arc de triomphe

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

arc de triomphe

Postby stancaris » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:59 am

I am interested in taking a trip to see the Arc De Triomphe race in France on the first weekend in Oct 2013.

Anyone have any info they would like to share about going on such a trip for a week in France and a few days at the races leading up to and including the famous Arc race? Tours recommended, places to go etc. My wife and I do not speak French so a tour guide would be best.

TJ
Darley line

Re: arc de triomphe

Postby TJ » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:31 am

stancaris wrote:I am interested in taking a trip to see the Arc De Triomphe race in France on the first weekend in Oct 2013.

Anyone have any info they would like to share about going on such a trip for a week in France and a few days at the races leading up to and including the famous Arc race? Tours recommended, places to go etc. My wife and I do not speak French so a tour guide would be best.

Hi Stan,
You might want to check this link. Specifically worldwide horse racing tours.....
http://www.horseracingabroad.com/tours/ ... omphe.aspx
If you are looking for much more, check out this site. TJ
http://www.ambassadortravel.com.au/tour ... 13_arc.htm

stancaris
Restricted Stakes Winner

arc de triomphe

Postby stancaris » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:02 pm

TJ: Thanks for the links.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Bring along a nice suit and you will fit right in, not formal like Royal Ascot but everyone is dressed well and it really is a great card as well as the Arc feature. You can probably get one cheap on the Blvd Saint Michel and have a great time walking in Paris. Definitely a bucket-list trip for sure and the weather is usually a pleasant fall afternoon. I would trade places as I last was there in the mid-eighties when Rainbow Quest won on a dq, have fun.

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Postby Patuxet » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:34 am

Longchamp can be conveniently reached via public transportation from just about every arrondissement, as the various section of the city are called. I've gone there directly by metro and a short bus ride. Arc day is crowded, otherwise not.

Paris is a great city. No matter where you look there's something to delight the eye. So much city and art to explore. And you'll never eat better food. One of my most moving experiences was to attend an Evening Concert at Saint-Chapelle as famously described by John Updike:

The celebrated windows flamed with light
directly pouring north across the Seine;
we rustled into place. Then violins
vaunting Vivaldi's strident strength, then Brahms,
seemed to suck with their passionate sweetness,
bit by bit, the vigor from the red,
the blazing blue, so that the listening eye
saw suddenly the thick black lines, in shapes
of shield and cross and strut and brace, that held
the holy glowing fantasy together.
The music surged; the glow became a milk,
a whisper to the eye, a glimmer ebbed
until our beating hearts, our violins
were cased in thin but solid sheets of lead.
"He is pure air and fire and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him; he is indeed a horse ..." Wm. Shakespeare - Henry V

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:07 pm

It has been a while since I was there, but Paris is great. Nice places to eat (cheap to expensive) and the Metro is very useful, it'll bring you everywhere in no time. I do not know exactely but we had some kind of 'daycard' to travel the whole day by metro.
I remember I was in a bus to Longchamp in the middle of ...many, many English racegoers, lots of fun however.
A few days before we went to Auteuil jumping, and that is one amazing experience.
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.