postby BELLARINA » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:05 pm

Check out this school....I promise you will get further in the horse world!
AND ITS FREE
http://www.darleyflyingstart.com/