Interesting twist in the TB Times article re: Lone Star

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Pie™
2yo Maiden

Interesting twist in the TB Times article re: Lone Star

Postby Pie™ » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:32 am

did anyone else happen to catch the article in this weeks TB times?? An interesting twist on the Breeders Cup races at Lone Star and how that might play out to the public - the fact that within 20 & 40 miles of Lone Star are two operating Slaughter Facilities

Any thoughts on how much air time/play this might get come race day and how it might affect the slaughter issue and the general publics view of racing -at least - if nothing else - on that day? Will it get the exposure?

bcassidy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby bcassidy » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:02 am

I don't think you tarnish our brightest day with reports about horse slaughter. I hope it isn't covered at all. Why do you think it would be a good idea to cover this story around the breeders cup event? I don't know the percentage of horses being slaughtered which would be ex race horses, but I think it would be much more effective to cover an adoption story or a second career story for a race horse. I am a big believer in finding a solution to a problem. I think that would be a much more effective route than focusing on the slaughter industry. Why do you think this issue should be entirely rest on the race horse industry? Maybe I don't have enough facts.
best regards Brendan

Pie™
2yo Maiden

Postby Pie™ » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:20 am

Hey Brendan

I'm not slanting this thing one way or the other - I'm saying - there was an article in the TB times that did - what do I think - I think it was an interesting twist - one that I wasn't aware of - one that I think - maybe, the "papparazzi" might pick up on and play - but I have no idea. Will they play on the "rescue/adoption" side of the slaughter industry - I doubt it - human nature says that probably won't happen - if it is something that gets promoted on Breeders cup day - it will be because, as the article stated, possibly there will be protesters outside Lone Star - who want to bring it to the publics attention on this "biggest day".

I've got to head out to the barn where I have that issue of the Times, I'll get it so I can quote from the article.

Pie™
2yo Maiden

Postby Pie™ » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:38 am

Okay, the title of the article, under Guest Commentary in the 9/25 TB Times, by Bill Heller is "Slaughter will be exposed in Texas" Proximity of two slaughterhouses to the track hosting Racing's championship day probably will get national attention

"Horse racing's dirty little secret is about to be revealed. On October 30, the Breeders Cup World Championships will be held at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, Texas, and either through demonstrations by animal activists or enterprising journalists, everyone in the country will learn that Thoroughbred racing's championship day is being conducted in the backyard of two foreign owned slaughterhouses that inhumanely butcher American horses, including Thoroughbreds, for human consumption overseas."

It goes on. My thoughts are "what were we thinking???"
With the recent rescue of so many TB's in the news - and in this very issue, " (page 1, continued on page 8) "Birdstones half brother saved from Slaughter" - didn't anyone think of this and that it might come up?

Like TB racing needs any more bad publicity - no matter how indirectly it can be claimed to be a TB issue.

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Texas slaughterhouses

Postby henthorn » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:48 pm

I read the article and felt Mr. Heller was bringing it up for his own reasons, and might even "slip" the information to some "enterprising journalists" to make sure the story would get some play. In my opinion, the fact slaughterhouses are present in North Texas has nothing to do with whether Breeders Cup and Lone Star Park (and the town of Grand Prairie) jointly produce the grandest racing date of the year. Obviously, no paid advertisements will be sold regarding this problem during the broadcast.

Stellaspeed
2yo Maiden

Lone Star Park and slaughter issue

Postby Stellaspeed » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:26 pm

First of all, people should stop their indignant sniffing at the "rescue crowd ruining " the day. The management at LSP has very courageously donated space to promote all of the positive steps the Thoroughbred Industry is taking to address the unnecessary slaughter of horses.
In direct contrast to the Quarter Horse Industry, which is so closely allied with cattlemen, meat packers, Wyeth/Ft Dodge, the Thoroughbred industry is being proactive with organizations such as the TRF, Blue Horse Charities, Canter, Rerun promoting second careers for racehorses.
Why can't you support their efforts? These volunteers are NOT tree hugging, spotted owl loving wackos, they are owners, breeders, trainers, and just plain thoroughbred fans. Give them some credit for sticking their necks out for these horses that we all purport to care about, better yet, give them some support if you're there. One of the things that makes this country so great, is that "we, the people" can stand up and declare our objections to something we feel is wrong. Help them.

Pie™
2yo Maiden

Postby Pie™ » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:07 pm

I frequent alot of boards and forums - and believe it or not, I'm not speaking for myself, but only what I know, in alot of venues, to STILL be the general perception of Thoroughbred racing - no matter the good publicity, no matter the good acts, no matter - there are alot of people out there that have the public perception that thoroughbred racing is not good for the horses, that we are all "evil" no gooders, only out for profit, with little to no regard for our horses welfare, no matter how many times we educate them differently. In my small world on NE boards and forums, if I run into this once or twice a month - imagine what the greater population, uninformed and uneducated might think.

Support or not - slaughter or not, I'm not speaking in reference to my own personal anything - I'm just saying, there does seem to be a public opinion - and I just wonder if there will be airplay, and if so, what the outcome / result will be for the sport and on the publics perception of the sport.

