The best horse I've ever owned. How about you ?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

The best horse I've ever owned. How about you ?

Postby Blue feather » Tue May 14, 2013 1:21 pm

We all dream of "THE BIG HORSE". I am curious of how many of you have had that life changing horse. Tell me the story that gives all of us hope.
To date, my best runner who is now a broodmare, a Dixieland Band mare, that won just over 100k while going through her allowance conditions. She raced in a couple stakes but never placed.

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Tue May 14, 2013 7:29 pm

I've only owned one horse a mare that was retired from the racetrack. But I've worked with some nice horses, Cox's Ridge was one. Aptostar,and Topicount were 2 others, I'll try to remember some more, right now my mind is blank! I remembered Silent Account too.

winds

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Wed May 15, 2013 9:42 am

I had to go way back in my memory for these names, Rubiano was in my barn for a short time until there was room for him in the colt barn. His nickname in my barn was Jaws! I don't think any of us escaped his teeth! Small Virtue was an older filly in my barn, such a kind filly to work with. Comic Blush came home to be readied for his trip to S. Africa to stand at stud. He was my "special project". Apparently he arrived to them in the best condition of any horse they ever had.

I'm So Bad was in my barn for a short time, he was his name! Triple Strike was a lovely big dark bay filly that was a joy to work around. She had some ankle problems before she left but did ok on the track despite them.

winds

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Sounds like a long ago relationship with Centennial

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Wed May 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Yea, it was long ago. I'm out of the business now.

winds

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 16, 2013 11:42 am

winds wrote:Yea, it was long ago. I'm out of the business now.

winds

Hi Winds,
Maybe long ago...but you left your mark. How about the filly, Populi that you rubbed...if it wasn't for her, Shug might still be workin' for Loblolly:>) TJ

camohn
Starters Handicap

Postby camohn » Fri May 17, 2013 4:23 am

http://www.pedigreequery.com/wild+by+design
this guy.
He did not race/was a riding horse: best tempered/hardest working horse I ever met. Even tempered, as a stallion could be ridden with mares and listen to me (once he got past the age of 3). Lovely mover, jumped well. Sadly died at only 5 of a broken ankle in a freak accident: got cast in his stall and panicked/kicked the wall so hard before I could get him free that he broke his ankle. Prognosis for healing was poor from the vet so had him euthanized. It was a really horrible day.He is my avatar pic.

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 am

TJ wrote:
winds wrote:Yea, it was long ago. I'm out of the business now.

winds

Hi Winds,
Maybe long ago...but you left your mark. How about the filly, Populi that you rubbed...if it wasn't for her, Shug might still be workin' for Loblolly:>) TJ

TJ, Thank you about remembering I rubbed her. She was an awesome filly to work around. Very difficult for the riders though, she always just wanted to run.

winds

PS- For those of you who don't know, Populi is the dam of Vanlandingham and Temperance Hill's 1/2 sister.

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:38 pm

BRUSHED BAYOU and I'll miss her forever.