Best breeding sheds in KY

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Best breeding sheds in KY

Postby Barcaldine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Curious as to others' experience with KY breeding sheds this year.

As usual I find WALMAC to be outstanding. Very friendly and accomodating. I had a mare bumped by another farm yesterday that had to be bred ASAP. One phone call later Walmac had her on the books and she was bred within a few hours. They moved one of their own mares to make room for mine!

Also like VINERY for much the same reason. The staff is very helpful and works hard to get the mares booked in to breed. Not an easy job with popular studs.

ASHFORD: the lines are long but the service is good. No complaints here.

On my S*** list: HILL N DALE. The office girls are great, and so is Aiden, stallion manager. But management is rude and arrogant. Apparently they think their manure doesnt smell.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: Best breeding sheds in KY

Postby docjocoy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:02 pm

Barcaldine wrote:Curious as to others' experience with KY breeding sheds this year.

As usual I find WALMAC to be outstanding. Very friendly and accomodating. I had a mare bumped by another farm yesterday that had to be bred ASAP. One phone call later Walmac had her on the books and she was bred within a few hours. They moved one of their own mares to make room for mine!

Question for you barc:
Was the stallion you substituted at Walmac on your plan "B" list, so you could easily change stallions for the mare and be happy with the breeding, both on paper and the physical? You had perhaps been considering this new stallion previously but chose not to go with him until you got "bumped?" And no contract to deal with?
Just curious. Breeding in KY so different than CA.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:41 pm

I found most of the farms to be pretty accomodating. We usually call Darby Dan the "do it yourself" farm (you have to hold your own mare the entire time she at at the farm - in the wash rack, with the teaser stallion, etc... except in the breeding shed) but truthfully I don't think you could find a farm that worked with you any better than they did. For example - I was bringing two mares down to the farm to be bred to two of their stallions and believe it or not they needed bred on the same day. They got that arranged. On the way down there the truck pulling the trailer broke down and we had to sit in a parking lot for 3.5 hours waiting for someone to come and give us another truck to pull the trailer. When I called Darby Dan because we were going to be missing our appointments, they bumped both appointments to late night breedings and we were able to get both of those mares bred on that day. It really went above and beyond what they really had to do.
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Re: Best breeding sheds in KY

Postby Barcaldine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:01 pm

[/quote]

Question for you barc:
Was the stallion you substituted at Walmac on your plan "B" list, so you could easily change stallions for the mare and be happy with the breeding, both on paper and the physical? You had perhaps been considering this new stallion previously but chose not to go with him until you got "bumped?" And no contract to deal with?[/quote]

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!

I went with READY'S IMAGE who I had already booked two other mares to. I happen to like young sires in general and this guy gets an "A"
in almost all boxes (that's MY "A", not a NICKSTERS "A"!)

Coincidentally I believe one of my mares will foal tonight to the cover of READY'S IMAGE. Looking forward to seeing it.

Zahrah
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Zahrah » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Taylor Made did right by me this week.

My mare needed to be covered on Monday but Unbridled's Song was booked up all week but the girl called and said they would do their best... lo and behold, Monday at 4 she was covered by the big boy.

The whole team was there even though the weather was crappy and nothing else was being bred, and they did it with smiles... no attitudes or complaints. They bent over backwards and it was much appreciated.