Racemares that were great producers???

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Racemares that were great producers???

Postby Ruffian » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:01 am

Following on from the 'Racemares that might've been...' what racemares(i.e. CHAMPION racemares) have gone on and produced horses of the same ilk?
Off the top of my head-

ALLEZ FRANCE(great filly)
MIESQUE

This one shouldn't be too hard to fill!

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:18 am

*Selima won a very early race against someone or another in the anterevolutional period and then went on to be a very important broodmare in the history of the breed.

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:58 am

Toussaud

Dance Smartly (personal fav)

Personal Ensign

Epitome

My Dear Girl

Busanda

louis finochio
Darley line

Steroids

Postby louis finochio » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:29 am

I have had many people tell me once a filly or mare receive steroids when their racing, they will be a failure in the breeding shed. You cant change the dominant genes that produce the superior runners by giving the TB steroids. Im glad to see the names that were posted here of great producers thanks.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:48 am

1944 HOY Twilight Tear did very well as a broodmare although she died relatively young. Champion 3yo filly Lady Pitt was also a fine broodmare, and her graded stakes-winning daughter Blitey was even better. The half sisters Levee and Delta were both high class racers and Broodmares of the Year, and champion 3yo filly Bayou (a full sister to Levee) also had some success in the paddocks. And then there's the KY Oaks winners Lalun and Blush With Pride, both near the top of their crops as racers and both very good producers. There's a long list of other champions and near-champions that could be mentioned.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:27 am

I'll second Twilight Tear. The problem with giving a race filly steriods (from my expereince) is that is can be very hard to get them infoal and keep them infoal for the first couple of years they come off the track. They may not show heat, even when given drugs to make them cycle. It may take a number of years, but once they begin producing you can keep them going with good management.

mary
Yearling

Postby mary » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:32 am

Not only was she a champion in her own right, Glorious Song also gave us Singspiel and Rahy, among others.

Nessa
Grade III Winner

Postby Nessa » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:53 pm

Well she might not be considered a great racemare, but Weekend Surprise was an excellent producer, leaving us A. P. Indy, Summer Squall, and Honor Grades. Two others Devongate(who looks like he might have been a good sire if not for his misfortunes) and Tiger Ridge, who is looking like a up and comer, plus stakes placed Weekend in Seattle.
Last edited by Nessa on Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nu

petersd
Maiden Special Weight

Dahlia

Postby petersd » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:12 pm

You have to put her up there...

Sky Beauty
Suckling

Postby Sky Beauty » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:34 pm

What about Gold Beauty? She was champion sprinter in 1982, and produced the champion Dayjur, as well as multiple G1 winner Maplejinsky, dam of champion Sky Beauty.
If she'd lived longer, there is no telling what else she'd have produced. That family literally was gold, as far as great racehorses are concerned. Too bad Sky Beauty never managed to carry on that particular tradition....