VA State Fair bankrupt

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

VA State Fair bankrupt

Postby Shammy Davis » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:36 am

After 150 years, the VA State Fair is ceasing operations. Sadly, it is located on the site of Christopher Chenery's Meadow Farm. All assets are to be liquidated meaning that the land and historic buildings will be sold. From a historical perspective of TB horseracing, this is tragic. A year or so ago, Penny Chenery hosted a gala fundraising event for the State Fair at Meadow Event Park as it was known.

http://www2.godanriver.com/business/201 ... r-1747711/

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:43 am

This is a symptom of the decline in America. The closer to Washington D.C. the farther away from true American values gets. Moving the capital to say, Topeka, KS would be like an antidote to the poison of politics and rehabilitation to the out of touch political elite. Or perhaps just wait until the necrosis effects just sloughs off into the Atlantic.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:48 am

I kind of like the idea of moving the capital to Kansas.

Sad about the Chenery place, though.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:41 am

To think they destroyed a beautiful farm and now look where it's got them. This state is ridiculous. :roll:
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:52 am

I don't understand how a decision by a private group to sell a farm makes the State of VA ridiculous.

I also do not believe American values are tied in any way to a group's decision to sell a farm or, for that matter, to the TB industry. NASCAR maybe but not TB racing.

However, moving the capital to Kansas is a great idea.

griff

PS: Read some where that Colonial Downs might be the next site for the State Fair.
g
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:59 am

Spex4me. please tell us who "THEY" are

griff

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:22 pm

CORRECTION

It was Richmond International Raceway's president who said the racetrack is willing to host the State Fair of Virginia.

not Colonial Downs

griff

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:10 pm

they havve been trying to move the Arkansas state fair to a bigger venue for as long as i can remember. decades. that place is on life support. it's too small to make any money anymore and it's in literally THE worst part of the city of little rock, no one wants to go at night.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:41 pm

griff wrote:CORRECTION

It was Richmond International Raceway's president who said the racetrack is willing to host the State Fair of Virginia.

not Colonial Downs

griff

Discussion over a decade ago was to go to Cnl, but Cnl didn't nibble. It was at RIR I believe, at one point. Certainly have lots of fair type facilities for it. Some state fairs in the Midwest used to host the best equine events, including the Hambletonian at DuQuoin IL.

I for one am tired of the whole ag and horse industry just getting blown away in Va where there is SO MUCH great history.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Yep, lots of History in VA..

The article I read said what is now the Richmond International Raceway hosted the VA State Fair from 1946 until it moved to Meadow Event Park in Caroline County.

That same article said The State Fair Of Virginia, Inc, announced Wednesday that it is heading into Chapter 7 Liguidation; not Chapter 11 Restructuring

Does not sound like the selling of the farm has anything to do with the cancellation of the fair.

The problem might be that people do not attend State Fairs anymore.

griff

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Well Griff I think the SFVA anf the state are fools. Come on boo hoo our portfolio took a hit. Really, so did mine but not that bad because I , through great advisment, saw it coming, and put my eggs in other baskets... all in all I took a hit of less than 9%. But maybe nobody me just got lucky, but I would think the more I had at stake the more diligent I'd be about my funds. I would also love to see the salary of 17 employees. I am going to guess they probably aren't going to be meager as one would think a non profit would be.
American values (which honestly I think is a misnomer) to me involve protecting historical landmarks, investing in agricultural activities, helping those less fortunate ect. I look at some of the crud that gets money dumped into it and and can't for the life of me figure out why. That land was made into a giant parking lot in my eyes. A useless one at that. The Virginia State Fair has blown imo for the last 10 years, so did I think a change in venue was going to save it. Not in this instance, especially when I know of noone in Alexandria who says, oh goody I want to drive to BFE for a less than spectacular fair. Honestly I feel there about 4 county fairs which are run better and have more variety.
So my opinion about this state which has made other questionable decisions in the name of public good, as well as their shabby, yes 2 lousy months , so called support of racing is laughable.
I am not looking to debate my opinion, as I don't care what someone else feels and I only know and am in control of myself. I prefer to spend time engaging in something relaxing other than creating a surplus of hot air, as I always felt actions are more persuasive than words. When they first started tearing Meadow Farm up, I knew it was a bad decision..... guess my gut was right.
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:52 pm

and the above was ????

griff