Gastrogard administered on race day

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Gastrogard administered on race day

Postby ct2346 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:32 pm

I just had a trainer administer gastrogard on raceday. He actually adminstered it in the receiving barn 4 hours before the race. The SRC swooped in and scratched the horse (mine). The claim was that it was a performance enhancer. I know I'm leaving this open to a wide range of comments, but would be interested to hear thoughts as to the performance enhancer interpretation as well as the trainer's behavior.
Thanks.

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:59 pm

The trainer screwed up gving it in the detention barn. Plain and simple. Other than Lasix administered by a veterinarian NOTHING can legally be given the day of the race. Period. Gastrogaurd doesn't test, it is an allowable medication, but the administration is what got you scratched. Your trainer messed up badly, he should have given the Gastroguard before he left his barn. We all make mistakes, but he needs to own it, IMO.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Actually that all varies by jurisdiction which is one of the biggest problems facing horse racing today. It does test, it is just not tested for in some places and is allowed in others. Some places it is a threshold. Baffert had a bad test somewhere for omeprazole, can't remember where.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi ct,
There is a 24 hour withdrawal time for Omeprazole (Gastroguard). It is a tested for class 5 low priority drug in most jurisdictions. But as photo said, nothing is allowed to be administered to a horse via a dose syringe while in the receiving barn. TJ

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Gastrogard administered on race day

Postby ageecee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:41 pm

[quote="ct2346"]I just had a trainer administer gastrogard on raceday. He actually adminstered it in the receiving barn 4 hours before the race. The SRC swooped in and scratched the horse (mine). The claim was that it was a performance enhancer. I know I'm leaving this open to a wide range of comments, but would be interested to hear thoughts as to the performance enhancer interpretation as well as the trainer's behavior.
Thanks.[/quote]

Fire ur trainer immediately

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm

There's lots of other trainers. Find one that has a clue about what the rules are.

valjoe
Allowance Winner

Postby valjoe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:15 pm

where do horses go in the receiving barn 4 hours before a race? here in CA is about 30 min

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:22 am

In KY and Indiana it is a minimum of four hours before the race.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Madelyn, do you also have a time they must enter the grounds on race day if they are shippers? I'm thinking here in Ca. shippers must be in the grounds by 10:00 a.m. so if you run at 4:00 p.m. that would be switching stalls twice on race day. That would be terrible..

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:38 pm

It depends on if they are outside horses headed to the receiving barn or if they are shipping to a trainer's home base. I know in Indiana for a home base trainer the horse has to be on the grounds by 7am of the race day. Whereas shippers from outside based trainers just have to be there four hours before the race. You might have a rule like that in CA where your trainer is based at the track but is bringing in a satellite horse to run. The horse has to make the home base rule (by XX:XX am of the race day). I may be way off base but I think it has to do with vet inspections and the last barn to be inspected is the receiving barn.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:48 pm

When shipping in from a training center or farm to race the arrival time concern is due to track vet inspection, whether or not you will need lasix administered at the track and if you will be shipping to the recieving barn or made other arrangements. Below is the basic outline used by many tracks concerning shippers. TJ

Horses shipping in race day:
1.Horses receiving lasix injections are required to arrive at least five hours prior to post time of their race. All horses are required to arrive no later than two hours prior to the first post time.
2. Trainers shipping into another trainer’s stalls must let both the receiving barn and the stable office know the location of the horse for morning exam at 6:00 a.m. race day, failure to do so may result in a consultation with the stewards.

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:46 pm

On the shiping note - I have run in 8 different states, at some point shipped in to to run in 7 of them, rules are as varied as landscape! Some want you there by 10 a.m. regardless of Lasix or post time, some want you there 1 hour prior to Lasix, or 2 hours prior to post if no Lasix....some don't know what they want so they change it a little bit each year :P !

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks all for responding. Just as a way of putting punctuation at the end of the sentence, the trainer received a $25 fine (talk about a slap on the wrist) and I decided to give him "one more chance".

I believe that had this occured in other jurisdictions, the result might have been different, both in terms of "jail" for my horse and size of the penalty.

Elusive City
Allowance Winner

Postby Elusive City » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:01 am

Elusive City was DQ from a few stakes races in the UK cause he tested positive for Gastrogard.

EC

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:58 pm

ct2346 wrote:Thanks all for responding. Just as a way of putting punctuation at the end of the sentence, the trainer received a $25 fine (talk about a slap on the wrist) and I decided to give him "one more chance".

I believe that had this occured in other jurisdictions, the result might have been different, both in terms of "jail" for my horse and size of the penalty.

If that had happened in MD they wouldn't have batted an eye.