Back to Pedigree Query
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Dang.... twins
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:55 pm 
Offline
Grade II Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:53 am
Posts: 1286
As an identical twin myself, it pains me that horses are not good twinners.

That said, my mare has just been prounouced in foal at 35 days with two viable conceptus/embryos. At day 18 one appeared to be regressing and was much smaller. Apparently it has been playing catch up and I am now in the horrible position of deciding what to do.

I was given two options by the vet:
1. Terminate both with shots of Lutelize (sp?)
2. A more expensive process ... we could haul the mare down to specialist in KY to inject one of them, but no promises both won't go.

I had really hoped that they would resolve themselves, as they are so close. In reality, I know that I have no choice and will probably go with the first choice. When I even merely suggested keeping both I got such an earful that I can't consider it.

THOUGHTS?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:10 pm 
Offline
Allowance Winner
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 376
Location: Argyle, TX
Sometimes a vet can squeeze one off manually. It may be worth a try before you abort both!

Good Luck!

Chuck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:12 pm 
Offline
Allowance Winner

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:21 pm
Posts: 408
Sorry to hear about the twins. A good repro vet should be able to pinch one and give a good chance for survival for the other. However, sometimes you lose the one not pinched as well. Twin pregnancies rarely result in two viable foals, I would not risk it. Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes.

_________________
~Dare to Dream~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:58 pm 
Offline
Grade II Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:53 am
Posts: 1286
i have been led to believe that i'm too late for a simple "pinch"... we were considering that at 18 days but they were so close and the one looked like a goner then.

35 days ... can we pinch?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:01 pm 
Offline
Chef de Race: Brilliant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:51 am
Posts: 3754
Location: Here and there
cewright wrote:
Sometimes a vet can squeeze one off manually. It may be worth a try before you abort both!

Good Luck!

Chuck


I second that. I hate the idea of it, but Take your pick and squeeze the other one.. Hope you don't "do" the stake winner..lol bad taste sorry.

_________________
Proverbs 31:8
"...stand up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all those who are destitute.."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QawYXs2e ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIASWv9GYC8


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:43 am 
Offline
Allowance Winner

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:05 pm
Posts: 497
Location: Zambezi
It is definitely too late for pinching. We breed a lot of mares and have ended up with twins like this on occasion. What we do, tho we usually start much earlier than 35 days, is essentially "starve" the mare for 10 days, or more if needed. Take off all grain and grass, put in a dry lot or stall, and just feed grass hay. Take the super nutrition away, and often times the mare will resorb the twin on its own. We've never had it not work, but then again we've never waited as long as 35 days. Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:56 am 
Offline
Allowance Winner

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:21 pm
Posts: 408
I agree with fireslam, pinching is usually done between 20 and 25 days (if memory serves me correctly), and even then you may lose both.

_________________
~Dare to Dream~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:59 am 
Offline
Grade III Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:03 am
Posts: 1143
Location: Livonia, Michigan
not that I agree with this... but 2 of my good friends will NOT pinch them.
They both said the mare will take care of it.
both mares they did this to did produce 1 healthy foal the next year.
It might just be luck.....

_________________
Perfect Circle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:05 pm 
Offline
Grade II Winner

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:14 am
Posts: 1277
You do not want to leave it up to dumb luck by taking a wait and see attitude. Its too freaking dangerous and potentially heartbreaking for anyone with a conscience to consider. I can't tell you which of the two options makes the most sense but you definitely need to choose one of them quickly.
I am sorry your mare didn't take it into her own hands. Best of luck no matter what you decide.

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/pages/McDowell- ... 9840138971


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:52 pm 
Offline
Allowance Winner

Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:12 am
Posts: 495
Laurierace wrote:
You do not want to leave it up to dumb luck by taking a wait and see attitude. Its too freaking dangerous and potentially heartbreaking for anyone with a conscience to consider. I can't tell you which of the two options makes the most sense but you definitely need to choose one of them quickly.
I am sorry your mare didn't take it into her own hands. Best of luck no matter what you decide.


A big factor to consider is who is she in foal to?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:13 pm 
Offline
Grade II Winner

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:23 am
Posts: 1473
Location: Ontario, Canada
I would go with option 2 as it is too late to pinch. Because it is so late in the season you will very likely NOT get her covered again if you decide to abort the twins. If however, you go with option 2, you at least have the chance of keeping one viable fetus. If the procedure fails to get rid of one of the twins, then you can still abort both. Best of luck!

_________________
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:27 pm 
Offline
Grade II Winner

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:14 am
Posts: 1277
Hold Your Peace wrote:
Laurierace wrote:
You do not want to leave it up to dumb luck by taking a wait and see attitude. Its too freaking dangerous and potentially heartbreaking for anyone with a conscience to consider. I can't tell you which of the two options makes the most sense but you definitely need to choose one of them quickly.
I am sorry your mare didn't take it into her own hands. Best of luck no matter what you decide.


A big factor to consider is who is she in foal to?


What difference would that possibly make when you have two dead foals and a critical mare?

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/pages/McDowell- ... 9840138971


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:17 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:53 pm
Posts: 9513
Location: Louisville, KY
If it was my mare, I think the lutelyse would make the most sense. Too bad it wasn't caught earlier.

_________________
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:15 pm 
Offline
Allowance Winner

Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:12 am
Posts: 495
Laurierace wrote:
Hold Your Peace wrote:
Laurierace wrote:
You do not want to leave it up to dumb luck by taking a wait and see attitude. Its too freaking dangerous and potentially heartbreaking for anyone with a conscience to consider. I can't tell you which of the two options makes the most sense but you definitely need to choose one of them quickly.
I am sorry your mare didn't take it into her own hands. Best of luck no matter what you decide.


A big factor to consider is who is she in foal to?


What difference would that possibly make when you have two dead foals and a critical mare?


The original poster said:

I was given two options by the vet:
1. Terminate both with shots of Lutelize (sp?)
2. A more expensive process ... we could haul the mare down to specialist in KY to inject one of them, but no promises both won't go.

xxx

I would think before they decide to go with the more expensive option (#2) that they might think twice on that one if the mare is in foal to a cheap stallion.

The original poster never said they were considering letting the mare keep the twins resulting in the possibility of two dead foals and a critical mare.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:31 am 
Offline
Grade II Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:53 am
Posts: 1286
The mare is in foal to Star Dabbler on a late May cover and I've made the decision to terminate the pregnancy and start over early next year. I appreciate everyone's thoughtful opinions.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group