Legal Jousting

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

K~2
Starters Handicap

Legal Jousting

Postby K~2 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:55 pm

Hi,

A friend and I recently bought the stallion Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells).

He was stakes placed in Ireland as a three year old, and in North America as a four year old.

He will be standing in Ontario for a fee of $1500 (LFG - Canadian)

Just wondering what you think... Detailed info on his pedigree and family can be found at the link in my signature, and there is a picture linked to his pedigree in the query.

Krista
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

Colinsb
2yo Maiden

Postby Colinsb » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:10 am

Here's his race record

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/racing_horse_form.sd?horse_id=519867

He finished close up behind some very, very decent horses including the great Giant's Causeway.

Good luck with him, with his race record and pedigree (Sadler's Wells as Broodmare Sire) he should do just fine for you.

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:20 pm

Really good buy, probably a better stallion prospect than most new stallions up there.

His 4th dam Pantomine is bred on the same cross as the good grey stallion Al Hattab. I really like that the 2nd dam is one of Fappiano's best duaghters on the track (Aptostar).

Aptostar was by Fappiano o/o a Graustark mare o/o a The Axe II mare. The Excellent sprinter/miler Honour and Glory combined Fappiano's dam Killaloe with The Axe II in the third generation.

And millionaire gelding Primal was another good one to combine Fappiano's damsire Dr. Fager with Graustark.

This relates to the His Majesty/Dr. Fager confluence/nick; His Majesty was of course the full brother of Graustark and the damsire of Danehill (sire of Legal Jousting's Group Two winning half sister Irresistible Jewel).

-llbean

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:03 pm

Horse His Majesty Dr. Fager
Shared Interest 2 2
dam of Cash Run and Forestry
Critical Eye 3 3
gazelle and hempstead winner
Charm A Gendarme 2 3
dam of Tout Charmont
Colonial Colony 2 4
won Stephon Foster
Horse His Majesty Fappiano
Albert The Great 2 2
won Jockey Club Gold Cup

Don't quite know how hard it would be to mares decended from one of these sources would be though. And of course i'm leaving out 3/4 quarters of your mares pedigree, still it would be very interesting to cross to one top class source of His Majesty/Dr. Fager and another top class source of Graustark/Dr. Fager.

Just noticed your stallion is 4/4 Delta Judge/Graustark and of course Monarcho's dam Regal Band is 3/3 to them.

-llbean

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:05 pm

I should have said your stallion's pedigree.

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:28 pm

llbean, and Colinsb, thanks for taking some time to comment on our stallion.

Keep them coming!!

Thanks again
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:23 pm

Recommended Broodmare Sires

Holy Bull

Holy Bull's damsire is Al Hattab and his sire Great Above has Dr. Fager's parents as his grandsire and granddam. Note that Indian Ridge's BC Mile winning son Domedriver had the filly Snow Goose in the 5th gen. and she was a very close relative to Grey Dawn II's dam Polamia.

Pass The Tab

Pass The Tab's sire was the previously mentioned Al Hattab and his damsire Grey Phantom is by Ambiorix, a close relative of Legal Jousting's male line ancestor Klarion. Plus the 5th dam of Legal Jousting was Fictitious and she is related to Pass The Tab's 2nd dam Literary Light.

The 7th dam of Pass The Tab was Third Trick, a full sister to 1000 Guinias winner Winkiepop and Winkie, the damsire of Phar Lap. Besides being a classic winner in England Winkiepop was the 4th dam of Court Martial, the sire of Discipliner, a filly to whom Indian Ridge is inbred 4x4.

A Note On Ahonoora

Indian Ridge's sire Ahonoora seems to have some of his best success with either Try My Best (See Zodiac Miss, the dam of Azeri) or Try My Best's full sister Bella Senora (See BC Mile winner Domedriver); their more illustrious brother was El Gran Senor.

The common element between Try My Best/Bella Senora and the dam of Ahonoora's best son Indian Ridge is a stallion from 1952 named Traffic Judge. Traffic Judge was a son of Alibhai, the sire of Flower Bowl (found in Legal Jousting).

The great broodmare Toussaud is 5/5 to Alibhai and his 3/4 sister. And her sire is El Gran Senor, the more illustrious full brother of Try My best and Bella Senora. Plus Toussaud's 3rd damsire Swaps nicked well with Graustark (See Oh So Fair, dam of English Filly Triple Crown winner Oh So Sharp, etc.), and Indian Ridge traces all the way back to Cinna (Also ancestress of Sunday Silence), the dam of Swaps' damsire Beau Pere. Trying to tie both sides together is important.