Stellaspeed
2yo Maiden

Lone Star

Postby Stellaspeed » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:35 pm

Pie, you are right, unfortunately, the political powers that be have peddled enough influence to cement the perception that evil doing animaniacs are anti animal everything. You are also right in that it could likely be sensationalized by any group to suit whatever agenda. I wish they would leave us out of it. This event, hopefully, can showcase the efforts that the Thoroughbred industry is making to ensure that these athletes do have the chance to go on to a second career.
Believe it or not, the AQHA is the opposite. According to USDA statistics, 67% of the slaughtered animals last year were Quarter horses. The only Senator who is singlehandedly holding up the bipartisan suported HR857 bill is the bought and paid for Bob Goodlatte(Va.), head of the AG committee.
His Chief of staff Brant Gattis is the son of Dan Gattis (Tx) , who is interconnected to Smithfield packing, (HQ in Va) and the meat packing business and to the cattlemens assoc, Houston Livestock and Rodeo and to the AQHA, and to the drug company Wyeth.... just for a lark, go google animex poland and take a minute to follow that info. In a nutshell, you will see that some $$$100 million, (no typo), out of money for Iraq, went to Poland in exchange for them joining the 'coalition of the willing", that $$100 million was then "loaned" to an outfit called Prima (Smithfield front co), who then used it to build factory hog farms for Smithfield, IN POLAND. The horse connection? Animex, owned by US meat packers and factory hog farming giant Smithfield, is the single largest horse slaughter business in Europe.

bcassidy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby bcassidy » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:36 am

Hello PIE, From reading some of these posts it appears that the race horse industry would be best served by having the facts available, if case such an attack was launched. Clearly, people and organizations wishing to demonstrate about an issue like horse slaughter could come after our premier event hoping to get maximum media coverage and I think the only way to prepare for the ambush is to have the facts available and promote the many positive steps the industry has taken to find second homes for most of these animals. I know, I have personally given many ex racehorse to pleasure riders to ensure that their future was as happy and healthy as possible. One walk thru most pleasure horse barns and you will be amazed at the number of ex racers in such a facility. I think you were wise to point out the potential for such an ambush, but I also feel we certainly shouldn't be gun shy about taking this issue head on. It's not our problem---- let's tell them to look somewhere else for the real bad guys and we are totally with them. Just my opinion.
best regards Brendan

Green Hills
Starters Handicap

Postby Green Hills » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:20 pm

Pie™ wrote:Okay, the title of the article, under Guest Commentary in the 9/25 TB Times, by Bill Heller is "Slaughter will be exposed in Texas" Proximity of two slaughterhouses to the track hosting Racing's championship day probably will get national attention

"Horse racing's dirty little secret is about to be revealed. On October 30, the Breeders Cup World Championships will be held at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, Texas, and either through demonstrations by animal activists or enterprising journalists, everyone in the country will learn that Thoroughbred racing's championship day is being conducted in the backyard of two foreign owned slaughterhouses that inhumanely butcher American horses, including Thoroughbreds, for human consumption overseas."

It goes on. My thoughts are "what were we thinking???"
With the recent rescue of so many TB's in the news - and in this very issue, " (page 1, continued on page 8) "Birdstones half brother saved from Slaughter" - didn't anyone think of this and that it might come up?

Like TB racing needs any more bad publicity - no matter how indirectly it can be claimed to be a TB issue.

It's certainly not just a TB issue...it's an issue no matter what the breed... :x

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:57 pm

Would like to offer some comments, and I'm really hoping that this subject 'slaughter' and the discussion herein can remain civil and respectful.

At 7:00 a.m. this morning I was on the phone and sending emails to anyone that could assist in the situation regarding the 3 y/o filly (in the classsifieds section-given away) as the trainer wanted her GONE asap. The *only* reason she was still at the track was due to the fact that she would not load onto the trailer (along w/a 2 y/o gelding) to be shipped to New Holland Auction today. The gelding did go - and just after securing a home for the filly, our attention (many members of organizations dedicated to the welfare of the OTTB) immediately turned to tracking down the gelding and securing him as well - and we were successful in safely securing him and he is now a Lost & Found Rescue in Pa. I certainly do not consider myself as a 'radical' or PETA type person, but certainly, if there is a ottb in need, I will do whatever I can to help.

I am actively involved and have been for a number of years in the safety and welfare of the OTTB. Personally, and I have said this numerous times over, I completely understand that when a trainer makes the decision that a horse must go, it is a business decision - the animal that has the ability to make them money, also can deplete the funds just as quickly.

Also, as I have conveyed in the past, there are good and bad in every aspect of the horse industry, from TB racing to WP, H/J and everything in between. As StellaSpeed wrote, if one to review the numbers pertaining to breeds, by far the majority are made up of QH's/Paints.

In the recent years, I do believe that progress is being made in the TB industry, and the attempts that have been/are being made to breeders/owners/trainers to 'look after their own'. It's slow in coming, but it is coming.

I realize that there are groups and organizations that run along the lines of 'PETA' types, but I am not inclined to favor them, just too radical for me. It is unfortunate though, that there are many, many organizations dedicated to the welfare of the OTTB that are categorized and 'labeled', just as is the case within the TB industry with the owners/breeders/trainers.

I would highly be in favor of publicity if it were to be in a positive light - bringing interest from the general public in regards to TB retirement and organizations that support them always can use the boost.