BACKSTRETCH NOTES

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

louis finochio
Darley line

BACKSTRETCH NOTES

Postby louis finochio » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:55 pm

I was talking to Melinda our local vet and I asked her what percentage of TB have respiratory problems. Melinda said 80 percent from dust, pollution, and improper barn ventilation.

I was talking to Dan Landers Ron McNally foreman about in the 1960 era the farrier's wanted a raise to $18.00 from $12.00. I remember that the trainer's got mad and didnt want to pay the farrier's the increase. The trainer's ran their TB in no shoes and the races went on, with no strike. Rex Ellsworth and his trainer Misch Tenny were behind this 100 percent as they said they would run there TB in no shoes.

Ron McNally will be back from Italy on Saturday and I will ask him about Hawkster, and his whereabouts.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:31 pm

ohh man, I wish shoes onlycosted $20.00!!! We pay anywhere from $100- $165.00 (winter boriums)

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:38 pm

Louis says: >>>Rex Ellsworth and his trainer Misch Tenny were behind this 100 percent as they said they would run there TB in no shoes. <<<

Unfortunately, there has been published proof, since then, that Rex Ellsworth wasn't exactly a caring owner or horseman and there is documentation that Swaps was injected/drugged (on race day) on a few occasions. My partner comes from a very old family in CA horse racing. Some of these documents were passed to him on his Grandmother's passing. So, running his horses without shoes doesn't surprise me at all.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:09 pm

Late 90s a guy offered to give me a horse he was trailering to race at Mountaineer as long as I showed up immed after the race to cool it out (barring the unlikely event that it won or had to go to the test barn). Yup, GIVE, as in GRATIS, Free. He was blind in one eye and had a bad knee. The horse was such a bad actor he ripped off his 2 back shoes getting off the trailer, so instead of having him shod the owner/trainer opted to remove the front shoes and run the horse barefoot. He ran a half way decent fifth actually - folks were lined up at the barn to see if I would show up before the horse did hoping they could get him instead of me. We put shoes on him and gave him some TLC... ran him once to keep hubby happy that I had taken on this "project" and voila! He was 2nd. Had nothing to do with the shoes however LOL. It is a common occurence that if a horse has the wrong type shoes on the shoes can be pulled and the horse raced barefoot instead of being scratched, but of course it depends on the individual and track surface. I sure wouldnt ever run one barefoot on a sloppy messy track...

Am I a SW yet???? :roll:

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:13 pm

Soon, Jessi P, soon.
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:18 pm

yup, Jessi, you got it!