TVG cuts some analysts

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Toccet02
Leading Sire

TVG cuts some analysts

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:06 pm

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62100/tvg-eliminates-20-positions

they couldn't do anything about the annoying blonde guy who kept joking he'd be fired by Betfair, though . . .
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Toccet, you said it, the blonde fella is indeed annoying. His jokes are not funny either.

I'm sorry to see Frank Lyons go. I thought he was knowledgeable and nice to look at as well. JMHO.

Does anyone know what cable/satellite network carries both TVG and HRTV?
I could have sworn that someone posted on here somewhere that there was one that had them both.

We have Direct TV satellite, all I do get is TVG, but the satellite is out more than its in! We are huge sports fans here, so if anyone can recommend a company, I'd appreciate it. We are in the Midwest, north of Chicago.

Thanks
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:58 pm

In VA, I get both TVG and HRTV via DISH NETWORK. I think they are in different packages but both are available.

As far as the TVG layoffs, I thought the on-air format was poor and had been for quite awhile. I really tired of it quickly. The article only mentioned 4 layoffs from the on-air staff. I hope this doesn't mean that they are keeping the stand up comics like the dumb blond guy. I didn't appreciate the gimmicks to keep the viewers attention.

Maybe this is just me, but it appeared TVG was not covering as many tracks as they did a few years back. I like the HRTV programming. There coverage is very diverse. Some of the alternative programming with show jumping, instruction, and western riding are interesting.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:37 pm

here, here, Shammy.

I laughed my butt off when I read your statement the dumb blonde guy!!! LOL
He DOES think he is so funny but it makes you want to throw a tomato at him or have the big hook come out from stage left or right and pull him off the show.

Oh, it just came to me, its Matt Caruthers, I think his name is. As one Charlie Sheen would say "duh" He is esp. annoying when they put him live out at a track and he tries to interview the crowd and then the camera starts going all over the place, giving the home viewer a headache. The only ones that will want to talk to him are the drunk ones because the other people beat it when they see him coming at them!

You are so right, they used to cover more, I used to enjoy watching the Arabian races at night from one track they covered. Love those beautiful horses.

Thanks for the info on the tv package. I've been trying to get info on them by calling them, and right away they send you to sales to sign you up before they want to give you who/what they cover and how much! YIKES!

ZZTOPPERS
Maiden Special Weight

Postby ZZTOPPERS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:22 pm

FYI TVG and HRTV are both on the basic Top 120 Dish Network lineup, I had to upgrade the sports package on DirecTV and they will only carry TVG, so I switched years ago.
I HATE to see Bob B and Frank Lyons go, two of the smartest horse people on the air. But this is par for the course at TVG, they've gone from top dog to bottom level claimer in no time.

fastappy
Starters Handicap

TVG

Postby fastappy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Man, why couldn't they get rid of Todd Schrupp? Frank Lyons was very knowledgeable horseman but he seemed to have been MIA for awhile. Mr. B mumbled alot, imo. Frank Miramonte I thought was very good & very knowledgeable like Frank Lyons.
"He's by Damon Runyon out of a Don Rickles mare," Actor Jack Klugman

Aug27
Allowance Winner

Postby Aug27 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:35 pm

More proof that whoever is calling the shots at TVG is not a good judge of talent and what's important.

Bob Baedeker is the best handicapper they had, and Frank Lyons knows more about pedigree than any of their other on-air "talent".

Have to stick to HRTV from here on out, I guess ...
Their announcers aren't great either, but not so clearly clueless as the remaining TVG lot.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:58 am

They also canned Chris Kotulak who was very knowledgeable and personable. But I really don't watch TVG other than The Quarters, Hollywood Park and Del Mar. The on air talent is basically unwatchable and annoying. Too much singing and showbiz wannabee sickening stuff.

HRTV's talent have fun but stay on point and are so much more personable. Kurt Hoover, Millie Ball, Gary Stevens, Gary Mandella, Peter Lurie, Jeff Siegel and the really good Lafitte Pincay III are just terrific. And their newest addition, Zoe Cadman, does a fantastic job with her paddock interviews.
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:59 am

Rumours of Frank Lyons' demise have been greatly exaggerated - he's on screen right now.

Good news in my opinion. I can take or leave just about everyone on TVG, they're just background noise between the races - but I do like him.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:16 am

We get both HRTV & TVG here in PA with the Dish. Satellite doesn't got out very much at all (then again, we're on a hill with good line-of-sight to open sky). I watch HRTV with the sound on & TVG often with the sound turned down. Although there were a couple days lately that HRTV was pretty disappointing with the lack of racing programming. Still, that's my preference.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks for the info on the satelite everyone! Much appreciated. :)

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:37 pm

Lucy wrote:Rumours of Frank Lyons' demise have been greatly exaggerated - he's on screen right now.

Good news in my opinion. I can take or leave just about everyone on TVG, they're just background noise between the races - but I do like him.
lol I see what you did there
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:01 pm

So, who actually got their pink slips?

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:30 am

Shammy Davis wrote:So, who actually got their pink slips?

One person they didn't mute was Rudulph.

Amazing.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:45 am

Sysonby: You've got to wonder what they are thinking. KR is absolutely terrible. Matt, the dumb male blond, is the other. I was watching TVG the other night and thought, they haven't changed their format since the very beginning. I may be an odd ball, but I enjoy harness racing and at least TVG programs that.

JMO, but HRTV's informational programming is a definite plus. It boggles my mind that TVG hasn't seen the light and programmed in the same direction. There are plenty of good stories and topics yet to be programmed. TVG needs to get some directions and produce some of those valuable stories and topics.