PedigreeQuery Is Not Keeping Up to Date

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Well it IS possible for a database to span multiple volumes in a server and for a volume (disk) to fail. This is why critical applications are typically mirrored, so the failing volume can be replaced, after system notification has occurred, and the failure is not noticed. The mirrored volume assumes "hot" operation until the failed unit is replaced. Further, if the application explodes to a size beyond its server capacity, it is possible to extend it using NFS across volumes in another server on the network. I have worked on DOZENS of installations where the database application spanned multiple volumes AND multiple servers. One of the advantages of the old IBM SP was the clustered multiprocessor feature, where multiple AIX servers could be harnessed together to work as one unit for super power and essentially break the disk barriers for filesystems and file sizes. So I DISAGREE that a database cannot be stored on multiple servers.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:49 pm

The generalization that it was a "server" problem is unsubstantiated. The fact that only some of the data was missing supports the fact it is database related.

I highly doubt this site invested in any kind of modern database technology including mirroring so there was no point in mentioning that. Production systems in business live on a single instance, however, as you mentioned, there can be synchronous mirroring on backup servers in addition to a disaster recovery site. If it's too much of a strain, there can be asynchronous transfer.

And yes, I remember having IBM out 15 years ago to pull out a single hard drive that had failed and not losing any data.

The bottom line is this problem still exists and I'm just glad I did not waste too much of my time updating my mare and her family..... although I don't know when I'll update it again.

And I've worked on dozens of implementations, designed databases and I am a published technical writer on databases. Microsoft even paid me to write papers for them.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:15 pm

I got a note today that the techie guys have made some changes already, but there are still some important things currrently being worked on. They are also looking into an issue with the delete function. I don't know details but I at least wanted to let everyone know that these issues have not been forgotten!
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

reenci
Grade II Winner

Postby reenci » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:10 pm

docjocoy wrote:Something not good is happening to this website. We subscribers pay good money to have this site work, and it is not working efficiently. There is no point to pay for information that is lost, locked, or tampered with.

well said...ive been quiet over this issue...better be corrected.
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 pm

Maybe they've taken it down now to update it?

JDufort
Suckling

Postby JDufort » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:11 am

Just wondering if anything can be done to remedy the fact that the X factor is not working, and we have big trouble doing more than a 5-gen pedigree with hypo mating. And yes, we are members and logged in. X factor hasn't worked for a good long while. We've tried adjusting the cookie and safety settings on the computer, nothing seems to be working.....Don't really want to pay good money for a program that doesn't allow us to use all of the features

Thanks,

Johanna

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:57 am

I have passed this info. along to the techies...

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:44 pm

JDufort wrote:Just wondering if anything can be done to remedy the fact that the X factor is not working, and we have big trouble doing more than a 5-gen pedigree with hypo mating. And yes, we are members and logged in. X factor hasn't worked for a good long while. We've tried adjusting the cookie and safety settings on the computer, nothing seems to be working.....Don't really want to pay good money for a program that doesn't allow us to use all of the features

Thanks,

Johanna

The technical support people have asked for a specific example on the x-factor not working... A list of a few names would help out if you can provide it. Thank you!

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:40 am

One thing I've noticed is that if I try to pull up a pedigree showing x-factor lines for a name that's unique in the db (Rachel Alexandra for example) it doesn't happen, just goes back to the default page. But if I try to do the same thing with a name that has multiple entries (Zenyatta, for example) it brings up the three choices and clicking on any of them will bring up a pedigree showing any x-factor lines.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:26 pm

Now I can't get female family numbers - it tells me there's an error.

This was the one service I always thought you could get here, but nowhere else.

Now that's not working.

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm seeing both the X-Factor and the multi-gen hypo matings just fine - anyone else still having issues?

Horses need to be marked as X-factor carriers for it to show up in the database. I'm able to do that; if the issue is that a mare (or mares) simply isn't marked as a carrier, that's an easy fix. Again, names would help if you still have them. :)

I'm also getting an error message re: female family #'s.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:03 pm

Just double-checked & the female family numbers are still not working for me, either.

(Just adding info.)

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:27 pm

Technical support just finished updating the female family information. That, as well as the X-factor, should be working fine now.

If anyone is still having problems with these things, please post examples (names) to be forwarded to the technical support staff.

Thanks!

BookieBuster
Maiden Special Weight

Postby BookieBuster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:51 am

I can't add new horses to the database. I keep getting an error "No such file or directory."

Is this being looked into also? I have a lot of horses I'd really love to add.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:34 am

BookieBuster wrote:I can't add new horses to the database. I keep getting an error "No such file or directory."

Is this being looked into also? I have a lot of horses I'd really love to add.

It's a known glitch. Please post any names that give that error msg. in the Technical Library forum sticky thread Names that cannot be added to the database, and they'll be added.