Toussaud got Empire Maker to Fappiano's son Unbridled. Her son Civiliation is in West Virginia.

Note on Azeri

Azeri and your stallion both trace back to "condiut mare" Valve, Azeri through a 1935 mare named Painter's Song (A reverse cross on Court Martial's dam, Court Martial is 6x6x6 in Azeri and 6x6 in Indian Ridge through his daughter). I'd thus look out for the right kind of mares tracing back to Painter's Song.

Note on Diktat

The very nice '95 Warning colt Diktat's dam was on a reverse cross relative to your stallion.

-llbean

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:46 am

Recommended Broodmare Sires (Cont.)

Lyphard His Sons Pharly Monteverdi and his great-grandson Jade Hunter

I just noticed that Lyphard and Ahonoora make a very nice nick. They are combined in the grade/group one winners Azeri, Waky Nao, and Indian Haven. They also combined in the group one produce Dragon Pearl, the dam of top NZ stayer Maguire. Maguire's dam was out of a mare by Lyphard's son Monteverdi. Interestingly enough, Monteverdi was a 3/4 brother to Jadina, the dam of Azeri's sire Jade Hunter. This may be called confirmation. Pharly was damsire of the aforesaid Jade Hunter and had a rare source of Fascination (Ancestress of Court Martial's daughter Discipline and Stephen The Great, damsire of Legal Jousting's 5th damsire Blue Peter) on his damline.

Darshaan

Besides being a beautiful nick with Sadler's Wells, Darshaan traces to the Frizette female line of Legal Jousting's male line ancestor Toubillon(Tourbillon is 4x5 in his dam Delsy). It's also important that Darshaan's sire Shirley Heights traces to the same Valve female line as your stallion through a daughter of Blue Peter like LJ's 6th dam Mermaid.

Also look out for mares with the Dalmary (5-h) line as Sadler's Wells and Indian Ridge's grandpappy Lorenzaccio both trace to her.

-llbean

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:00 am

Confirmation of Darshaan Comments

Shirley Height's and Ahonoora combined 3/2 in Prix De Diane (FR-GI) winner Latice (b. 2001).

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:26 am

Recommended Broodmare Sires (Cont.)

Theatrical

Ahonoora and his son Indian Ridge both love more Court Martial (b.1942) and Theatrical's dam Tree of Knowledge was inbred to him 4x4, Once through his son King's Bench. King's Bench traced to the same female family as Legal Josting.

Theatrical's sire Nureyev was a three parts brother of Sadler's Wells and combined with him in Gr. I winners Divine Proportions, El Condor Pasa, Whipper, and Galan Fantasma.

Nureyev and Ahonoora have so far combined in Golden Jubilee (GB-GI) winner Malhub and in the Assie bred South African GR. I winner Suntagonal.

-llbean

sprucie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby sprucie » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:02 am

I love the fact that he has a strong female family. What is also very good is that he is tail male to Herod, a bloodline that is all but gone in North America. He stands for a very reasonable stud fee too!

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:40 am

:?: What's a reverse cross?

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Legal Jousting

Postby Bill from WA » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:15 am

Hi

I think I commented on this stallion awhile back. His conduit profile has him as an individual whose pedigree indicates stamina, and that an introduction of mares with brilliance in their pedgrees would serve him well. He has duplictions of the I/S classified Simon's Shoes (a great sire producing influence) through Sadler's Wells and Lorenzaccio, and another duplication of the conduit mare, Picardel (a C/S influence) through the 2000 Guineas winner, Martial, and the very good sprinter, Skymaster.
The Aga Khan used the sire Abdos, from the same sireline as Legal Jousting, very successfully in his breeding program. Finding mares that have Tourbillon in their pedigrees seems to be a cross that would duplicate some of the successes that the Aga Khan had. I think an infussion of Seattle Slew might be a viable choice. Ilbean has listed a number of well thought out directions that make sense.
I really like this fellow's pedigree, but would carefully consider the mares offerd to him in order to produce an individual more suited to the North American style of racing. I think brilliance would be the key.

Bill

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:01 pm

An example of a reverse cross would be Poker and Secretariat. Poker was by a son of Princequillo out of a mare by Nasrullah and Secretariat was the "reverse", being by a son of Nasrullah out of a mare by Princequillo. In the same way Painter's Song is by Gainsborough out of a Hurry On mare and Court Martial's dam is by Hurry On out of a Gainsborough mare.

-llbean

sprucie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby sprucie » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:50 pm

What do you think of Legal Jousting x Mean of Queen? It would offer linebreeding to Aspidistra and Natalma. This mare needs more distance in a stallion.