Encosta De Lago/Kitten's Joy

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

llbean
Grade III Winner

Encosta De Lago/Kitten's Joy

Postby llbean » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:40 pm

I found the foregoing article on down under stallion Encosta De Lago of great interest:

http://www.aapracingandsports.com.au/br ... encosta_04

His dam is bred a lot like the Sir Tristram/Star Way nick that produced the remarkable and wonderful Saintly.

Truely, the power of the Sadler's Wells; his full brother Fairy King; or their 3/4 brother Nureyev / Sir Ivor cross is absolutly astonishing. (3, count 'em, 3 major leading stallions; Encosta De Lago, Zabeel, and El Prado. Someone should really try combining two of these together in one pedigree.

Brownie points to anyone who can see why this all is especially relavant to recently declared freak Kitten's Joy. (Whose the genius the Ramseys have as their pedigree analysis anyway?)

By the way; I think the guy called it a great female line mostly because of Golden Slipper winner Flying Spur (by Danehill) being under the 2nd dam.

-llbean

Flight
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Flight » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:21 am

Hi this is Flight's Boyfriend.....:)

I'm not as up to speed with my pedigrees as Flight, but I'm fascinated with the group you mentioned. I have a great deal of respect particularly of Encosta as he has been kicking goals for a while off a very modest service fee and has thrown everything from a Group one 2yo winner to hurdle winners, although you'll find Coolmore probably wouldn't mention the hurdle winners outside of England :)

I saw the cross you're talking about, and I'm not sure if you're requiring the two to converge through separate sexes, but I thought of another sire standing in Australia that sort of fits your bill.

Delago Brom is by Encosta de Lago out of a Sir Ivor line mare. He was very good and won at Group One level but probably didn't reach his peak on the track before being retired to stud.

We were considering sending one of our mares to him to get a very interesting mix of crosses, Bavaria, by Royal Academy, and by sending her to Delago Brom we end up with some serious sex-balancing and a Rasmussen to Pheroz Jewel.

Nice pick-up Ilbean :)

llbean
Grade III Winner

Postby llbean » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:46 pm

A pretty good match-up; the only real problem is that I'm not familar with the two sources of Sir Tristram (are they good or not-so-good?).

It's still a big positive that the Sir Tristram inbreeding comes in the context of Star Way (another female line decendant of Selene with whom he had a nick), and that the sire is linebred to Sir Ivor; the dam inbred to Nijinsky, and that the foal will be inbred to Sir Ivor's son Sir Tristram and Nijinsky's sire Northern Dancer.

That makes the foal a modified hybrid, which Michael Powers likes so much. When the parents are inbred to two different sires, I think it's important to check how they nicked or if they're related:

Sir Ivor and Nijinsky have combined in some pretty good horses like Vettori's dam and Great Command's dam and the excellent down under broodmare Dancing Show.

BTW, Are there any Alysheba or Lear Fan mares down there? Cause if there are, someone down there could try a very interesting 4 step plan:

Step#1: Get a daughter of Alysheba or Lear Fan (Alysheba's better for the second gen.; Lear Fan for the first).
Step#2: Breed her to Encosta De Lago or at least a really good son.
Step#3: Hope for a filly.
Step#4: Hope Coolmore snaps up Kitten's Joy and shuttles him.
Step#5: If step 3 and 4 work; breed the filly to Kitten's Joy.

That way you would combine Encosta De Lago and El Prado; both times in the contest of precapitulation. If you choose Alysheba as the starting point; the precapitulation will come through the full sisters Wac and Bel Sheba. And at least in the case of the sire (Kitten's Joy), the precapitulation will have worked to a extraordinary degree.

-llbean

[/u]