PedigreeQuery Is Not Keeping Up to Date

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi

I got an email from Miles the other day requesting the updated conduit mare lists. I sent them along, and I am confident Miles will take care of this problem soon.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Bill from WA wrote:Hi

I got an email from Miles the other day requesting the updated conduit mare lists. I sent them along, and I am confident Miles will take care of this problem soon.

Bill

Bill, great news! Hope you are going to be doing something fun in your retirement.

Tabasco Cat
Newborn

Postby Tabasco Cat » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 pm

When I look up our filly it only shows the races she ran through April 2008 - none of the races or earnings from the rest of the year show up.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:35 pm

Tabasco Cat wrote:When I look up our filly it only shows the races she ran through April 2008 - none of the races or earnings from the rest of the year show up.

Horses only get updated when & if a user updates them. You should be able to update your filly's record whevever you want, unless she's been locked for some reason.

If that's the case, please PM me, and I'll take care of it. :)

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:21 am

Lucy wrote:
Tabasco Cat wrote:When I look up our filly it only shows the races she ran through April 2008 - none of the races or earnings from the rest of the year show up.

Horses only get updated when & if a user updates them. You should be able to update your filly's record whevever you want, unless she's been locked for some reason.

If that's the case, please PM me, and I'll take care of it. :)

Does that mean that on the "progeny" page, the only earnings that are listed after each name is there only if a user updates the individual horse?

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:28 am

docjocoy wrote:Does that mean that on the "progeny" page, the only earnings that are listed after each name is there only if a user updates the individual horse?

Exactly. This site is not affiliated with or connected to the Jockey Club, Equibase or BRIS, so it depends on users to enter accurate info.

Some stallions are lucky enough to have people tracking their progeny, and thus their lists stay current. Others, not so much.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:29 pm

This is a suggestion for how the site might work/sort data in the future after the upgrade.

Would it be possible to list the results from a "progeny" query for a given mare in Year of Birth order? At least 50% of the time I end up re-sorting that particular query response b/c I think it can be helpful to see at a glance if a mare's had a 1-hit wonder right off the bat and then no runners of importance after that, or if she's a fairly consistent producer of solid runners with some BT offspring in the mix. Sure you can get there by doing the sort but if it's not too much trouble getting the query response listing from oldest to most recent would be helpful - especially when evaluating a goodly number of mares. It also allows you spot the duplicate inputs quite easily.

UmmYeah
Starters Handicap

Postby UmmYeah » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi jellac. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this site *does* allow that. You just pick your mare, view the progeny, then click Year, and it sorts. Here's what that looks like for Somethingroyal: http://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php?query_type=progeny&search_bar=progeny&h=SOMETHINGROYAL&sort=Year&done=y&filter=All%20Horses&cf=

Is that what you mean?

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:43 pm

jellac wants that as the default search sort. Myself, I don't see that clicking the year column is a big effort. :?: Or do we not get it?
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:33 am

If the site is being revamped some form of "spell check" would be a welcome addition to the forum.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:24 am

Toccet & UmmYeah -

I do get it - but I find when I am researching several generations of a mare/female side of a pedigree that it introduces several extra 'clicks' to delve through multiple generations of dams and the same when you're "in reverse" mode backing out of a multiple generation/dam pedigree search and reviewing the data - not to mention the number of extra clicks when you do this sort of exercise for several mares in one sitting.

It's not that I'm unawares or unable to do the extra click to get the progeny data in 'date order' - I just thought that as long as there is an overall updating/improvement of the database in the offing that setting up date order as a default - so progeny would always appear in date order without having to do that extra click - might be a nice "plus" to have 'added in' at the same time and one that shouldn't introduce any 'bugs' or issues into the 'improved' database's use. Just suggesting at one small way to make the db easier to use/more user friendly format, that's all. :wink:

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:50 pm

While I see your point Jellac, there may be just as many folks who prefer the alphabetical default....or even some who would prefer it sorted by earnings.

Perhaps a better solution would be to give users the ability to set personal 'sort by' preferences, rather than changing the defaults for everyone. :)

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:05 am

Lucy wrote:
KBEquine wrote:The one thing I get here & always want to see - Female Family numbers.

Those are already in place, but only subscribers can see them. :)

Yep - that's why I pay. On a similar note - today I was looking for broodmare sire information.

Is there a report for that, that I just haven't found, yet, and if not, is therer a way to create one? That would be helpful, too.

Gallop58
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Gallop58 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:42 am

Perhaps a dumb suggestion, but a quick link to buy the JC official info might be an interesting option..... Thorny issue I assume, but seems like a logical feature. Would be beneficial for everyone I would think.

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:19 pm

just my two cents worth.....if you dont listen to your customers....someone else will...and thats where they will go. :idea:
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real