Cost Inflation in the Industry

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:05 am

FOS wrote:Maybe you have a mysterious/wondrous telepathy 8) ...after all, you speak as if you know that Fort Larned was over anxious :wink: .

I'll never forget one particular big race that we won some time ago. We actually finished 2nd, and the horse that got to the wire first was clearly MUCH the best. BUT...the inquiry sign started flashing, and soon thereafter (as you might expect) so was the Objection sign. After quite some time, the stewards took the previously apparent winner's number down. Replay after replay after replay (over and over and over) didn't show much in the way of contact :shock: ...but who am I to argue :wink: :lol: , or question the stewards.

Suddenly the lights stopped flashing, and was MUCH surprised to see our number moved up to the winner's spot. Call it what you want, as far as I was concerned...that was Luck.

Respectfully.

A 1000lb beast hyped up and rearing to go.
Jumps out of the starting gate pushed along by the jockey amid shouts and roars - Yes Fort Larned was over anxious.

So you benefitted from a bad decision made by a steward.
A decision made by a man not some mysterious force in the universe a concious human made decision. Why not just call it as such?
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:53 am

FOS wrote:hi dublino...hi all

dublino wrote:[quote=

Hard work and horsemanship (your words),

Respectfully.

Hi FOS,
Those words were actually mine....Dub edited out the part where I continued to say....
Hi Dub,
I believe good horsemanship and a fair amount of being in the right place at the right time helps....I'm inclined to call it luck, but I don't feel it would be applied in the context of what you think luck is (an excuse for loser's bad decisions). In this business luck is brought about by hard work and good horsemanship to turn ordinarily bred horses into decent hard knocking race horses.
..... The being in the right place at the right time is something that could fall in the realm of that mysterious entity...luck. I know Fort Larned's feet were in the wrong place at the wrong time and his rider's seat may have been too, no luck:>) TJ

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:46 am

dublino wrote:A 1000lb beast hyped up and rearing to go.
Jumps out of the starting gate pushed along by the jockey amid shouts and roars - Yes Fort Larned was over anxious.

All the other horses in the race met the same criteria, but only one stumbled and lost his rider. I'd say that Fort Larned had some bad luck. :wink:

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14 am

With Easter around the corner you expecting anything delivered by a Bunny?

How's your teeth leave any recently under your pillow for the fairy?
Edited by Moderator

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:27 am

I'll hang onto my teeth as long as possible, thanks. :)

Are you implying though that the other horses in the race were somehow operating under different conditions than Fort Larned? They were not thousand pound beasts (give or take) hyped up and raring (hopefully not rearing) to go? They didn't jump out of the starting gate pushed along by their jockeys amid shouts and roars?

What made Fort Larned specifically overanxious, and the other horses just...I don't know, slightly apprehensive? Cautiously optimistic?

Cotton in their ears maybe? Jockeys only wanted to take them out for a pleasant sightseeing hack? Jenny Craig weight loss plans? What was the difference according to the criteria you set? :)

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:08 am

The difference is your being an ass, end of conversation.

If you want to remain ignorant all your life that's your choice.
Edited by Moderator

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:56 am

So...you don't have an answer or a sense of humor. Duly noted! :D

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 am

pfrsue wrote:So...you don't have an answer or a sense of humor. Duly noted! :D

I have a great sense of humour and have no problem laughing at myself also.

You wanted to know what happened to the horse I gave an explanation.

Being in luck is a silly as the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny.

Quantify luck define how one becomes lucky or unlucky.

There are reasons for everything that happens just putting the down to some mysterious force at work is naive at best, but probably stupid.

I have a pain in my left one with people not taking personal responsibility for their actions blaming x y and z.

I apologise for the ass comment above.
Edited by Moderator

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:14 pm

dublino wrote:I apologise for the ass comment above.

Accepted with thanks. In turn, I apologize for offending you. I promise, I was just trying to keep the question lighthearted.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:10 pm

You didn't offend me I just got irrated and snappy over the whole believing in something that is unproven.
I don't see how any intelligent adult believes in it.

Right gonna read my horoscope, see what's in store for the rest of my week. :lol:

Again apologies.
Edited by Moderator

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:22 pm

hi TJ

TJ wrote:
dublino wrote:
Hard work and horsemanship (your words),

Respectfully.

Hi FOS,
Those words were actually mine....Dub edited out the part where I continued to say....
Hi Dub,
I believe good horsemanship and a fair amount of being in the right place at the right time helps....I'm inclined to call it luck, but I don't feel it would be applied in the context of what you think luck is (an excuse for loser's bad decisions). In this business luck is brought about by hard work and good horsemanship to turn ordinarily bred horses into decent hard knocking race horses.
..... The being in the right place at the right time is something that could fall in the realm of that mysterious entity...luck. I know Fort Larned's feet were in the wrong place at the wrong time and his rider's seat may have been too, no luck:>) TJ

Thanks TJ.

Couldn't agree more.

Best.

Respectfully

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:08 pm

hi dublino

dublino wrote:
FOS wrote:Maybe you have a mysterious/wondrous telepathy 8) ...after all, you speak as if you know that Fort Larned was over anxious :wink: .

I'll never forget one particular big race that we won some time ago. We actually finished 2nd, and the horse that got to the wire first was clearly MUCH the best. BUT...the inquiry sign started flashing, and soon thereafter (as you might expect) so was the Objection sign. After quite some time, the stewards took the previously apparent winner's number down. Replay after replay after replay (over and over and over) didn't show much in the way of contact :shock: ...but who am I to argue :wink: :lol: , or question the stewards.

Suddenly the lights stopped flashing, and was MUCH surprised to see our number moved up to the winner's spot. Call it what you want, as far as I was concerned...that was Luck.

Respectfully.

A 1000lb beast hyped up and rearing to go.

So you benefitted from a bad decision made by a steward.
A decision made by a man not some mysterious force in the universe a concious human made decision. Why not just call it as such?

If it was one steward (singular) as you wrote...maybe it was simply a cockeyed bad decision (as you posted). It wasn't one steward though...rather a majority of stewards(plural). How conscious were they? Based on the decision, I'm not so sure.

Maybe it wasn't just Luck, or some mysterious force in the universe (as you wrote). Maybe it was simply something they were eating :) , or smoking :wink: or imbibing :shock: ...or maybe they were sleep deprived :oops: , or needed new prescription lenses :o ...or a higher definition TV :lol: . Whatever...the win fell into our laps; so Luck it is, as far as I'm concerned.

I hope that you too experience plenty of Luck, when it comes to the horses.

Best.

Respectfully

DDT
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby DDT » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Come on now, who has not heard "Luck of the Irish" at least once? Happy St. Patrick's Day, it took this half Irisholdman to recover, better late than never....

DDT

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Postby RandomThoughts » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:52 pm

To get back on topic, I just shipped a mare back home that needed treatment so I couldn't spend time shopping around. Paid $1400 for a box stall for a 600 mile trip.

A few years ago, you could ship a horse for about a buck a mile. Now it's obviously over $2 a mile. Ridiculous!!
The talented ones will give you an early hint.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:28 am

A few years ago, diesel was not $4 a gallon.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....