General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Kitten's Joy

Postby Sam » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:40 pm

.. is a FREAK!

That was amazing.

So, now my question is ... If he wins out and takes the Breeder's Cup Turf, that gives him 2 G1s over older horse/3 G1s overall and 6 stakes wins on the year.

How can you NOT consider that for 3yo of the year as well as top turf male?

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:05 pm

Very easily...because too many voters think strictly inside the box. Remember 2002, when the older male division was very weak? Both With Anticipation (3 G1s, very game second in BC Turf on footing he didn't like) and Orientate (2 G1s, 2 G2s, and a G3, including BC Sprint) should have gotten solid consideration for champion older male, but neither got a vote because they were pigeonholed as a turf runner and a sprinter, respectively, and voters think of champion older male as "best older male on dirt at more than a mile."
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Kittens Joy

Postby TomFool » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:18 pm

In no disrespect to Kittens Joy, if he could pull off the Breeders Cup Turf which he may but I doubt. He would def deserve mention as horse of the year. Another who even if he wins the sprint will probley be in the same boat is Pico Central. Throw out that race at Del Mar & this horse has been nothing short of brilliant. People touted Strong Hope (30k studd fee), PC soundly defeated him twice. People touted Speightstown (50k+ stud fee), PC turned him away easily today in another G1 in the strongest division period. Even if PC skips the BC sprint & wins the Cigar mile he should be horse of the year regardless of what horse staggers home in the classic.

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:26 pm

Mahubah wrote:Very easily...because too many voters think strictly inside the box.

I know, and it pisses me off.

I wonder if part of that comes from the unconscious thought that if a horse were to win two separate division, by default he should be the HOY and they don't want to do that?

Even without a win in the BC Turf, I'd still have to think Kitten's Joy is the best turfer we have right now. If he wins it, there's no doubt to me that he should get the 3yo and turf titles. He's shown more consistency and more ability than any other 3yo and now he has beaten his elders in outstanding fashion. Plus, he's got just as many G1 victories this year as the leading 3yo candidate, one being in open G1 company -- something neither Bird or Jones can say at this point.

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:52 pm

It's early to be talking about potential nicks; but Kitten's Joy and Dubawi share a similar background. They both have Roberto (either through Broodmare of the Year Slightly Dangerous or excellent broodmare sire Lear Fan); Buckpasser (either through Con Game or Canadian Horse of the Year Lenjoleur); and either Kentucky Oaks winner Sweet Alliance or her 3/4 sister Lady Capulet, who won the '77 Irish 1000 Guinieas. The crosss that produced the 3/4 sisters was a truely tremendous one.

Also one of them has Shirley Heights and the other has Sadler's Wells; they forming the premier nick of modern European history. One is inbred 3x5 to Northern Dancer and the other is inbred 4x5.

Kitten's Joy is 4x5 to the full brother and sister Lt. Stevens and Thong. The 2nd dam of Kitten's Joy produced Down the Aisle when bred to Blushing Groom. It's the same general line of Spectacular Bid.

This site says the dam of Kitten's Joy produced '03 and '04 fillies by Catienus; before that she threw a dual grass stakeswinner by Broad Brush.

-llbean

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:36 pm

I was very impressed by Kitten's Joy in yesterday's race...the epitome of class and superior runner - whether you see it on the turf or on the dirt - he ought to get some consideration for HOY....IF he wins the BC Turf, he should get SERIOUR consideration.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:01 pm

Hi guys

Yes...Kittens Joy is a true monster...and only 3 years-old...WOW

And Pico Central...absolutely embarrased Speightstown (and all of the others)...WOW again.

Respectfully