Horses and earthquakes

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

ballymoss
Yearling

Horses and earthquakes

Postby ballymoss » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:44 pm

Caleefornya (Ah-nold is the guv there) has had quite a few recent earthquakes.

Do horses have any extra-sensory perception in relation to quakes, i.e., can they sense them before humans? Some animals have that gift; just wondered if horses fell into that category.

jL
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jL » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:48 pm

This isn't related to earthquakes but I have always heard horses can sense a drop in atmospheric pressure, like is seen right before a tornado hits and they will lie down in a field in preperation. I have never witnessed this myself, however.

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

Postby mini's mom » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:45 pm

I thought that it had something to do with the way that the horse senses the vibrations of the earth through its feet - and they can sense the change in barometric pressure as with a looming thunderstorm - not sure on that foot one - might be an old wives tale or something

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:54 pm

As I posted on an earlier thread, I happened to be on the phone with someone who was near the quake's epicenter a few days ago. After it was over, I asked her if any of the horses or other animals had signaled the oncoming quake. She hadn't heard anything unusual in the barn.

When I was a kid, we weren't too far from the 1971 big quake that brought down freeways and hospitals. I had just started feeding the horses, and noticed that all of them were stone cold frozen right before it hit. Don't know if they felt something or what, but I'll never forget it.

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:34 pm

mini's mom wrote:I thought that it had something to do with the way that the horse senses the vibrations of the earth through its feet

FOOT MASSAGE!!

:lol: Okay, only Californians are going to get that.