General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Okay, who pissed off mother nature?

Postby Sam » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:49 pm

4 hurricanes in Florida.

Mt. St. Helen's getting cranky.

6.0 earthquake followed by a flurry of about 100 others shakers in the 2.0 to 5.0 range in just under 6 hours in California http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsUS/ ... 5_eqs.html

Something is NOT happy. I'm getting the distinct impression this planet has a REALLY bad cold. (Hurricanes are sneezes, earthquakes are coughing ... volcanos are that ick you cough up and spit out)

Lei Owen
Allowance Winner

Postby Lei Owen » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:07 pm

Yeah, and here in the Ozark's where the fall foilage is a great tourist draw, "They're" saying we're going from green directly to dead by passing the gold's and red's. :(
Laissez les bon temps rouller!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:34 pm

California is explainable.......Dodgers still in first place....our terra firma is just showing it's shock :wink:

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:39 pm

I happened to be on the phone with the trainer at a farm in Creston (next to Paso Robles) when the earthquake struck. She exclaimed "crap" when she felt it hit, and after a few seconds to check around her to make sure all was fine in the training barn, we continued talking about my horses. An aftershock then hit but she didn't miss a beat in our conversation.

When you live in California, especially the southern part, its easy to become blase about these shake rattle and rolls.

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:59 pm

Actually had a conversation and said the same thing this afternoon, really ODD weather and occurances the nations been having. :(

Seems as though mother nature is out of sorts...

Michael- Creston (would that be Creston Farms?). I have a gelding by Falstaff (not sure if he's still standing there) that's a fabulous horse, Classic Attire. He's a bit tempermental and could rocket you off when something doesn't set right, but wonderful when he behaves! He ran primarily here on the East coast (I've had him 5 yrs. now).

jL
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jL » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:02 pm

Marli wrote:He's a bit tempermental and could rocket you off when something doesn't set right, but wonderful when he behaves!

Hehe. I bet we all have stories similar to this. :D

Sam

Postby Sam » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:33 pm

Diane wrote:California is explainable.......Dodgers still in first place....our terra firma is just showing it's shock :wink:

Angels still gasping for breath too. All the CA teams are still sort of in it, though the Padres are just about done.

Just wish my Yankees hadn't been rained out AGAIN!

Sam

Postby Sam » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:37 pm

Michael wrote:When you live in California, especially the southern part, its easy to become blase about these shake rattle and rolls.

Tell me about it. I used to joke with my out of state friends that REAL Californians don't even think about looking for cover until they hit the 5.5 range, anything less is a fat man falling down a flight of stairs.

I was on the phone once with a buddy of mine, a few years ago. I was in Fremont, he was in San Jose (about an hour apart). I got this "Whoa, earthquake". Thought he was watching the news and said "Yeah, good sized one this morning". "No, NOW" and just as he said 'now' I started shaking. Twas very cool :)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:14 pm

I was in Bogota working in 1995 when it got a 6.2 'quake; the scariest thing I ever felt. I lived on a sailboat for ten years and not even sailing alone for 4 days in a hurricane could terrorize me as much as that earthquake. Plus, had never had any kind of motion sickness before in my life, and the 'quake made me queasy... of course it could be that it was day four with no sleep....

wymanda
2yo Maiden

Postby wymanda » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:51 pm

Perhaps the Good Lord doesn't like George W & his politics?????

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:05 pm

Actually, He's probably giving us a sneak preview of the world if John W. Kennedy-Kerry becomes Pres.

Sandi in Florida
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Sandi in Florida » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:07 pm

OK, as a hurricane survivor, I have to chime in here. I saw a special on the Discover chanel about how we have ruined our environment and now the environment is correcting itself with all these strange weather happenings. The source of the trouble is simple overpopulation--too many people driving too many cars. Why can't we stop breeding like rabbits? Can't anyone see there are enough people in the world already? Sorry if I offend anyone, but I'm tired and punchy after getting slammed by Jeanne over the weekend--I have no power, no water, no CABLE TV, and I'm at my Mother's house for the evening, which is enough to make anyone want to KILL. Just kidding (sort of)--Mom has power and water, so at least I got a hot shower finally and tonight I'll get some sleep, I hope. My whole neighborhood is full of noisy generators and it sounds like I'm living at the fair.

For those of you wondering--the horses and dogs are fine--the house is OK--the yard and pasture are flooded and it looks like a bomb went off--it will be months before I get it all cleaned up and the thought of it just makes me sick. I was just getting my property and house fixed up the way I wanted it after sweating and toiling for the last 6 months, and now THIS. I am glad I moved there though--I went by the house on the beach I sold last year and it was completely demolished. I guess things could be worse, but it still seems pretty bad. I'll probably feel better in a few days.
you give, you get
love and protect
and good will always follow you
--Yellowman

Sam

Postby Sam » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:26 pm

Sandi in Florida wrote:The source of the trouble is simple overpopulation--too many people driving too many cars. Why can't we stop breeding like rabbits? Can't anyone see there are enough people in the world already?

Two reasons:

Religions that teach birth control is a sin.

Under-educated, poor people.

The better educated you are, the less likely you are to have more than what is refered to as "replacement births". IOW, only enough children to replace yourself. Check the birth rates of underdeveloped third world countries ... a lot of them are more than 3 times that of the western countries like the US and Canada.

camohn
Starters Handicap

Postby camohn » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:59 am

I know I'm really sick of the barn flooding. Just unhooked the sump pump and have to go clean bedding out of 14 flooded stalls now. ICK. Just to add to the overflowing gutters due to sheer rain volume our township re-did our road this year and changed the pitch of it so it now heads directly for our barn :evil: . We have to get a load of dirt dumped to build us a "berm" to aim it somewhere else/ towards the drain. (Our barn sits 15 to 20 feet off the road.)

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Road runnoff by the town

Postby chiggins6 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:04 am

Camohn, that doesn't seem right. Doesn't the town engineering have to make sure they drain away from private property? If that were legal, hell, they could dump the runnoff from any road right onto anyone's property! Hell! What if you had a hay field! A corn Field! What if the TOWN WIPED OUT YOUR WHOLE CROP!

I know, I'm getting carried away, but you get my point. I just don't think a town is allowed to do that, and you may have a case to get them to fix it.

Anyone else have thoughts on this??
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!