Valid Belfast

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Valid Belfast

Postby TomFool » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:28 pm

I have before & was just looking over his pedigree. I had a son of Valid Appeal in mind for one mare I have but am not going to spend $17,500 for Valid Expectations or 20k+ for Successful Appeal at this point with her. VB at first glance looks not to be a bad horse at all, had plenty of speed himself & comes from a very sound hard knocking family. I know there are a few from La in here that may know a bit more about him & others are welcome to add their thoughts.

bcassidy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby bcassidy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:23 pm

If you are looking for a nice stallion in La, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Ide.
best regards Brendan

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm

Valid Belfast won 10 stakes races in 4 years. Hes standing in Louisiana for cheap i believe. Dont know the price but i dont think its over 2K. His first foals are yearlings of 2004. VB has 2 yearlings in the Shreveport sale Oct 4th.

Have a buddy whose booked to Vaild Expectations this year-2005 with an End Sweep Mare

Scott
2yo Maiden

Postby Scott » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:12 am

TomFool - I visited Valid Belfast in the breeding year of 2003. He is a fine boned animal of 16 hands. He does not have the back at the knee that many valid appeals are known for. He did retire from racing with an injured knee after 46 career startswith earnings of $358,000.

He was purchased for $60,000 as a yearling - bred by Harry Mangurian Jr in Florida. He won one stakes race - the Crescent S. @ Lone star Park as a five year old by 7 3/4 lengths. He earned a Ragozin # of 2 3/4 - with a time of 1:16.95 for 6.5 f. The typical winning time of a Grade 1 stakes earns a Ragozin of -1 to 1, and a Grade 2 stakes typical Ragozin figure is a 2 to 5, so comparitively, he did present blazing speed.
He tried graded stakes company once, finishing 4th in the Gr 3 Aristides H.

He received large books his first two years of 80 mares/year. The Jockey club reports only 53 - 55 % live foals from these books, a low figure and something to consider before sending your mare for breeding. My mare was bred in '03. She stayed at the farm for 3 months before she settled. She was a maiden mare.

I also like the female lineage of Valid Belfast. Kiradashi, a successful Canadian stallion, shares the tail female branch of Sharp Sherry. One of the reasons I chose to breed to Valid Belfast was to line breed to Selari/ Golden Sari with my mare. His dam, Belfast Becky, was bred to Giants Causeway in 2003 according to the farm manager Thibodeaux, but I don't know what she foaled. Thatsusingtheoldbean, a half brother of VB, was sent to Mexico for stallion duty.

I saw a couple of foals of 2003 when I was at the farm, and the ones I saw were correct. I prefer fine bone as opposed to overly large bone. Fine boned does not mean weak boned - usually the matrix is not as porous as large bones, and can have more strength. I have had both types, and from x-ray comparison I found my fine bone to deposit and build bone in the cannons at a faster rate during initial training gallops.

LSU has an auction for breeding seasons, and VB has been one of the sires. But it is a non guaranteed season. I believe you can breed for $1,000. If your mare matches, I would say this could be a good shot for a racehorse. By the way - what is the name of your mareyou are considering breeding to VB?

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Valid Belfast

Postby TomFool » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:35 pm

Thanks Scott for all that info on Valid Belfast. It is much appericated. The mare I was looking at with him is named Making Good. She is a 3x3 Bold Ruler. She could run a little or more than it may look first hand. She broke her madien first out at Lone Star for a tag ($12,500) as a 3 year old but ran pretty well winning easy in 11 & change & recieving an 89 beyer speed figure. A minor accident at the barn ended her racing career as I was told. I really thought hard about breeding her to now deceased Kipper Kelly last year but I skipped breeding her in 03 & to keep her Slew the Surgeon filly an Arky bred (not a big deal but) I had to breed her back to an Arkansas stallion this year. She gets in foal or has to this point very easy which is always a major plus. I will most def check him out this next breeding season & take a look at his 2 yearlings look like this Mon at the La sale.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:47 pm

Let me know of VB yearlings Tom Fool. Im not going but my buddy is-they might buy 1-2 out of the sale.