AD VALOREM, wins Middle Park

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

AD VALOREM, wins Middle Park

Postby Ruffian » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:31 pm

Ad Valorem-(Danzig x Classy Woman- sold $750k 2yo) won Group 1 middle Park stakes- Unbeaten in 3 starts(Maiden, Listed, Group 1)
For Aiden O'Brien and Mrs Magnier... lets hope he doesnt have a 'dodgy' heart in the guineas :twisted:

Full report---

Ad Valorem signals Guineas promise

by Seb Vance

AS AIDAN O'BRIEN congratulated John Magnier on Ad Valorem's victory on Friday, the head of the Ballydoyle-Coolmore axis told his trainer that it was him that deserved the congratulations.

The handshake would have meant an awful lot to the trainer,who has surely endured the most wretched of his seasons at Ballydoyle. There probably won't be enough time to turn it around this year but Friday's Middle Park Stakes winner, O'Brien's third, was a timely one.

It followed the news this week that one of their great hopes, One Cool Cat, has been retired. Of course, that was just one setback in a long list of disappointments, which have included the injury to this year's Derby favourite Yeats and the disqualification of Powerscourt in the Arlington Million, plus Antonius Pius throwing away the French Guineas.

It all meant that Friday's impressive success in the Shadwell Stud-sponsored six-furlong contest was O’Brien’s first Group 1 winner in Britain this season.

"It's always a relief when you win these big ones," said O'Brien.

"We're always doing our best and it's great to win this."

Jamie Spencer always had Ad Valorem going well near the head of affairs, and when he asked his mount to go on just over a furlong out, the son of Danzig obliged in really encouraging style.

The duo were always holding the late challenge of Rebuttal, who could not give Brian Meehan a remarkable juvenile Group 1 double in just 24 hours, to win by three-quarters of a length.

Spencer, in his first season as O'Brien's jockey, was quick to praise his boss, saying: "People have made a lot of this season but it doesn't affect Aidan, he's a cool character and a great trainer. I'm more likely to have a heart attack before he does."

O'Brien can take time to relax this weekend in the knowledge that Ad Valorem, as low as 14-1 with Coral for the 2,000 Guineas, is a serious Classic contender.

"It didn't look like he was stopping and was holding on strongly. Jamie thinks he will stay further than six, but the colt has a lot of natural speed too," said O'Brien.

Spencer, who deserted stablemate and triple Group 1-placed Russian Blue for the winner, added: "He's very lazy at home and it's hard to gauge where you are with him, but he certainly does it on the track.

"The ground was a little bit shifty and that was the worry, he prefers it faster and I'm sure he'll get further."

The first two are unlikely to run again this year, but Iceman, who was denied a clear passage, finished well and ran what trainer John Gosden described as "an ideal trial for the Dewhurst”.

Quotes

Aidan O'Brien, winning trainer
"He always gives the impression that he has plenty left in the tank and I think that was the case today. We'll put him away now and reassess the situation in the spring."

Jamie Spencer, Ad Valorem's rider
"He dug deep when he had to - I would say he stays well enough."

Brian Meehan, trainer of runner-up Rebuttal
"I thought he was going to win, but he couldn't quite get past the winner. Pat Smullen [the jockey] tells me the winner is the best two-year-old colt in Ireland, so that must make us the second best. He is a big fellow and we shall put him away for the winter with the Guineas in mind. He could go there without a run."

John Gosden, trainer of third-placed Iceman
"He was pinched and squeezed out so that he dropped back to last inside the last two furlongs, so to fly after being switched and to run on the way he did with just one flick of the whip was very encouraging. He is still a relatively fresh horse and has not been kept on the go all the time."

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:08 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is the distance of the Middle Park Stakes?

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Middle Park Stakes

Postby Georgerz » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:04 am

Six furlongs.