JC Registration question

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

vineyridge
Grade III Winner

JC Registration question

Postby vineyridge » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:21 am

Who is considered the breeder of a horse? The person who arranged for the cover or the owner at the time of foaling?
Thread Killer Extraordinaire

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 am

The owner at time of foaling is considered the breeder.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:03 am

"The owner at time of foaling is considered the breeder"

I would add two "UNLESS....." caveats to the above statement:

.....UNLESS you have not paid the consideration that is due the stallion owner/sydicate for their stallion's services in which case they have every right to thart your ability to register the foal in your name as the "Breeder of Record" unless/until you've fulfilled your obligations to them for the stallion's service/contribution to that foal.

OR:

....UNLESS you purchased/acquired the mare in foal or prior to her being bred/covered with an agreement/understanding that the person who owned her at time of cover (or a stallion owner/stallion season/share owner) would be the 'Breeder' of record on any resulting foal's papers. It is not unheard of for mare owners/purchasers to negotiate 'reduced' or even 'free' stallion services with the owner of a mare in-foal or owner of a stallion - and/or a season/share in that stallion - on the provisio that when/if a viable foal is born the stallion owner will be registered as the "Breeder of Record". To be sure (and to protect the parties' interests such an agreement/understanding should have been reduced to a written -and signed/notarized 'contract' or 'agreement' document for reference in the event of future disagreements. However, in Texas - a verbal understanding or so-called "handshake agreement" - can be held by the courts as a legitimate, binding contract with the right evidence/support.

Just ask Texaco (now 'Chevron/Texaco') about that :D

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:43 pm

That is true the owner at time of foaling, but I have in the past put down the people that did the breeding prior to us buying a mare already in foal.

I don't know why, I just feel they are the ones that did most the work and wanted the breeding and for what ever reason had to sell the mare.