Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Baffert horses

Postby karenkarenn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:43 pm

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:54 pm

My question is how many horses did Baffert train the year he lost 7 ?

If he trained 100 he was under the average of 9%. Of course if he only trained 50 his 7 is more than the 9% that died

Stats, as usual only tell part of the story.

grff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:19 pm

There where 11 cardiac failures - 7 of those 11 where from his stables. And I posted it in the Horse care section- I didn't realize that 7 where from his side. I wonder why the Bloodhorse.com posted it before Baffert could say anything. Its really rare to have something like this go on and thats why its news.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:43 pm

something is fishy here....

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:54 pm

agreed.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:16 pm

seven out of how many???

Seven out of 100 is 7%

one out of three is 33 %

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:20 pm

griff wrote:seven out of how many???

Seven out of the 11 horses necropsied under the auspices of the CHRB and found to have died due to cardiac failure from 7/1/11 - 6/30/12.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:44 pm

This is a strange, suspicious, and upsetting story, we should remember we don't know the entire story and probably never will. Sadly, it's the victims (horses) that don't get to tell the truth, instead we have to rely on media and assumptions and our own imaginations.

I believe there is no precedent in this sort of happening. Bizarre for sure, a real shame, and a definite black cloud over this already dark industry.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:00 am

According to many reports there are an average of 20 horses per year that die from by sudden deaths in Caifornia.
These sudden deaths are not just heart attacks. Baffert has some of the best horses on the west coast and a higher percentage of top quality horses racing against the best and trained to the minute to run against the toughest competition around. This could put his outfit at a higher risk for such deaths. Stress can cause such attacks....just ask Baffert who works 24/7 and fly's all over the States and the world keeping up with his horses. Baffert himself succumbed to the pressure of horse racing, taking a heart attack in Dubai recently. The rat poisoning supposedly was of a different variety then is used in the stable area in California tracks....does this mean there is a link between these deaths and the rat poisoning. I doubt that very much. Have you ever walked into your feed room and seen a group of 1 foot rats standing on their back legs while eating through a 50 gallon metal drum to get to your horses feed? If you could sprinkle a little extra down around your barn area to kill them rodents...you would too. These deaths are not out of line with the norm and ignorance in the industry creates these worrisome articles. If they really want to research heart attacks go ahead...but don't put these stories in print then walk away from them, just for the negative impact it leaves against racing. Especially since they will never let you know the actual findings after their investigation....I don't care what they report. There is one important link that can have an impact on equine heart attacks and the first thing I would want to know from the trainer's of these horses is how many of these horses (who recently died from heart attacks) were on Ventipulmin Syrup (Clenbuterol) as a normal part of their training regiment? A very common practice on the backstretch. Why this hasn't been mentioned is why racing is under such scrutiny....why hasn't the great Doctor Arthur attempted this and if he did, why isn't it mentioned in the article instead of the rat poisoning? TJ

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:18 am

This is not the first such article about Baffert.

As I said after the last one, he seems to have upset someone as their seems to be an agenda at work here.

One of his owners Mike Pegram is the current chairman of some board maybe they are trying to get to him through Baffert?
Edited by Moderator

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:54 am

dublino wrote:This is not the first such article about Baffert.

As I said after the last one, he seems to have upset someone as their seems to be an agenda at work here.

One of his owners Mike Pegram is the current chairman of some board maybe they are trying to get to him through Baffert?

Hi Dub,
I agree there is an agenda....just like in NY against Ricky Dutrow and those who were associated with him. Churchill Downs is currently trying not to issue Rudy Rodriguez (trainer of Vyjack) a trainer's license in their State. TJ

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 am

I would have gone to war for Lance Armstrong the legendary cyclist to defend him from those false accusations that he took dope to win races.
:oops:

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:02 am

Actually I think that these revelations are very worrying and to talk of "agendas" against various people in racing is a red herring as officials have a duty to pursue the smoke trail to find the fire. Personally I care nothing about Dutrow's rights and the mess that is now unfolding around his suspension ,he has pushed the envelope for years stealing from owners/trainers who play the game straight. Baffert's failure to come out and address these deaths is also worrying as one would think that he would be the first to come out publicly and express his concerns ; but not a word . The silence is deafening ! Yes he has many horses to work with but sudden cardiac arrest in horses is extremely rare and he should be up in arms trying to stem the slaughter and show concern; but no response. Several years ago we talked here about the sudden death of a very nice horse "Go Between" who died of a heart attack after training one morning . They could not reduce his heart rate down after the work which to me sounds very much like they gave him too much clenbuterol before the workout. Strangely enough he was "cremated" before any tests could be done, ......another moment when I just thought to myself "really?".

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:35 am

wilf wrote:Actually I think that these revelations are very worrying and to talk of "agendas" against various people in racing is a red herring as officials have a duty to pursue the smoke trail to find the fire. Personally I care nothing about Dutrow's rights and the mess that is now unfolding around his suspension ,he has pushed the envelope for years stealing from owners/trainers who play the game straight. Baffert's failure to come out and address these deaths is also worrying as one would think that he would be the first to come out publicly and express his concerns ; but not a word . The silence is deafening ! Yes he has many horses to work with but sudden cardiac arrest in horses is extremely rare and he should be up in arms trying to stem the slaughter and show concern; but no response. Several years ago we talked here about the sudden death of a very nice horse "Go Between" who died of a heart attack after training one morning . They could not reduce his heart rate down after the work which to me sounds very much like they gave him too much clenbuterol before the workout. Strangely enough he was "cremated" before any tests could be done, ......another moment when I just thought to myself "really?".

Hi Wilf,
I can understand your opinion, but is it possible Baffert is silent for the same reason as the CHRB, since there is an ongoing investigation. The media has a way of blowing things out of proportion. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Baffert just released a statement...this came after yesterday and today's meetings with CHRB and Doctor Arthur. TJ
http://www.drf.com/news/baffert-calls-s ... -troubling