Nancy T
Allowance Winner

Postby Nancy T » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:36 pm

:D :lol:

Yay Funny Cide!!

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:14 pm

Ummm...I've been a little out of touch. Think I missed something. Did Funny Cide win a big race? What's going on. Please fill me in. Thankys!

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:38 pm

ZiaLand wrote:Ummm...I've been a little out of touch. Think I missed something. Did Funny Cide win a big race? What's going on. Please fill me in. Thankys!

Laurie

Won the Jockey Club Gold Cup today in pretty dramatic fashion.

charlie
Weanling

Postby charlie » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:21 pm

FUNNY CIDE !! Good Luck at the BC Classic!

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:49 pm

What great news! I'd about given up on the boy. :D

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:28 pm

I was up there today and he ran very big. The track was funny and it rained before the race, so I don't think you can really compare times on this one, but he ran a good race. This was one of the first races to see the 4YO's vs. the 3YO's and The Cliff's Edge was in a great spot but couldn't run with Funny Cide.

But I do think this is the best group of American turf runners I have ever seen, and they are all 3YO's.

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:31 pm

:D Oh hurrah! Didn't get to watch it- family outing. I KNEW he wasn't washed up! :D

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:12 am

Joe wrote:I was up there today and he ran very big. The track was funny and it rained before the race, so I don't think you can really compare times on this one, but he ran a good race. This was one of the first races to see the 4YO's vs. the 3YO's and The Cliff's Edge was in a great spot but couldn't run with Funny Cide.

Joe, did you get the same sense about the effort that I had?

I've seen the race about 8 times now and my gut feeling is that if Cliff hadn't run up on him like that, he'd have been beat and finished third. He was done on the turn. Without Cliff running up on him, he was just going to merry-go-round it for the length of the stretch. Something about Cliff coming at him made him dig down and fight back.

jellac
Grade I Winner

A Great Fun To Watch

Postby jellac » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:31 pm

It was a very gritty run by "Funny" and I was screaming "C'mon FUNNY!!" loudly at my TV in the kitchen so I guess the whole neighborhood is now aware that I am a bit deranged. I thought Jose Santos' confident interview afterwards, of how 'familiar' he was with this horse and how "he has three different speeds" was interesting. Looked to me like Santos ran Funny through the entire gearbox at least twice in getting this win but boy did he dig deep and fight for it at the end.

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:46 pm

Wow, thanks for the update.

Yea for Funny Cide!!!!

The Classic is shaping up to be one heck of a race. Can't wait to see Birdstone and Funny Cide hook up.
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:48 pm

Yeah, but in another post, I read that Cliff's Edge broke his leg in that bid. Jockey Gary Stevens (? am I right in remembering) said he felt him falter, but Cliff plowed on...

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

the good and bad of it all

Postby TBLADY » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:37 am

Was so great to see FC back to his old self...you talk about a gutsy gelding! What a finish...I too was yelling from across the room it was a-holes and elbows there for awhile. I just love a race with GAME horses.

Sad News about The Cliffs Edge...he gave it a great try. I just hope he can offer great things in the breeding shed. Anyword on his fee and where he will stand yet. I haven't been reading the TB times or BH web sites.

bcassidy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby bcassidy » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:49 am

I am certainly not raining ( no pun intended ) on Funny Cides parade, I was equally very glad to see him get this win, but lest anyone think he is back to where he was, I only want to point out that his sire Distorted Humor gets very good off track horses, so I would be very careful if you want to bet FC next time out. If the track is dry fast, I wouldn't be overly confident with my betting. Just wanted to point this out, so somebody might not lose too much in his next start. Let's see what happens. Of coarse a wet track is a definite play.
best regards Brendan

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:00 am

I was also especially impressed with Newfoundlands effort in the race, his last few have been top drawer.